BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beauty must be more than skin deep. So what if it looks like I am driving a Pontiac with a big butt. I love my current M5. I didn't buy it for looks, but at least it looks classic BMW. I just don't think the new-fangled Bangled designs have that BMW DNA. All the underneath stuff looks great on the E60. I even think I'll like the new SMG.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to agree with you, I do not like any of the new designs, The 7 is hideous, the 5 got a little better, the z4 I could live with ;) , The 1 is so ugly, but the new 3 looks much more subtle, or is it I am getting used to what BMW are throwing at us.

Don't get me wrong I am an ardent BMW fan form the days of the 325is (man that was my best car to date). I have an M3 (2004) at the mo, but I really had to drive it took make me take a closer look.

But BMW have obviously done their research. The new shape appeals to the youger ppl, my son is 18 and likes the 5 and his buddies too, but I dunno how many 18 year olds go buy 5,s?

I have ordered the M5, but only for the machine it is, I keep looking at the pics hoping 1 day I will say "man she is a looker" ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't mind the looks (I hated it at first) but I am swayed by the fact the car has an incredible drivetrain and M5 body treatments. Its kind of like the ugly girl thats good in bed. She just might grow on you after time.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Am I the only one in here who likes all the "new" models (1,5,6,7) except the upcoming 3-series???

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jos said:
Am I the only one in here who likes all the "new" models (1,5,6,7) except the upcoming 3-series???
I hope the exterior styling grows on me, but since I'll be driving it and not looking at it, I think it'll be OK. Just got the contract signed and deposit down. Now I just have to wait A LONG TIME.

·
Registered
246 Posts
jos said:
Not quite! I have been an ardent supporter of bannishing Bangle to Ford Motor Co. I just couldn't stand the appearance of the E60 M5, especially the full on profile. But I could not deny what an incredible machine it is, the more I read about it, the more videos I saw of it, the more conflicted I became! I even thought going M6 was the perfect compromise........the powertrain without the ugly! After viewing the danish "Wedding Video", I hauled *** down to a local BMW dealer and said "I do". Now an amazing epiphany, and this is the first public admission: I like the styling of the E60 M5 now, I mean I really like it, and think that Chris Bangle could be the most misunderstood, automotive genuis of our time.........well maybe not!

I also look forward to SMG and I-Drive!

:cheers: simmikie

·
Registered
816 Posts
The styling on the M5 is much better thn the standard 5 series, and I must admit they look better in the flesh than on paper. I think the Bangle designs are extremely three-dimensional, meaning that to see the cars on paper/photo do not give them justice; they look much better in front of you REAL. But they are not the best looking styles around. It has gradually grown on me. One of the reasons why I'm getting the M6 is because I think the 6 is better done than the 5.

·
Registered
88 Posts
IMHO the E60 is and always will be ugly.

I have never bought a car that i would not look back at when i was walking away.

I was devasted and disappointed when i saw the E60 as i had decided i would drive nothing but M5's for the rest of my life - not any more - will have a 5 year sabatical until next M5 is issued or M60 is face lifted due to poor sales

how important are looks? very.

If we continue to order the E60 M5 then BMW will not change it :confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
My taste for the styling of the E60 has changed, its starting to grow on me. The funny thing is, everybody is saying how ugly the rear end is while I absolutely love it :). And as said before the car looks alot better in flesh.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
One of Bangle's goals is to create different personalities for each car in terms of its look. It looks to me like he has succeeded since we all like or dislike various models.

My take is traditionally (most) BMWs were not drop dead gorgeous cars, but were straightforward designs that made sense and the more you drove it, the more you grew to appreciate its simplicity and functionality. I think in that regard, the traditional designs were more like the decent looking girl who was good- you then did another look and saw more beauty than at first.

We got used to how things were. I think any change was bound to upset us. I also think Dr. Panke was right when he said they did a bad job preparing the real hard core fans for the changes. I think they could have reached out by sharing some of the "de-classified" info with places like M5Board or held events like the open house they run in NJ during the summer.

In the end, it was how BMWs drove that truly set them apart. Once you bought into it, then the styling becomes an issue. So maybe they thought if they still drove great, they could weather any problems or confusion over the styling. Add in new controls (iDrive) and its a tough marketing problem. That they have weathered the storm so well is a real testament to how strong the brand is. MHO: they cannot afford another "revolution" in the next generation of cars- they will be really testing the brand loyalty of their fans then.

BMW was smart enough to know they had to stay ahead of the curve and they began their new styling program. I think they were 100% right to do it. Look at how badly the new XJ is selling- its a handsome car with evolutionary styling but its certainly not ground breaking styling.

So we know they had to make changes but the question we as customers and fans have to ask is are these changes for the better? I think they could have done better, but I cannot suggest what that would be because that's not my area of expertise. I have to say that the more I look at the 3, I think its the best effort to date- it has all of the elements that have to come to define the "Bangle" look and yet, it doesn't look too cartoonish. I like the 1 too. Wish it was coming to the US- I think they will get a variant in here someday. Out of all the cars, the only one I just cannot understand at all is the Z4. But this is the one to take the most risks on and they did just that.

Digi,
I think if you could make the step to put an order in, you will grow to accept and perhaps even enjoy the styling. If you don't, sell it somewhat quickly and there will still probably be demand to let you get out cost neutral or perhaps with some spending money in your pocket.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Actually for me it's the 6-series front end that I swear is a Pontiac until it's close enough for me to see the Roundel. Then, if I come up on a 6er from the rear, I swear it's a Dodge Sebring with Dodge Neonish tail lights.

MJ
'03

1 - 14 of 14 Posts