BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first line on the oil temp gauge is 50 deg C and my car almost never exceeds the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> line (70 deg C). During winter which is always very dry and average ambient temp is 15 deg C in my part of SA I can’t get it over 60deg C. All of my other ///M cars I have owned in the past usually runs @ +/-90.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Something else that is strange to me is that when attempting top end runs the oil temp would go up to 80 at the highest @ 160 – 180 km/h and then drops back to 70 deg C or sometimes even lower when approaching > 220 km/h depending ambient temp. Why?? All the other M cars’ oil temp went up and only came down once driven normally again.<o:p></o:p>
Could the oil temp sensor be malfunctioning or could it be the gauge itself? Could the resistance in the sender unit alter itself constantly and therefore give false readings?<o:p></o:p>
Don’t think this is normal.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree - that sounds odd.

My touring warms up to about 90C and then doesn't budge from there much (maybe plus 10C with a period of, ahem, more aggressive driving). My previous E34 M5 saloon also did the same thing. Not sure if that helps, but gives you another reference point.

Could be sensor, but maybe not: I think there is a valve that diverts coolant through radiator - that could be at fault - but hopefully someone who has experience with that can help..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes there is a thermostat for the oil cooler circuit. It is in the base of the oil filter housing I believe. Not sure if it is replaceable though. I can't see it specified on realoem anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts