BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An ''!'' came up on my dash today. When checked what it was for, it said I should 1 Litre of oil as soon as possible.

However, the electronic oil gauge on the dash/ i-drive shows I have 0.2 litres left.

What should I do? Should I ignore the message and wait till the reading says 0L, or should I top up now as requested, but then end up with 1.2L ? Does it even matter ?:crying:

I only have to make a 50 mile roundtrip tomorrow, so should be ok, but would like to sort it before the weekend if any one can help ?

Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Search is always your friend, it has been discussed a lot on the forum; but the short version is just add a quart, it will be fine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just put in .8 litres of oil. Then you will have 1 :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Keep a bottle in the boot, and add it all when the gauge calls for a full litre. Remember, the last litre is like a reserve, but overfilling can cause frothing which is not good for the engine. Opinions differ, but Ajax's opinions are always 100% unbiased.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ive got a top bottle in the boot. But i remember reading a thread on this some time ago, and people said you should never overfill. I just wasn't sure if topping the car with 1L when the gauge is showing I had 0.2L left would be overfilling?(even though the car is asking me to top up a whole Litre)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The car is just being nice with an advance warning for those not prepared with a bottle already in the boot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have had to do this alot once before i put oil in when it was saying 0.2 and after i pressed the bc and 1hr later it told me 1.2 and the car was fine but from now on i will hang on till it shows 0.0 then fill with the oil as i have seen warning on some threads its true what the car is saying its just a warning that you need to top up soon just like the reserve for fuel

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
is this kind of problem normal?
because I got the same problem too. my oil is showing 0.7L.
Can I just go to BMW dealer to fill it up for me?!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is this kind of problem normal?
because I got the same problem too. my oil is showing 0.7L.
Can I just go to BMW dealer to fill it up for me?!
0.7L is fine.
My issue was the car was asking me to fill up 1L (on screen warning), despite the gauge reading 0.2L. Adding 1L would have left me with 1.2L, which seems to be a big No NO from what i gather. So I will wait till it reads 0.0L then add 1 L (easy to measure since I have a 1L bottle in the trunk). This isnt an issue for me since my daily commute is only a 50mile round-trip. If it were a long journey I was going on, I would just add the 0.8 L now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts