BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
No, sump gasket was replaced two years ago; this might explain the high silicon.
So basically the oil pan gasket was replaced, and I believe for 2 years if the car was driven with good oil and long trip should not have much down to none sludge inside the pan..

But, when the gasket was replaced did you guys use Silicon with the new gasket ? If yes, this will explain the hi silicon #.

When you put the gasket and torque the bolts the silicon goes inside the oil pan and I then the Oil is absolute chemical that dissolve anything it in time...The Oil is constant in touch with the silicon and dissolve enough to show in the lab analyst...

I usually never ever put silicon on oil pan, neither when assemble cyl head on in touch with front side of the timing chain cover but on the cam tray I use silicon. I use diff liquid Permatex product that is very strong and when it make few heat cycles becomes like melted brown sugar...

I have noticed the Aluminum is 5 compare to mine engine with more miles is 1 ! So definitely a lot more Piston ware...Is the car have big piston slack in the cold morning start ?

Hear is how I extend my engine life with a lot ! I will target 500k miles on my daily...

On my E24 M6 because its a Daily driver and I enjoy it on daily base ~100miles-160km for that reason shortly when I got my car years ago I did swap large case 2.93 LSD diff form E23 745i for better fuel economy and less revs. As well I have about 100 pounds in reduction from the car. I have changed my transmission with G260 3.82 (1), 2.20 (2), 1.40 (3), 1.00 (4), .81 (5)with shorter gear ratios vs G280 3.51 (1), 2.08 (2), 1.35 (3), 1.00 (4), .81 (5) and also about 10 pounds lighter.

The result is on freeway on 5th gear the engine goes with 140km/h with only ~26000rpm/s versus 120km/h at ~3100rpm/s with 3.91LSD

This is one of the reasons my engine S38-B35 does not touch a Drop of oil in between changes. Ones in a while I do run against E46 M3 to clean up the system.

The acceleration is not that bad from rolling only. I did many time rolling pull against 3,6 and the old Avus Blue 3.8 and I was able to walk with few cars length. But the max speed it will is about 245-250km/h because the gearing is turning too heavy and long but then hear we dont have the chance to drive top speed as on the autobahn in EU.

I believe this is a big part of long lasting engine.

The Euro M635CSi and E28 M5 comes with 3.73LSD little longer than 3.91 for US.

Anri

·
2,940 Posts
But, when the gasket was replaced did you guys use Silicon with the new gasket ? If yes, this will explain the hi silicon #.
Yes, we used some automotive grade sealant and so did my engine shop with the rebuild of my M88/3 so that explains the high silicon in both UOA's. But we didn't use much sealant, only just enough for the cork-gasket to seat properly on the sump.

I usually never ever put silicon on oil pan, neither when assemble cyl head on in touch with front side of the timing chain cover but on the cam tray I use silicon. I use diff liquid Permatex product that is very strong and when it make few heat cycles becomes like melted brown sugar...
Thanks for the tip.

I have noticed the Aluminum is 5 compare to mine engine with more miles is 1 ! So definitely a lot more Piston ware...Is the car have big piston slack in the cold morning start ?
No, it does not.

When Blackstone results are extrapolated to the universal averages, the sample of GD55450 actualy reads 3, which brings this a little more in perspective. What I would like to now is the statistical mean and deviance so I can determine the actual criteria-ranges based on the widely accepted six-sigma method, which is a more scientific approach.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi Raymond ,

For a Blackstone Analysis how many sample tubes do they require and what quantity of oil in each tube ?

It seems a waste of money to have empty sample tubes sent from the USA so I want to find something locally so that I can send oil samples to the USA.

·
2,940 Posts
Hi Raymond ,

For a Blackstone Analysis how many sample tubes do they require and what quantity of oil in each tube ?

It seems a waste of money to have empty sample tubes sent from the USA so I want to find something locally so that I can send oil samples to the USA.
They need 3Oz; for more info, Gas Sampling

·
2,940 Posts
Looks like this thread is for you and I only. Other People does not care I guess... For example a post thread with dyno chart is making all members to click thousand times more in only one day...
Hi Anri,

I have moved your post to the synthetic vs semi-synthetic thread as this is the place to discuss lubricants and additives. I'd rather keep the oil-analyst thread clean; and yes, I agree that until this far, we are the only ones sharing our lab-results, but I have confidence that other members will follow suit.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My Blackstone Oil Anaylsis for Valvoline VR1 20W50: View attachment 163732

GregT56,

Thanks for making the effort to sent your oil for lab test and then post hear! Great member activity.

It would be nicer if somehow convert the PDF file to JPG as Ray and I did so we can see thing more clearly.

How many miles do you have on your engine ? Any rebuild, engine work ? Driving conditions etc...This things are important in order to analyze and make some comments.

Your Lead is as high as mine 5ppm that making me thing that is very normal for our engines. If we change rod bearings this Lead# will go down with a lot.

Aluminum is 2ppm that is perfect low number, mine is 1ppm that stance more for pistons ware.

VR1 shows a lots of ZDDP ppm. 1350 Zinc that is great number for protection. Flash point is very hi and expected for 20W-50 oil grade.

Also is tis VR1 Black bottle or grey ? There are 2 kinds full Synthetic and Mineral VV211 base ?

I think VR1 is great oil for the money, very nice feedback.

Regards
Anri

·
Registered
499 Posts
GregT56,

Thanks for making the effort to sent your oil for lab test and then post hear! Great member activity.

It would be nicer if somehow convert the PDF file to JPG as Ray and I did so we can see thing more clearly.

How many miles do you have on your engine ? Any rebuild, engine work ? Driving conditions etc...This things are important in order to analyze and make some comments.

Your Lead is as high as mine 5ppm that making me thing that is very normal for our engines. If we change rod bearings this Lead# will go down with a lot.

Aluminum is 2ppm that is perfect low number, mine is 1ppm that stance more for pistons ware.

VR1 shows a lots of ZDDP ppm. 1350 Zinc that is great number for protection. Flash point is very hi and expected for 20W-50 oil grade.

Also is tis VR1 Black bottle or grey ? There are 2 kinds full Synthetic and Mineral VV211 base ?

I think VR1 is great oil for the money, very nice feedback.

Regards
Anri
Hi Anri,

I'll see what I can do to convert the file, but I have to tell you that I am not the most adept at computer things. Seems I'm more at home with an old car!

My engine has 56K miles on it and has no rebuild. It has been maintained along the BMW maintenance guidelines.

I drive the car on a regular basis. It is mostly combined city/highway with one extended trip of around 200 miles (on this analysis).

I am using the gray bottle; the oil is non-synthetic.

Agree that VR1 is good value as I am paying around USD5.00/quart. Blackstone said to increase the change interval to 5K, but I am going to stick with my schedule of every 3K or 3 months.

Hope this helps all who have an interest in this sort of thing. I think this is one of the more important threads on the forum and hope more are able to post results.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Hi Anri,

I'll see what I can do to convert the file, but I have to tell you that I am not the most adept at computer things. Seems I'm more at home with an old car!

My engine has 56K miles on it and has no rebuild. It has been maintained along the BMW maintenance guidelines.

I drive the car on a regular basis. It is mostly combined city/highway with one extended trip of around 200 miles (on this analysis).

I am using the gray bottle; the oil is non-synthetic.

Agree that VR1 is good value as I am paying around USD5.00/quart. Blackstone said to increase the change interval to 5K, but I am going to stick with my schedule of every 3K or 3 months.

Hope this helps all who have an interest in this sort of thing. I think this is one of the more important threads on the forum and hope more are able to post results.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Hmm on 56k original miles the Lead is 5 as hi as mine at 200k miles on original engine. :kaffe: Lead # stance for bearings at this moment I can not think of any other part that will make the Lead to go up..

That is very odd to me. 5 is expected number for 200k miles engine but not for 56k

Well the more Lab Tests from different members will make things more clear! It is possible that this engines ware bearings no matter the engine miles but for know its too early to make final statement.

Thanks
Anri

·
2,940 Posts
Hi Anri,

The pdf file is OK; everyone can open that.

Nice results and good to see that VR1 20W50 has a nice stash of ZDDP elements. I also wouldn't worry about the 5ppm lead and I agree not to extend the drain-interval even though the TBN prooves that it is possible.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hmm on 56k original miles the Lead is 5 as hi as mine at 200k miles on original engine. :kaffe: Lead # stance for bearings at this moment I can not think of any other part that will make the Lead to go up..

That is very odd to me. 5 is expected number for 200k miles engine but not for 56k

Well the more Lab Tests from different members will make things more clear! It is possible that this engines ware bearings no matter the engine miles but for know its too early to make final statement.

Thanks
Anri
I asked Blackstone about this higher than normal lead level and they responded that it's difficult to know if this is a significant finding since they have so few results for the S38. Blackstone says to be concerned if an upward trend develops but for now no reason to worry. Sure would be nice if we could get more Board members to submit samples so more reliable numbers could be developed.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I found this write up on Valvoline VR1 today.

I sent my parts man out to get 10 litres of VR1 today and he came back with Valvoline XLD 20W-50 , the shop told him it's the same , the XLD was sent back ...

Racing Oil
What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?
The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.

What is motor oil with zinc?
The anti-wear additive simply referred to as zinc by most car enthusiasts is actually short for Zinc DialkylDithiophosphates or ZDDP. Its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as zinc, this additive actually contains zinc and phosphorus, with phosphorus performing the anti-wear function in the motor oil with zinc.

Why is it important to have the zinc/phosphorus levels in motor oil changed?
With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for motor oil with zinc. The current API standard is SM which replaced the previous SL classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle's emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current motor oil.

What is the controversy surrounding the amount of zinc in motor oil?
Many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in SM motor oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat-tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new motor oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible. This has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern motor oil is not adequate to protect older engines.

What solutions does Valvoline offer to the zinc issue?
Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue:
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil: Contains 75% higher zinc than SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40, and straight 60.
Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car motor oils including SynPower -- the only synthetic oil that offers this additive.

Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or "Not Street Legal" racing oil?
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent of zinc and .12 percent of phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14 percent of zinc and .13 percent of phosphorus.

Will an additive boost the zinc level?
You can use an additive to increase the zinc level. However, check with your motor oil manufacturer to ensure the additive is compatible with your racing oil.

Is VR1 a conventional oil, a synthetic or a blend?
Valvoline VR1 racing oil is a conventional, non-synthetic racing oil.
For more information or to submit additional questions, please click here to contact us via email or by phone at 1-800-TEAM-VAL.

Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > Racing Oil

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
To give you all some more data points. here is a paste of my car's results: (I got this done at The Oil Lab in the UK).

3.8 E34 M5
113k miles
10w40 oil about 2500 miles in.

Summary seems to be some slightly higher wear numbers than others have had but still well within satisfactory limits according to the lab. The silicon number is notable so I will check the air filter. Other thoughts welcome.

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="MARGIN: auto 6.75pt; WIDTH: 477.65pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-table-lspace: 9.0pt; mso-table-rspace: 9.0pt; mso-table-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-table-anchor-horizontal: margin; mso-table-left: center; mso-table-top: 6.6pt; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=637 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 166.65pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=222 colSpan=3> PHYSICAL PROPERTIES<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=64></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 105.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=141 colSpan=2>Viscosity @ 40°C <o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81>cSt<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=64>
72.9<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 105.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=141 colSpan=2>Water Content<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81>%wt<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=64>
0.0<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 105.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=141 colSpan=2>Total InsolubleMatter<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81>%wt<o:p></o:p>
0.3<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 4"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76> <o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=65> <o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81> <o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=64> <o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 5"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 214.65pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=286 colSpan=4> SPECTROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 6"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76> <o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=65></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=64></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 7"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Iron<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=65></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81>ppm<o:p></o:p>
16<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 8"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Chromium<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=65></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81>ppm<o:p></o:p>
2<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 9"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 105.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=141 colSpan=2>Aluminium<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81>ppm<o:p></o:p>
6<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 10"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 105.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=141 colSpan=2>Molybdenum<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 60.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=81>ppm<o:p></o:p>
142<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 11"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Copper<o:p></o:p>
7<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 12"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Lead<o:p></o:p>
8<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 13"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Tin<o:p></o:p>
0<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 14"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Nickel<o:p></o:p>
1<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 15"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Silicon<o:p></o:p>
23<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 16"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Sodium<o:p></o:p>
4<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 17"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Boron<o:p></o:p>
28<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 18"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Vanadium<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 19"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Calcium<o:p></o:p>
2631<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 20"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 105.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=141 colSpan=2>Phosphorus<o:p></o:p>
1029<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 21"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Zinc<o:p></o:p>
1199<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 22"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 105.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=141 colSpan=2>Magnesium<o:p></o:p>
56<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 23; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 56.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=76>Barium<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Hi,

Thanks for posting your oil lab. Its good to know how engine parts are aging. Looks like a good oil too.

I would be little bit not much about your Lead #8 getting close to 10 is not a good sigh. The famous 3.8 rod bearings are showing its age.

A preventative maintenance is not a bad idea some times.

One time I read a very nice thought/logo of a Dentist office says "Don't wait till hurts it's going to be too late!" Deff remember that. Ever since I visit the dentist more than 2wise a year for check ups.

Anri

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What brand oil did you have analyzed? Synthetic or non-synthetic?
10w40 semi synthetic. Davidoli knows the brand as he did it, I forget....

Hi,

Thanks for posting your oil lab. Its good to know how engine parts are aging. Looks like a good oil too.

I would be little bit not much about your Lead #8 getting close to 10 is not a good sigh. The famous 3.8 rod bearings are showing its age.

A preventative maintenance is not a bad idea some times.

One time I read a very nice thought/logo of a Dentist office says "Don't wait till hurts it's going to be too late!" Deff remember that. Ever since I visit the dentist more than 2wise a year for check ups.

Anri
Thanks Anri, that's a helpful observation. One of the main reasons I did this was to detect bearing wear, as I know my car was not used much in the 8 years before I bought it and I was worried oil may have eaten the bearings a little. The lab advised me to do another test a few thousand miles into the next batch of oil and look at trends. If lead goes up then rod bearings is certainly a job that I would consider. I would be interested to get advice on the threshold for concern (you seem to think it is 10?) as the generic (ie non S38 specific) advice from the lab was that up to 20, and maybe higher is fine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I would be interested to get advice on the threshold for concern (you seem to think it is 10?) as the generic (ie non S38 specific) advice from the lab was that up to 20, and maybe higher is fine.
Hi,

Well, I spoke with BlackStone oil lab rep and he was sharing that Lead #10 is deff on the higher/North side bearing ware. Is it going to increase in the future sure it will.

Note from the beginning of this thread different lab test and Compare yours # to ours. Then you will see were are you going up or down in numbers.

Always compare! is what I always like to do. Say you see min 5 oil lab tests and compare it with yours and on all the Lead does not pass more than #5-6 then you should think about it. For example on S62 from many oil lab tests the Lead is Normal to be near by #10. When you change one day the rod bearings you will see how worn they are and then you will get back to Lead # and get an idea...

Anri

·
Registered
290 Posts
On about mile 2,300 of 3,000. My commute to work is very short so I am making sure to find excuses to beat the miles into the 192k mile car. Hopefully I will get the results back while there is still so much attention on all of the results. I am using the same oil Greg is using, too. We only live a few miles away from eachother so the climates are the same. It will be interesting to see the differences between his low mileage S38 and my high mileage one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
On about mile 2,300 of 3,000. My commute to work is very short so I am making sure to find excuses to beat the miles into the 192k mile car. Hopefully I will get the results back while there is still so much attention on all of the results. I am using the same oil Greg is using, too. We only live a few miles away from eachother so the climates are the same. It will be interesting to see the differences between his low mileage S38 and my high mileage one.

Great to hear more enthusiast people are joining the comparison !

Cant wait to see the results and compare

Regards
Anri

·
Registered
499 Posts
Another Blackstone Report

Attached is my second oil analysis. It was done at around 2,900 miles. Everything looks good except the lead level, 6 ppm, is above average. Blackstone says it could be due to the octane boost fuel additive, but they are not certain. Their opinion is that it is nothing to be concerned about. Also, the Manganese level is quite high at 38 ppm. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Attachments

21 - 40 of 242 Posts