BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very faint ticking that can be heard at around 3K rpms on up.

Only happens when in gear - car has 100,000 miles on the clock and changed diff and gear box oil about 1000 miles ago.

Car pulls fine.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does it sound like marbles in a can? If so, then that's detonation which could be caused by excessive heat, bad gas, lean conditions etc...If it sounds like ticking it could be your headers or possibly or an exhaust leak? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BGKBCK said:
Does it sound like marbles in a can? If so, then that's detonation which could be caused by excessive heat, bad gas, lean conditions etc...If it sounds like ticking it could be your headers or possibly or an exhaust leak? :cheers:
Not like marbles in a can at all - just a faint ticking.

I have zero mods.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Might be an old lifter, but those you will usually hear at idle too, out of gear. Does it tick in every gear? Is it just at 3k and then go away or is there a range of rpms it ticks at?
:cheers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hmmmm...I'd assume it's an exhaust leak but I'm no mechanic...However, from the way you describe it that's what it sounds like to me...Maybe someone else in here has had this problem before...Worse case, take it the dealer or a reputable shop and have them diagnose it - - probably an one hour labor tops!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BmwNut said:
Might be an old lifter, but those you will usually hear at idle too, out of gear. Does it tick in every gear? Is it just at 3k and then go away or is there a range of rpms it ticks at?
:cheers:
Not at idle or when out of gear - from 3k up or when the other noise (wind engine) overwhelms this faint ticking.

Having put all of the miles on the car, I know it inside and out - have not contacted the service dept yet.

Board usually knows more.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
As BMWNUT asked, does it tick the same at 3k RPM in all gears?
Does it depend on load (acceleration)?

David

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today was the 1st time I have ever heard this - tomorrow, I am going to put it through an extended test to see if we (mostly you guys) can pin this down for me.

As always, thanks so much and look for a follow up tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
i'm still a little unclear. Is it in every gear, in neutral, no load. no noise below 3k? Can you hear it in the car, with the car/windows closed up?
Might be worth checking the plugs, a loose spark plug will cause some noise like this.
Mike

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mottati said:
i'm still a little unclear. Is it in every gear, in neutral, no load. no noise below 3k? Can you hear it in the car, with the car/windows closed up?
Might be worth checking the plugs, a loose spark plug will cause some noise like this.
Mike
Mike - yes, every gear - not in neutral, no load and no noise under around 3K

I'll know more tomorrow - (Hopefully)

·
Registered
71 Posts
any update on this tranck or did the problem just go away ?

I'm experiencing the exact same thing for the past couple weeks, a timing related ticking\clicking noise from the engine under load irregardless of rpm, ie. 1500rpm 'tick tick tick' under half load to rapid succession 'tick,tick,tick' under full load right throughout the rev range (at first I thought it may have been valves hitting pistons :eek:h:). I replaced both vanos solenoids which alleviated the notorious startup rattle but figure this is either a timing chain tensioner or hydraulic lifters ie. something mechanical as the diagnostic reader doesn't return a fault code and the car runs reasonable well otherwise with lots of power and has new maf's cps etc.

I presume its going to be difficult to pinpoint a cylinder with stethoscopes etc. as the car sounds almost perfect when stationary and being revved in the garage, the problem only emerging while the engine comes under load, so would a stuck 'lifter' be immediately obvious once the rocker covers been removed?

It's a VERY loud noise (almost like someone tapping the engine block with a hammer :confused2) on cly. 1-4.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Úbermensch said:
any update on this tranck or did the problem just go away ?

I'm experiencing the exact same thing for the past couple weeks, a timing related ticking\clicking noise from the engine under load irregardless of rpm, ie. 1500rpm 'tick tick tick' under half load to rapid succession 'tick,tick,tick' under full load right throughout the rev range (at first I thought it may have been valves hitting pistons :eek:h:). I replaced both vanos solenoids which alleviated the notorious startup rattle but figure this is either a timing chain tensioner or hydraulic lifters ie. something mechanical as the diagnostic reader doesn't return a fault code and the car runs reasonable well otherwise with lots of power and has new maf's cps etc.

I presume its going to be difficult to pinpoint a cylinder with stethoscopes etc. as the car sounds almost perfect when stationary and being revved in the garage, the problem only emerging while the engine comes under load, so would a stuck 'lifter' be immediately obvious once the rocker covers been removed?

It's a VERY loud noise (almost like someone tapping the engine block with a hammer :confused2) on cly. 1-4.

Any ideas ?
UB,

VERY bad news for me regarding the "ticking".

Leith BMW in fact DID put the mechanics' stethescope on the block and determined the problem.

I spun a bearing on cylinder #4 which messed up a connecting rod which put the crankshaft out of spec

The car has been at the dealership for over a month and they just completed the work.

16 new bearings, 8 connecting rods and a new crank.

The good news is that when they took apart the engine, the pistons, rings and cylinder walls looked "brand new" according to my tech.

Although the car just turned 100,000 miles, BMWNA came to the plate and paid half for the parts and labor basically because my service was better than recommended and I never beat the car at all.

What I thought were the cats turned out to be a major engine problem.

While the engine was out, since the clutch had over 50,000 miles on it, I decided to replace it as well as the water pump to save on labor.

I also replaced both cats because I used leaded gas on a # of fillups mistakenly.

Fwiw, I also had the heads replaced about 10,000 miles ago due to carbon buildup (Bmw also paid half of that as well) so in effect the car should be good for another 100,000 miles.

Car is currently at the paint shop where the front end of the car is being re-painted due to road rash.

I should have a new car this week.

Hopefully, your problem will not turn out as severe as mine - best of luck with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hooooly sheeeet that sucks, sorry to hear that man, I better do a compression test pronto, did you run low on oil or something ?

It's a nice car but I think i'd throw a match to it and claim the insurance rather than cough up for what's basically a new engine

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Úbermensch said:
hooooly sheeeet that sucks, sorry to hear that man, I better do a compression test pronto, did you run low on oil or something ?

It's a nice car but I think i'd throw a match to it and claim the insurance rather than cough up for what's basically a new engine
This car's oil level has never been below a quarter of a litre low and I aways used the recommended 10W-60.

I contemplated the insurance thing but, after reviewing the Kelly Blue Book value of a 6 year old 2000 M5 with 100,000 miles and a bad engine, it came up ZERO value.

Even if I got $10,000 for it, I was not going to take a hit like that on a $75,000 car.

I now basically have a new engine and the car truly is immaculate and with BMWNA coming to the plate like they did, I felt like it was the way to go.

Again, hopefully you just have an exhaust leak or something minor on your car - good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts