BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, my gauge stayed at the coldest position for most of the hour long drive in to work. (It is 70 degrees here in Atlanta...) Once I pulled into the parking deck, it popped up to a normal reading, seemed to float around a bit, then dropped back to "0". I checked the oil and the level is good, no warning lights on the dash, etc.

Any ideas?

·
10,458 Posts
my ideas would be bad sending unit or bad gauge. If it persists, next oil change change the sender unit.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Any possibility it would have anything to do with the new hose kit you installed that Im about to install?
Bumped the connector loose on the sender?

·
10,458 Posts
isn't the temp sender the same as the oil level sensor? (as on the e39M, bottom of the pan) if so doubtful you'd have done anything with the vac lines down there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's just the sender. All day today, it's been working fine.... Typical electronic gremlins!!

No - I don't think it has anything to do with the vac. kit, Nik!

·
Registered
763 Posts
isn't the temp sender the same as the oil level sensor? (as on the e39M, bottom of the pan)
No, level, pressure and heat are different senders...I think its on the oil filter block.

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yup - the temp sender is on the oil filter canister. It's the one on top I believe (the pressure switch points towards the front).

Last time I checked the price of the level senders (the one in the pan), I threw up a bit in my mouth.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Last time I checked the price of the level senders (the one in the pan), I threw up a bit in my mouth.
like this new saying for "BMW dealer prices"

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Perhaps more from BMW ..........
This price was from Tischer BMW's online parts service.

But, some stuff at the Honolulu dealer here is 3X the online prices, then mention it's for an ///M car and they add another $100.

·
10,458 Posts
speaking of oil temps, where is the thermostat? Is it integral to the oil filter canister? My car seems to take forever for oil temps to come up to normal, several miles of driving.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Yes Mike , it's a sensor that screws in to the base of the oil filter housing and points in towards the head iirc .

D

·
10,458 Posts
Yes Mike , it's a sensor that screws in to the base of the oil filter housing and points in towards the head iirc .

D
I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing David. Is there a thermostat that controls oil flow to the cooler? Is is replaceable?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing David. Is there a thermostat that controls oil flow to the cooler? Is is replaceable?
My mistake Mike ....... I was referring to the oil temp sensor .

D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Documentation must be hidden somewhere.....

I checked out my bootleg PDF copy of the BMW TIS, engine and cooling...And there's no mention of the oil thermostat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts