BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe some of you engineers can chime in. I had called dinan to ask about the oil cooler for the M5. It is part of the S3 package, and according to the S3 review article in the latest Roundel, it can be used in an M5 without the S/C. A fellow bmwcca instructor is getting it installed in his car as we speak.

When i asked about it for my car (called dinan in mountain view) I was asked which oil i used by the person i usually deal with. I told him 10/60, even though my car is a very late 00 and I could use 5/30, i always felt 10.60 was better for my purposes, especially since my oil temps seem to get on the high side on the track. He suggested that I try bmw 5/30! He said the thinner oil is better at heat transfer and i'd likely see some real temp lowering at the track.... Hmmm, might be worth a try i suppose, still the 'recommend' bmw oil for my car.
As a data point, summer driving, ambient temps 90+F, my oil temp will be around 220F under normal cruising. Summer track temps will get to 250-260. After about 10-15 minutes of hard track time, the oil temp and then the coolant temp will start to increase, requiring me to back off a bit. This is with 10/60.
At the last buttonwillow event, with 3 m5's in attendance, two of us were using 10/60 and both had potential overheating issues. The third had no issues, but was using thinner mobil one (0w40, iirc).
Thoughts appreciated!
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
mottati said:
...As a data point, summer driving, ambient temps 90+F, my oil temp will be around 220F under normal cruising. Summer track temps will get to 250-260. After about 10-15 minutes of hard track time, the oil temp and then the coolant temp will start to increase, requiring me to back off a bit. This is with 10/60 ...
I've been using 5x30 on my '01. Even with ambient temps in the low 90s, I don't see 220F under normal street conditions. I would say 185-190F. The needle definitely remains short of 210F at the 6 o'clock position.

At my last track event, with ambient temps in the high 80s, I probably saw a high around 230-240F. Basically, the needle remained between 210F and the next dot on the dial (255F). These were 25 minute sessions at Lime Rock, a relatively short track where you spend a lot of high-rpm time in third gear.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the data Ed. I might try to do a quick drain and refill tonight and see what the temps look like tomorrow while the weather is consistant here.

I was definately over 210 on my way to the office today, ambient temp, according to the car was 86, felt cooler though.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,913 Posts
mottati said:
thanks for the data Ed. I might try to do a quick drain and refill tonight and see what the temps look like tomorrow while the weather is consistant here.

I was definately over 210 on my way to the office today, ambient temp, according to the car was 86, felt cooler though.
Mike
It is plenty hot here in south Florida, and I have never hit the 212 line in street driving. I use 5w/30.
regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
So are they now selling the oil cooler kit? How much?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jayson said:
So are they now selling the oil cooler kit? How much?
Not sure. The guy who wrote the S3 review in roundel is another pacific region bmw cca driving school instructor. He had mentioned the oil temp issue on track that some of us seem to have, steve dinan said you should put the oil cooler in that we use on the S3. His was supposed to go to dinan this week for the oil cooler, i'll check with him later this week, he was unsure of the actual cost.
I called the mountain view dinan, they wasn't sure and are checking on it. They do not have a "kit" per se for the M5, it's part of the S3 package.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
mottati said:
When i asked about it for my car (called dinan in mountain view) I was asked which oil i used by the person i usually deal with. I told him 10/60, even though my car is a very late 00 and I could use 5/30, i always felt 10.60 was better for my purposes, especially since my oil temps seem to get on the high side on the track. He suggested that I try bmw 5/30! He said the thinner oil is better at heat transfer and i'd likely see some real temp lowering at the track.... Hmmm, might be worth a try i suppose, still the 'recommend' bmw oil for my car.
As a data point, summer driving, ambient temps 90+F, my oil temp will be around 220F under normal cruising. Summer track temps will get to 250-260. After about 10-15 minutes of hard track time, the oil temp and then the coolant temp will start to increase, requiring me to back off a bit. This is with 10/60.
At the last buttonwillow event, with 3 m5's in attendance, two of us were using 10/60 and both had potential overheating issues. The third had no issues, but was using thinner mobil one (0w40, iirc).
Thoughts appreciated!
Mike
Have you considered trying out Mobil1 0W-40 in your car on a trck day before spending the money on an oil cooler?

You might be able to achieve a much lower engine temp. and save a few bucks.

Regards,

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
mottati said:
As a data point, summer driving, ambient temps 90+F, my oil temp will be around 220F under normal cruising. Summer track temps will get to 250-260. After about 10-15 minutes of hard track time, the oil temp and then the coolant temp will start to increase, requiring me to back off a bit. This is with 10/60.Mike
Mike,
I think the temps here are similar to what you see in the east bay. Last week, on the 90+ days, I was seeing temps in the 220+ range during slow traffic (stop and go). Once I broke out to normal cruising speed, it was just about 210. I run 5/30. You have the IATS kit, right? Do you think that makes any difference in engine temp...you know, as the mixture runs leaner or richer?
Jeff.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M-Fünf said:
You have the IATS kit, right? Do you think that makes any difference in engine temp...you know, as the mixture runs leaner or richer?
Jeff.
I wouldn't think it'd make that much difference in coolant or oil temps, but yeah, if the iats is reporting lower temps the engine would be a little leaner which could make it run hotter.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Last time I had my car serviced down here in Houston about 3-4 months ago they put 5-W30 in mine although my production date is 12/99. And that was at the dealership. It seems to help with the oil loss. I don't burn as much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Bobistheoilguy.com

As I understand it, higher viscosity oil has lower heat transfer rates- thinner oil WILL (a) cool parts faster and (b) dump heat to a cooler faster. I *believe* this is an inherent property of the viscoisty and not just an issue of lower flow rates of thicker fluid causing less volumetric transfer.

For race applications where HP reduction due to viscosity is an issue, and where oil cooler size is an issue, a thinner oil is fine since rebuilds are acceptable.

They might have some data on relative heat capacity and/or transfer efficiency there as well.

if it is about oil and it exists, you WILL find it at BITOG...

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
MINENCE said:
Last time I had my car serviced down here in Houston about 3-4 months ago they put 5-W30 in mine although my production date is 12/99. And that was at the dealership. It seems to help with the oil loss. I don't burn as much.
Well isn't that a funny data point! Don't know what to say- wonder why oil use is reduced with thinner oil- seems counter to other experiences (mine included)

A

PS I'd be concenred with the dealer using the wrong oil...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Me too. But that's how I look at it, if they break it they'll buy it!
ard said:
Well isn't that a funny data point! Don't know what to say- wonder why oil use is reduced with thinner oil- seems counter to other experiences (mine included)

A

PS I'd be concenred with the dealer using the wrong oil...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top