BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

241 - 243 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice to see some local Aussie Penrite data on this thread. Back on page 6 there was a lot of discussion about HTHS and a great post from Raymond.

I got in touch with Penrite about HTHS of their oils and they came back with:

HPR 5 - 4

HPR 10 - 3.7

HPR 15 - 5.4

so it seems any of those are suitable for S38 applications from a HTHS perspective. I'm quite surprised how high the HTHS for HPR15 is I currently run HPR10 and have been for quite some time. No UOAs unfortunately, but the car seems happy.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here's my latest UOA from back in late April, again with the fuel dilution.... it's probably excessive idling.

2,828km's on the oil at the time of the test and the car has not been driven much since.

It's time for an oil change.. still deciding whether to just go Penrite HPR10 again or HPR15 or something else altogether.

Attachments

·
2,941 Posts
The latest report from my E34S M5 was received about a month ago, but the sample was taken last year prior to the switch to Motul Competition 300V 15W50. The reason of the delay is that I collected eight samples to save on shipping cost.

The report clearly demonstrates that the metal wear despite the longer service interval continues to drop. This is explained by the preventive conrod bearing and oil pump replacement that was carried out in the spring of 2017 at 195655km (click this link for more information about these works). In the meantime, the 200k kilometre mark has been passed and another oil change is due and scheduled for spring 2020. In any case, the last two reports do confirm that especially for cars that have seen some endurance on the Autobahn or on the track, it is wise to replace at least the conrod bearings when the opportunity arises at some point, e.g. oil-sewage from the sump gasket.

Another report I’d like to share is that of my E28S M5. The last sample was taken in spring 2018, but like the sample for the above mentioned report tested about a month ago

Although the engine rebuild project was completed more than ten years ago (click this link for more information), some remnants are still present due to the very low accrued annual mileage. Nevertheless, the metal wear for this engine has dropped to below the relative average wear for this particular engine as well as the universal ratings for this engine. The next scheduled oil service is planned for the spring of 2020 by when we have the first data to evaluate Motul’s Competition 300V 15W50 for both M88 and S38 engines.

241 - 243 of 243 Posts