BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

The dealers are telling me that the first free oil change is set at 15k miles. Now I don't know about you, but I want to change the first oil out after the first couple of thousand miles. I really do not care if it is not free. They changed the transmission and differential oil at 1300 miles.

My question is does it matter who the manufactorer is just so long as the oil meets or exceeds spec? What makes have you used besides the BMW oil? Is 10W-60SAE vs 5W-60SAE or even 10W-50SAE going to make a difference. Where did you get your filter and oil from? Yes, I am actually going to change it myself.

Thanks for your response,

Mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mark: First, the engine is already broken in from the factory. That is why the oil is NOT changed at the 1200 mile service. The drive train - rear and trans is NOT broken in and needs to be brought up to speed methodically, not radically. Synthetic oils do NOT need to be changed every 3000 or even 5000 miles. You would be wasting your money. In fact, non-teflon synthetic oils "rejuvenate" themselves when a fresh quart is added. (Not my opinion but the words of chemical engineer in the oil industry). Porsche owners should be very familiar with this as they were one of the first to use Mobil 1. A lot of them had 12 quart systems and Porsche was emphatic about more miles between changes.

I would let the dealer change the oil. It is covered under your maintenance plan. If they screw up anything, they fix it. If you screw something up, you may be liable no matter how many lawyers you get involved.

If you insist, buy the Castrol from the dealer - should be about $9 bucks a quart. The Performance Center charges that for a quart. If you don't use the Castrol, use Mobil 1. I think it's better anyway but we're splitting hairs here. Go with the same grade if available, although I think at the moment Castrol is the only one that makes the 60 weight oil. Buy your filter from the dealer. I wouldn't trust any after market filter for the M5 this early in the game. The filters are usually the same price or only slightly more at the dealership unless they are reaming you for parts and accessories. It's hard for us to get used to 7500 mile or more oil changes, but technology and chemistry has changed a lot in the past 10 years. Good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by one2000m5:
Mark: First, the engine is already broken in from the factory. That is why the oil is NOT changed at the 1200 mile service. The drive train - rear and trans is NOT broken in and needs to be brought up to speed methodically, not radically. Synthetic oils do NOT need to be changed every 3000 or even 5000 miles. You would be wasting your money. In fact, non-teflon synthetic oils "rejuvenate" themselves when a fresh quart is added. (Not my opinion but the words of chemical engineer in the oil industry). Porsche owners should be very familiar with this as they were one of the first to use Mobil 1. A lot of them had 12 quart systems and Porsche was emphatic about more miles between changes.

I would let the dealer change the oil. It is covered under your maintenance plan. If they screw up anything, they fix it. If you screw something up, you may be liable no matter how many lawyers you get involved.

If you insist, buy the Castrol from the dealer - should be about $9 bucks a quart. The Performance Center charges that for a quart. If you don't use the Castrol, use Mobil 1. I think it's better anyway but we're splitting hairs here. Go with the same grade if available, although I think at the moment Castrol is the only one that makes the 60 weight oil. Buy your filter from the dealer. I wouldn't trust any after market filter for the M5 this early in the game. The filters are usually the same price or only slightly more at the dealership unless they are reaming you for parts and accessories. It's hard for us to get used to 7500 mile or more oil changes, but technology and chemistry has changed a lot in the past 10 years. Good luck.
I like Mobil 1 as well and use it in my vette. Are you saying you are using Mobil 1 in your M5 without problems?

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel
00' Vette convertible NBM

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the detailed answer on the oil issue. You are right about it being very hard to let go of the "change the oil every 3000 to 5000 mile interval" mind set. I am assuming that all e39 M5s produced thus far have the same oil change interval. It was also interesting about the renewal of the synthetic oil when adding a quart. I have 1500 miles on mine and have not had to add any oil to the car at this point. I am assuming by some of the feed back on this board that I am fortunate in regard to that.

So Mobil 1 would be a good alternative to the oil from the dealer? I g\have not been able to locate the SAE 10-60 weight at this time. I'll keep looking.

Thanks,

Mark

ps: Are you a chemist by trade?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The old debate again.The argument of the other side is that the enemy is not viscosity
breakdown but dirt , and this is why the oil
or at least the filter should be changed more often, particularly with American style
driving(lots of short trips etc.).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mark: I am not a chemist, but a college friend of mine is and used Mobil 1 in his 1988 Mercedes 300. The car had over 280,000 miles on it and he had it since new. He changes the oil every 25,000 miles, the filter every 7500, and usually adds a quart when changing the filter. Now, I know that is extreme, but he said the synthetic oil developed by Mobil 1 has a life well beyond the "marketed" life of the oil. Remember, they want to sell a lot of their oil too.

BMW picked up the Castrol contract I believe when they got back into Formula 1. They had used Mobil 1 in their cars up until 1998 (?) I think. Currently, I do not think anyone except Castrol makes the 60 weight oil. i am sure a good 50 weight will suffice, but I'd ask the dealer. They will rpobably tell you to buy it from them.

I am having my oil changed at the dealer and will have it done every 7500 miles, including filter. That leaves no excuses for BMW should anything go wrong. I know the oil in the M5 is a big deal as I learned at the M5 school that our cars have one main oil pump and FOUR auxiliary pumps under the hood! I could not believe it myself, but they showed us where they were. They want to keep the upper end of that motor well lubricated as they are located basically at the four corners of the heads. It was very interesting to say the least. Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise. I will probable use the Mobil I in betwqeen the scheduled changes at the dealer. You are right about not finding the 60 weight anywhere but the dealer. The dealer wanted $11 a quart for the oil. I realize that a lot of people would say that if you have to ask about the price of the oil you cannot afford the car. Well, I believe I am just trying to get the best deal and keep the car in top shape.

Did you get to actually see the four auxiliary oil pumps in the engine? They need to make some high tech windows in the engine compartment so we can show off these fun items!

Thanks

Originally posted by one2000m5:
Mark: I am not a chemist, but a college friend of mine is and used Mobil 1 in his 1988 Mercedes 300. The car had over 280,000 miles on it and he had it since new. He changes the oil every 25,000 miles, the filter every 7500, and usually adds a quart when changing the filter. Now, I know that is extreme, but he said the synthetic oil developed by Mobil 1 has a life well beyond the "marketed" life of the oil. Remember, they want to sell a lot of their oil too.

BMW picked up the Castrol contract I believe when they got back into Formula 1. They had used Mobil 1 in their cars up until 1998 (?) I think. Currently, I do not think anyone except Castrol makes the 60 weight oil. i am sure a good 50 weight will suffice, but I'd ask the dealer. They will rpobably tell you to buy it from them.

I am having my oil changed at the dealer and will have it done every 7500 miles, including filter. That leaves no excuses for BMW should anything go wrong. I know the oil in the M5 is a big deal as I learned at the M5 school that our cars have one main oil pump and FOUR auxiliary pumps under the hood! I could not believe it myself, but they showed us where they were. They want to keep the upper end of that motor well lubricated as they are located basically at the four corners of the heads. It was very interesting to say the least. Let us know what you do.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I bought a bunch of extra oil from the dealer, I keep one quart in the trunk, wrapped in a plastic bag inside a zip lock bag (just in case it leaks I dont want a mess). My dealer said that topping off with Mobil 1 is ok, but theyd prefer it if we use 10w60. now you can call this marketing, etc. they also said I wouldnt need an oil change until the car says so- I will probably do it around 7500-8000 miles no matter what it says.

ME

1 - 8 of 8 Posts