BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed the oil temp needle went up to the 210 mark when I came off the freeway. The car has only reached 210 on the rare canyon runs.

I stopped and turned on the oil temperature test on the OBC. If I drive it around 4-5k rpm on the freeway the temperature stays at 96-97C. When I stop and rev it a little the temperature moves between 99-102C. Observe video.

Since this hasn't happened before, I'm a little concerned. Usually while standing the needle is never at the center, which seems to be 99C.
It's got 10w60 and the level is in the middle. I added some oil last weekend.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I drove in the city tonight for about 45 minutes and oil temp didn't go higher than 97C, and KTMP reached 89C max. Then I got on the freeway and ran it around 4-5k rpm for a couple of minutes, both temperatures were stable.

When I got off the freeway the oil temp went up to 103C and coolant up to 94C, but then came down.

After idling for a few minutes I shot the video below. I had the door and hood open so could hear the humming of a fan. What's interesting is when I let go of the gas, the temperature rises a few degrees, and then there's a change in the fan's noise and the temperature goes down. You can barely hear that in the vid around the 13s and 35 marks. ALSO, when I let go of the gas, the interior lights dimmed a little and would go bright again as soon as the fan's sound changes. The AC was off during the video.

I did the newspaper test on the fan at this temperature and could not stop it. Thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
What 10w 60 oil are you using? I've noticed my oil temp rise as well when I switched over to 10w 60 Liqui Moly race tech.
Most likely switching back to Castrol 10w 60 next oil change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What 10w 60 oil are you using? I've noticed my oil temp rise as well when I switched over to 10w 60 Liqui Moly race tech.
Most likely switching back to Castrol 10w 60 next oil change.
It's Castrol Edge 10w60. I did use 3/4 quart of tws last time I brought the level up, but that shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My oil temp ran a little higher briefly this week around the same as you (maybe 2x this past week) but I attributed it to the triple-digit heat we've been experiencing around LA/Valley's.

My first time seeing my oil slightly higher than usual as well so was initially alarmed but it settles back down. Again, attributed it to the LA heatwave this past week. I run 10w60 Redline.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Exactly what Sonny said. Last Sunday, I went to a lunch around 12pm, and my oil was dead in the middle (210) for the most part, then I creep a bit past 210 after doing a redline pulls on the freeway, then I tried to drive conservatively till I got home. It's definitely our ****ty weather lately and maybe the humidity?
I'm also down like half a quart I think, so I might be running a bit hotter than you.

You look fine for the most part, but I know it'll bug the crap out of you for a while, I coulda sworn my oil temp was always between 120 and 210 when I first bought the car, but any old pictures that I find of my cluster would show closer to 210F LMAO!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Your coolant temps are normal for the heat you are having and the oil is running a few degrees hotter than the coolant, which is also normal. The owner's manual says the oil can run in the range 176 to 248F and should not exceed 302F (!).

Just confirm the electric fan visible through the kidneys is running fast and steady (failure is quite common) and if you have a code reader, confirm you don't have a 35 hex code for the fan. Sounds like the clutch fan behind the rad is working well.

Another cause of gradually increasing temps over the years is blockage of the air flow by debris caught between the electric cooling fan and the a/c condenser and between the condenser and the rad.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting, I recently got my M5 and thought it ran too cool, it was normally at the 1/4 mark and only moves up under aggressive driving, but it had been a bit cooler here in Toronto lately. On my e92 m3 it is always in the middle. I guess the S65 just runs hotter.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Interesting, I recently got my M5 and thought it ran too cool, it was normally at the 1/4 mark and only moves up under aggressive driving, but it had been a bit cooler here in Toronto lately. On my e92 m3 it is always in the middle. I guess the S65 just runs hotter.
s62 thermostats tend to stick open so your car might indeed be running too cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My oil temp ran a little higher briefly this week around the same as you (maybe 2x this past week) but I attributed it to the triple-digit heat we've been experiencing around LA/Valley's.

My first time seeing my oil slightly higher than usual as well so was initially alarmed but it settles back down. Again, attributed it to the LA heatwave this past week. I run 10w60 Redline.
I'm closer to the coast and the temperature was in te 80s. I've ran the car in hotter temperatures but never seen this behavior.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your coolant temps are normal for the heat you are having and the oil is running a few degrees hotter than the coolant, which is also normal. The owner's manual says the oil can run in the range 176 to 248F and should not exceed 302F (!).

Just confirm the electric fan visible through the kidneys is running fast and steady (failure is quite common) and if you have a code reader, confirm you don't have a 35 hex code for the fan. Sounds like the clutch fan behind the rad is working well.

Another cause of gradually increasing temps over the years is blockage of the air flow by debris caught between the electric cooling fan and the a/c condenser and between the condenser and the rad.
Both the fans seem to be fine. I'll try to read codes tonight and see if there's some funkiness going on.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I find under stop and go traffic the temperature rises pretty close, if not right at 210F (especially on our 100+ degree humid days here in central florida) and even a tad over that during hard driving ...

It worried me for a while but after i'm moving a steady speed the oil temp typically drops. Just confirm both your fans are working and carry on.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My oil temp tends to creep up (recently) when I'm running the A/C..any thoughts about that? Both of my fans work fine. The only things I can think of are a failing water pump or a bad thermostat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My oil is, no matter what, always at 210 or a hair above under hard driving. I am surprised to hear this is not normal. My water pump is whining.. wonder if this has something to do with it! I've got a new one to put on.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Stefan, your situation for the most part is normal. I experienced the same when I did an HPDE. The car can handle hard driving conditions and the oil should never really reach its ops limits (second dot) on stock setup. What is not normal (as in my case), is the needle going about 2 needles' width past the 210 mark during some city driving at ambient temps of 70-80 F. The only thing I can think of is a failing thermostat not allowing proper coolant flow (but my coolant temp is normal). I do have the "69" code last I checked (engine coolant plausibility). Oil sensor is not that old either. So hoping it's just a bad thermostat. OP, do you have any codes?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts