BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Yesterday plan was change my waterpump, thermostat and oil.
The waterpump service went perfect but when was time to change the oil it gets intresting.
Have to take oilpan off beacause my threads was f*ucked and we decided to do helicoils.
Here is what we found from oilpan http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...e-intresting-stuff-after-removing-oilpan.html

After that we compared some old vanos unit washers and bingo.
So part 9 was "cutted" half off

As you allso can notice that very early made cars has different type locking rings. They are not so tight like newone so the washer moves pretty mutch and very easy.

After changing all parts and cleaning vanos units we put them back, looks like new ;)

After that camtiming was done, lower torque is amazing now. Big difference.
Iam pretty happy now, 40euro parts and 14hours of work(vanos) and car running amazing once again :)
Have to say VERY BIG THANKS to Raikku who helped me out without any warningtime or planning :goldcup:

PS: Sorry for big pictures:deal:

More pics: Index of /~burnout_187/M5/Vanos

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
No problem,my friend!
You also helped me quite a lot!:goldcup:

I am just glad it was a quite cheap and easy fix.
And that we catched this ****e before more potential damage was done!

And yes,these pics are way too BIG!

:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Great that you got it back together, Raikku strikes again :goldcup:

What I find hilarious is that when I had the only big problem during my 6 years of e36m3 ownership, the part that caused it was pretty much the only part of the engine made by someone else than BMW - The vanos, built by Rolls Royce themselves. I thought they only made the e36 parts but lo and behold, in your pics...

A-HA!

Look like they have kept the quality constant even to this day and the near-catastrophic airbus incidents... :hihihi:

Sorry about the hijack, hope to meet you & your beast if the january meet happens!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
We already had some dirty jokes about the Rolls-Royce thing today...hiha

At bleast it is not built by Lucas,otherwise it would never work

IIRC,they built the Vanos units only on the early cars,BMW used later a different manufacture...

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
We already had some dirty jokes about the Rolls-Royce thing today...hiha

At bleast it is not built by Lucas,otherwise it would never work

IIRC,they built the Vanos units only on the early cars,BMW used later a different manufacture...
How in the world did I not know this? Wonder if my vanos are RR or other?

--Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts