1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mainly in the 1/4 mile sprint...
Top speed.....
0-60.....
On a decent race track where you do use 2nd and 3rd and even 4th on the straights.....

Also if anyone has owned a BT, is ti more expensive to maintain?

Juat asking as I am very curious about meeting one in our next local meet.

Regards

J

PS Have ordered a Gtech Pro SS, so can post my car times soon!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
BMW M5 3,8

0 - 80 km/h 4,4 s
0 - 100 km/h 5,7 s
0 - 120 km/h 7,7 s
0 - 140 km/h 10,0 s
0 - 160 km/h 13,0 s
0 - 180 km/h 16,5 s
0 - 200 km/h 21,1 s
Vmax 250 km/h

Alpina B10 BiTurbo

0 - 80 km/h 4,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 120 km/h 7,8 s
0 - 140 km/h 9,8 s
0 - 160 km/h 12,3 s
0 - 180 km/h 15,7 s
0 - 200 km/h 19,7 s
Vmax 290 km/h

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thats a fair bit of difference.

The real difference would be in gear acceleration.

You dont happen to have 3.6 times do you?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The BT really seems to come to life at 140kmh. Well I suppose two turbos will do that for you. :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I was offered a B10 before I purchased my M. I declined as I would rather not have turbos on a car that I am going to drive hard on tracks. Also the interiors put me off abit.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BURTON said:
I was offered a B10 before I purchased my M. I declined as I would rather not have turbos on a car that I am going to drive hard on tracks. Also the interiors put me off abit.
-------------------

They are definitely lacking the M appeal in the inside, dont like the wood Alpina use especially. Love the effortlessness of high speeds though - probably down to the softer suspension?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes thats my point. Also it would be a limited production car.. But i felt it would never live upto the M.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Jahangeer said:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=549090#post549090

There is a discussion re the Alpina B5 vs the M5 E60, I tried to keep our end of the M5 tradition up, but am alone - may need help - read the link, its quite interesting....

Rgds

J
I read this thread and when I have read a little more about both I will certainly help although I think you are doing pretty well already.

This seems to be the same as the debate that there was between the BiTurbo and M5 3.8.

Similar power outputs but a slightly different outcome.

From my view I think both are great but I like naturally aspirated cars. In the past I have had Turbo and Supercharged cars and every time I prefer that linear response you get from a naturally aspirated car.

Also although the parts are still available it is a much more bespoke car and that could make it a little more difficult to get parts. Thsi is not to say that the B10 BiTurbo is any less reliable with proper maintainance than an M5. (We already have problems with the parts supply of some parts for our M5 never mind parts for a limited run of 507 cars!)

The only thing in that debate about the (E60) Alpina B5 and (E60) M5 that would sway me away from the M5 would be if they make it as a Touring or not. I like the practicality and the difference from normal.

But only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But only time will tell.[/QUOTE]
-------------------------

It will indeed - hope they dont take the word of some snotty journalist as bible when the first comparison reviews take place. Journalists have a tendency to like the Alpina exclusivity over the M's performance marque.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Jahangeer said:
But only time will tell.

It will indeed - hope they dont take the word of some snotty journalist as bible when the first comparison reviews take place. Journalists have a tendency to like the Alpina exclusivity over the M's performance marque.[/QUOTE]
One thing was that they mentioned EVO magizine which in my opinion is one of the best, and the concluded that It was "Swift and rapid" against it was the fact the it " Lacked the cachet of the M5". While Autocar stated that the two cars are aimed at different markets.....so this should not make them direct rivals.

Sounds to me that if you want a saloon shaped super car the M5 is still the car while if you want a sporting saloon with a more comfort bias then the B5 is the car and that to me is what makes the difference between the cars.

Personally I think the current Alpina is a little more of an "old mans" choice as they require more comfort but still want a different car. For me the M5 is still King in all incarnations.

Simon

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Simonal said:

It will indeed - hope they dont take the word of some snotty journalist as bible when the first comparison reviews take place. Journalists have a tendency to like the Alpina exclusivity over the M's performance marque.
One thing was that they mentioned EVO magizine which in my opinion is one of the best, and the concluded that It was "Swift and rapid" against it was the fact the it " Lacked the cachet of the M5". While Autocar stated that the two cars are aimed at different markets.....so this should not make them direct rivals.

Sounds to me that if you want a saloon shaped super car the M5 is still the car while if you want a sporting saloon with a more comfort bias then the B5 is the car and that to me is what makes the difference between the cars.

Personally I think the current Alpina is a little more of an "old mans" choice as they require more comfort but still want a different car. For me the M5 is still King in all incarnations.

Simon[/QUOTE]
---------------------------

spot on, I didnt pick up on the "cahet " quote. You are right - tough performance to me - means something totally different to an Alpina buyer, who will look at performance in the highway accelleration times, I will look at it at breaking distances, g-forces, track times, and lastly look at in gear accelleration.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Also the final thing that we look at is the feel and handling of the car and for me the M5 is still head and shoulders above the rest, both B5 and other rivals.

For me the M5 shaped package is what I want out of a super saloon (or Estate) and this is how I think I will be for quite a while. Others may need the more pillowey ride that the Alpina B5 offers but that is their choice and IMHO I think their loss.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Jahangeer said:
Mainly in the 1/4 mile sprint...
Top speed.....
0-60.....
On a decent race track where you do use 2nd and 3rd and even 4th on the straights.....

Also if anyone has owned a BT, is ti more expensive to maintain?

Juat asking as I am very curious about meeting one in our next local meet.

Regards

J

PS Have ordered a Gtech Pro SS, so can post my car times soon!!
top speed 290km
0-100 5.2
0-160 11.6

0-400m 13.2(172km)

If you have an average income and have to go to a garage,a BT is a seriously expensive car to maintain.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cor-Jan said:
top speed 290km
0-100 5.2
0-160 11.6

0-400m 13.2(172km)

If you have an average income and have to go to a garage,a BT is a seriously expensive car to maintain.
---------------------
An M5 - 3,8 with my mods should come closer to this figure, and was the reason I was curious. i really hope I run into one soon. Or if anyone in Sweden is reading this that knows of a biturbo owner.......

·
Registered
885 Posts
Till 200km/h there's not much in it.From there,the BT is unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
would love to try one out.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Howie.San said:
a few interesting links

-----------------------------

"interesting" is grave understatement, fantastic links sir. they really love the B10 bt dont they.

Thanks for those links, its a great webpage on some truly phenomenal cars, love those Porsches too, not to mention the M3 GT.

regards

J

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Jahangeer said:
Howie.San said:
a few interesting links

-----------------------------

"interesting" is grave understatement, fantastic links sir. they really love the B10 bt dont they.

Thanks for those links, its a great webpage on some truly phenomenal cars, love those Porsches too, not to mention the M3 GT.

regards

J
J

I have just posted this "Just picked up the latest version of BMW CAR June issue (a UK publication) and their information about the next issue is that they are having an M5 fest - All four generations of M5 plus M5 vs B5 published June 16 (July Issue)

I am sure this will be the first of many such tests.

Simon"

On that B5 discussion that you highlighted earlier also it may be of interest for members of this part of the board.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts