BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
S38-B36 after rebuild.

Raymond,

I had an opportunity to collect oil from my rebuild (E30 M3 I have sold) S38-B36 powered.(the BlackStoneLab representative confused the engine with S14B20....But that is fine)

My engine has covered 14k miles after I rebuild it and I am very glad to see the lab test with flying numbers! Compression was even on all 6cyl being 220psi.

I am very pleased to see the JE pistons I have used to be accurate in their spec, also the machine shop work matching the piston to bore size, Proper crankshaft to bearings tolerances main and rod. I have spent a lots of time measuring and writing numbers. I have 4 oil changes so far to the trip of 14k miles.

Driving condition: I have done around 5k miles broke in period from the engine. After 5k miles I have driven the car like I stole it. Very aggressive and making pulls after pulls with my friends various cars...very aggressive canyon drive etc...

Over all I am very pleased with the final result.

The Lubro Moly 10W-60 oil shows every time the same additives and the zddp is as usual for Lubro Moly at 950 more or less.

My final conclusion for 10W-60 grade oil is the oil grade I am interest to discus is that on US content it does not matter the oil manufacture specially Imported oils like Lubro Moly, Motul, Total, Castrol TWS etc...EPA Must require the Zink(ZDDP) to be no more than a 1000ppm. That said equals all oil choices the same quality more or less. Sure oils like BradPenn they are advertised as off road type of oils.

I would be very interested to see second LabTest from your M88/3 when you put more miles/km and I want to see your numbers going down!

Regards
Anri

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
E34 M5 124k miles

No so good news for this E34 M5!!!!

After my E34 M5 client blew his hi pressure plastic radiator inlet it happen in a hot day and I don know how long it took him to shut the engine off...

2 Concerns on the table to think of.

1 The lab tests shows little coolant in the oil and in my opinion this is Pre-Head gasket failure.
2. Lots of Iron metals in the oil that is more responsible for piston rings ware or something else metal driven parts. It is proven that in minimal overheat the piston ring are prone to change its tolerances and that might be the reason for the rings to ware more excessive with such a high number.

I will do 2 oil changes with short period of time may be like 1000k miles using 15W40 oil to clean up the system and then back to 10W60. I would like to follow the Iron and the Coolant levels to go down.

Regards
Anri

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
The Track Champion

Hi,

Finally I got the chance to sent the oil drained from our track prep car E46 M3.

The S54 is well known to eat its own bearing shells and I got worry after 8 hard driven track days.

The oil I we use is 10W60 with Zddp additive to raise the level of zink. I think my friend Nick put too much zink and that can be seen in the number bellow. 18XX is too much for our need. My target for Zink level is around 1300-1500max.

This engine has a bearing BMW recall done exact 100k miles ago. The previous owner looks like was not aggressive to the car.

We have covered 3500k miles and 6track days. I was very pleased to see the bearing nuber this low for and S54 engine!

The Iron is very normal to be at that little higher level since the engine make 20min sessions driven at 6500-8000rpm range.

Regards
Anri

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Anri what have you done?

Eero,

From the entire more important information I am sharing and providing hear on public place you have pointed some absolute unimportant note that means "Over the Phone". Should I check my spelling or something ? This sound like a joke to me.

Regards
Anri

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Sorry Anri, silly jokes works for me. I really appreciate your uoa's.
Sure, the best jokes are even greater but always and only in the right place and moment :cheers:

Regards
Anri

·
2,941 Posts
Hi Anri a& Eero,

Thanks for the heads-up; I didn't have much time to give them concideration, but I try to catch-up in tyhe next few weeks

@Anri,

#231 has covered about 4400km in 2.5years on the current fill of Mobil1 EL 10W60. Oil usage is negligable and 4400km is too early for this type of oil to replace; yes, I know that age matters so I am planning an oil-change no later than April 2015 so be patient. At the moment, I am addressing a brake-issue on #231; more about that in a pending update off #231's project thread, hopefully next week.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
#231 has covered about 4400km in 2.5years on the current fill of Mobil1 EL 10W60. Oil usage is negligable and 4400km is too early for this type of oil to replace; yes, I know that age matters so I am planning an oil-change no later than April 2015 so be patient. At the moment, I am addressing a brake-issue on #231; more about that in a pending update off #231's project thread, hopefully next week.
Ray,

Interesting, I always thought that you have over 10k km in the engine.

Damn 4400km in 2.5 years wow that is nothing.

Interestingly I start pushing my engine speed limit at ~7000 after the ~4500k miles trip. I guess my break in time was longer.

Please share with me your personal technical concept of my question: Why have you used 10W60 oil that you will stretch in trip miles in order to use the oil life aka TBN as the oil will allow you ?

What I did on my New rebuild engine was I decided to do 15W-40 Diesel Mineral oil with zddp. In the break in period of time you are more gentle to the rpm and WOT in low gear etc...that means we Don't need synth oil to ensure the proper molecule lubrication at very aggressive driving hi engine piston and bearing speed.

To my personal concept I have used 15W-40 and washed the Metal particles as fast as possible from my engine oil galleys doing (3 oil changes, dont remember exactly but around there before I put 10W60)

I did put 10W-60 oil right after ~4500miles break in period and then I start being very aggressive to the engine and at that time the engine is protected from Synthetic molecules and the 10W60 grade.

Thoughts ?

Regards
Anri

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
Edit on E34 M5 Lab Test

Edit on the E34 M5 lab test:

Looking at the oil test I just have noticed that the ZDDP is around 1219ppm.

Now I do remember when I did oil change I did add half a bottle of ZDDP Red Line and that shows the boost at around 1219ppm witch is plenty to protect the engine.

Again the oil I am using is Lubro Moly 10W60.

I would like to investigate if the French oil Total 10W60 is build from a scratch or its collected from recycler oil as most oils are....

Motul is by far the proven oil that is made from a scratch not made from collected oil and then chemistry treated and re-used that information is provided from back in the days, now days I don't know

The Mobile-1 is for sure build from wasted oil, at the shop we have company that comes and collectes the Old Oil and it goes direct to the Mobile or so...

Material to discus Raymond, dont go away.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Is it possiple to buy,, ZDDP .......in in a can and add to the 10/60 oil ??
Yes Red Line is the product I am using.

For your M70 engine may be not needed since the valve train is not as stressed as the one on S38.

The M70 is using hydraulic lifter also softer springs and the camshaft lift is not near as on the S38 at 10.9mm (if I am not mistaken the valve lift on the M70 is around 9.8-10mm but I am not sure 100%) and at lastly the M70 is making 1250rpm less than the S38. Anyway the M70 is not making power pass 5000...Peack torque is set at low rpms.

I absolute think that you don't need zddp for M70 engine.

Regards
Anri

·
10,445 Posts
I've also used the redline zddp additive. Similar to Anri, i've added half a bottle with each oil change. I was using castrol TWS, but just purchased some supplies of lubro moly 10/60 for the next change. I'll get some UOA done this time around as well with the tws/zddp additive.

this is the product: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Mike,

Yes I am using RedLine zddp. I always have a bottle sitting on the shelf.

Regards
Anri

Attachments

121 - 140 of 243 Posts