BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
This was an interesting read! Whats more interesting is that im getting the same errors as you were getting aside from overheating. We tested alternator and its not putting out anything. Swapped out battery and still same issues. Alternator seems to be completely dead or possibly voltage regulaltor. Regardless i ordered the entire alternator. Whats strange is that the alternator is not putting out anything. Usually there should be at least some amps coming from a dying alternator right ? See attached my codes below. When you replaced your FAN was it not working at all? My fan works fine - no issues there.

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FJm2seV7uzNyBZOd1GOpe4WDX-wJvE1R/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This was an interesting read! Whats more interesting is that im getting the same errors as you were getting aside from overheating. We tested alternator and its not putting out anything. Swapped out battery and still same issues. Alternator seems to be completely dead or possibly voltage regulaltor. Regardless i ordered the entire alternator. Whats strange is that the alternator is not putting out anything. Usually there should be at least some amps coming from a dying alternator right ? See attached my codes below. When you replaced your FAN was it not working at all? My fan works fine - no issues there.

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FJm2seV7uzNyBZOd1GOpe4WDX-wJvE1R/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>
Bump. Any insight? Getting 279B code.
Hey I'm sorry, been busy as heck in the new year! When we replaced the fan, it was working but incredibly intermittently. It would take about 15 minutes with car running and overheating to occur before the fan kicked in. We believe it was water/coolant intrusion into the fans voltage/data receptacle from when we did our engine rebuild. We swapped the alternator before that because engine/lights, dash controls, etc... We're surging from the varying voltage. While it was putting out bad voltage, it still was putting out a voltage. You said you bought a whole new alternator, have you had the chance to swap it in? Any changes?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also the 279B code sounds like it is your t-stat needing to be replaced.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Issue has been Fixed. Replaced Alternator with Voltage Regulator - Valeo 439559 is the alternator that comes together with VR. Relay part number is

Also Replaced Relay that is responsible for charging because it was getting very hot and causing battery drain issues. Part number: 61366901469 and it sits in the trunk inside the fuse box.
<table role="presentation" class="device-width" style="width: 584px !important; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Market Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; border: none; table-layout: fixed; border-collapse: collapse !important; border-spacing: 0px !important;" width="584" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center"><tbody><tr><td style="word-wrap: break-word; word-break: break-word; border: none; padding: 0px 0px 16px; border-collapse: collapse !important; border-spacing: 0px !important;" valign="top">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

21 - 25 of 25 Posts