BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is a very weird problem. I replaced my main windshield washer pump with a new OEM unit because the old one was leaking.

Now, the regular washer spray is just like the "intense" washer spray....e.g. the liquid comes out of the nozzles in a hard, straight jet instead of a gentle spray that fans out over the windshield like it used to. This is bad because I need the liquid to fan out across the windshield to actually clean it instead of just hammering 4 clean circles into the windshield ****.

What in the heck happened? :dunno:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I presume the pump hasn't got an adjuster for pressure etc???

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I presume the pump hasn't got an adjuster for pressure etc???
No, not as far as I saw when I looked at it. Oddly enough, the part #'s for the intensive and the regular washer pumps are the same. Shouldn't they be different?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't think I ever had a gentle spray, especially after I replaced all the lines and the pump on the main reservoir.

The pumps are identical on mine. To my understanding the "intensive" system is less about power and more about the special no longer available (flammable *****) liquid that it used, plus its reservoir tends to be warmer as a by product of its proximity to the engine. Intensive does double up on the amount of liquid as each sprayer has one hole for the regular system and the second for the intensive system.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when I first bought the car, with 86k miles and the original washer pump, the spray was like any other car's....a wide spray pattern that covered almost the entire windshield with fluid. The intensive fliud always shot out like a friggin cannon in straight jets....like my regular washer pump does now.

Maybe I only got the gentle spray because my original pump was worn out after 86k of use? That's odd though because my friend's E46 M3 sprays just like mine used to. Hmm....

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Ok this is a very weird problem. I replaced my main windshield washer pump with a new OEM unit because the old one was leaking.

Now, the regular washer spray is just like the "intense" washer spray....e.g. the liquid comes out of the nozzles in a hard, straight jet instead of a gentle spray that fans out over the windshield like it used to. This is bad because I need the liquid to fan out across the windshield to actually clean it instead of just hammering 4 clean circles into the windshield ****.

What in the heck happened? :dunno:
On my car, the pressure was the same between intensiv and regular...but which reservoir it draws from is different. I think they meant intensiv because the fluid it uses is very high in methyl alcohol compared to the 1 bottle:4 gallon mix they sell as regular washer fluid.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Would love for others to chip in with their experience. The part numbers are the same on RealOEM for the pumps.

I've replaced the main reservoir pump, filler hose, the washer lines (set has both intensive and normal) AND one of the sprayer nozzles. Other than having to AIM the nozzles a bit down so as not to douse cars behind me I haven't had any issues with function and this setup is pretty much as close to new as you could get.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you guys are saying that your spray intensities are the same, I'm guessing my initial gentle spray was just a weak pump.

If that pump wasn't leaking I'd put it back in there in a heartbeat! The washers are pretty much useless now.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that would be awesome.....the X5 nozzles are $25 each....any idea if they would fit?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Mine come out in 4 jets but the wipers quickly spread the fluid and clean the whole windshield. Your wipers are coming on? dumb question but covering the bases. Have you seen this on proper adjustment of the sprayers. The washers work great at a stop light or at 160kmh. have you seen this?
Adjusting_windshield_washer_spray_nozzles.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Mine come out in 4 jets but the wipers quickly spread the fluid and clean the whole windshield. Your wipers are coming on? dumb question but covering the bases. Have you seen this on proper adjustment of the sprayers. The washers work great at a stop light or at 160kmh. have you seen this?
View attachment 126396

This is how I have mine adjusted...but I'd rather have the fan pattern. Better for soaking the nasty lovebugs we get here before they get wiped off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's what I'm not 100% sure of. I guess I could pop one off my X5 and try it on my M5 if I werent so lazy
Based on the below I'd say no, the M5 nozzles have TWO nipples each, one for the regular and one for the intensive lines. The X5 nozzles only have the one line. Who knows on the physical fit and electrical connections.

X5

M5

·
Registered
459 Posts
Think it was an old audi, had powerful fan that covered whole screen, must have used a gallon a second, bloody great that was.
Not seeing the road for a second or 2 wasn't so hot but still...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Based on the below I'd say no, the M5 nozzles have TWO nipples each, one for the regular and one for the intensive lines. The X5 nozzles only have the one line. Who knows on the physical fit and electrical connections.

X5

M5
Yeah I noticed that too but I'd simply disconnect the useless intensive spray lines and be happy to have a useful washer spray pattern. Or maybe run the X5 nozzles just on the driver side.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts