BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new. 2008 V10 6sp. (E60 S92M, tell me if I’m close). 120,000 never tracked miles. No issues until just needed alternator replaced. 100 miles later get engine light, low oil pressure light ( but oil gauge reads ok). Look under hood and see oil sprayed, pooling on radiator cover.
Any relationship to this repair?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
The radiator was taken out during this repair and there are two high pressure lines that form a T at the top in this general vicinity and branches out to both banks of the engine. Perhaps one of these lines was pinched or the banjo bolt unthreaded (this would require air bleeding btw!)?

See this thread for the alternator repair

There can be multiple reasons for low oil pressure; hose rupture, blockage, oil pump failure, chain off of oil pump or nut backed off the pump. Are you looking to self diagnose? I would turn the engine over by hand and see if you can pinpoint what sounds like a line rupture.

The pressure is measured by way of the variable timing adjustments; I believe this is completely separate from quantity measurement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If the alternator was replaced from the bottom the radiator wasn’t touched as there is no need to do so. Im thinking it’s not probably related specially if it started 100 miles after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just re-read your post and saw you said it's pooling on the radiator cover. I first read it as it's pooling on the splash guard under the car, not a cover at the top. Sorry.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I’m going to clean the oil off of everything than start the car and watch for a leak. Does anyone know of great service in Fairfield County, CT?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AM update. Car sitting overnight in garage. Plenty of oil on floor. Gauge now reads empty. Cleaned it up. Started car. Sounds like no oil. Any thoughts on lower CT service ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The only way to find out is to put the car on jacks, remove the floor panels and with a flashlight try and find out where the oil is coming from. See what components are wet from oil and try to retrace the leakage path. That or have it towed to a shop in CT

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going to flat bed it. Hoping it’s not related to the new alternator replacement

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has nothing to do with an alternator unless something was damaged while installing. Buy some UV dye and add it in with some oil and find out where the leak is occurring. It's probe a high pressure vanos hose if it's pouring out oil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out there is a crossing wire mesh covered tube conveying oil to the heads that crosses right over the alternator. Torque it out of the way too far while making this repair and it springs quite a leak. From the pan to the hood. How do I bring this up to my service guy? They committed automotive malpractice. I have the broken part.
Any help appreciated

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not quite automotive malpractice, but perhaps some element of negligence, but I think you will have a very hard time asserting that on a 12 year old car with 120k miles. Hoses do crack and wear out over time especially BMW ones. If you are good customer maybe they may cut you a deal, like no labor and part at cost.

That hose is the external HP vanos line, just like the internal one, these things do leak as they age. Could it be leaking at the banjo bolt union with the accumulator? As mentioned above it would quite obvious that is was leaking once you look at when that area when the engine is running right? That hose is under 60-100 bar or pressure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Always taught my kids there is no harm in asking the dealership for refund of repair bill since I never plan to return anyway. The car drives again like the wind. At ninety you can still have a quiet conversation. Not in the others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts