BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 12/05. Talking to the guys at Lang Racing and they don't see the need for swapping to the "updated" oil squirter. Anyone know why the update? What improvements took place?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I recall some 4 year old Troy posts that in some of the engines he was working on; he found some old style oil sprayers had brocken off and did damage

·
2,295 Posts
I didn't update them either. But kinda wish I did? Someone repairing their S85 posted pics of a few engine blocks and all had scratched cyl bores. The updated squirters might help.

If I confirm my engine blew up then yeah I'd def wish I changed them. Are you / will you be tracking your car?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Flaco, this gives you another reason to drop the pan then! Regardless, old oil squirter design is probably not the cause of your noises...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When researching this you can see the difference but, honestly, other than a potentially better flow by way of gradual bends, I'm not seeing a difference. When I say potentially, I mean that the ends appear to create a high pressure spray so that the oil getting there will ultimately be pressurized by that and the oil flow to that point shouldn't really matter. Without seeing the actual point of contact and spray pattern it's hard to tell anything. ANd I've yet to see anyone address this. Just "bloilerplate" they're better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Replaced mine when I did RB mostly because there have been cases of broken oil sprayers although mine were OK.
Stuff inside the oil pan or below the engine harness in the V are to be done all at once otherwise we keep on doing the same thing.
Easy to replace but extremely boring cause you need to be constantly turning the crank so I made a map and every bit of a turn I would check which ones could come or go. Assemble with loctite 648 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not sure about this, but having gone through some research at work and finding squirters that look veeerrrrry suspiciously like S85 squirters cited in the theses I reviewed... I would expect that the difference is the nozzle geometry itself (changed via manufacturing improvements I'd guess). This is VERY important as it improves oil jet stream quality. One wants to have beams rather than mist.... big, big change in piston cooling.

·
2,295 Posts
Flaco, this gives you another reason to drop the pan then! Regardless, old oil squirter design is probably not the cause of your noises...
Right I didn't mean to imply the squirters were broken and causing noises. Assuming it's not bearings and that a piston overheated thus scratching the bore (plenty of pics about this) and maybe bending a rod only THEN better piston cooling would've helped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I changed them while in there doing rod bearings. My thought was that there had to be some kind of improvement in the redesign, and it didn't cost me much to do it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Right I didn't mean to imply the squirters were broken and causing noises. Assuming it's not bearings and that a piston overheated thus scratching the bore (plenty of pics about this) and maybe bending a rod only THEN better piston cooling would've helped.
I've seen a decent deal of failed engines in an earlier life, now sure which pics you are referring to but the ones that I saw from P-Chi are not lube failure, piston overheating, and prolonged operation until seizing/failure. It's very obvious in the cleanliness of the scoring. If there was continued operation/combustion, those scratches would be quite dirty.

Also the amount of heat that the piston would have to have absorbed to enable the thermal expansion is very significant and incorporated in the initial design boundaries. The expansion would be uniform across the piston since Al pistons are a great conductor and the heat would also propagate through the block because the heat source is from the combustion event and friction from the rings. There would be a similar heat transfer in to the block which would then also make the bore bigger, however, that assumes that the cooling system is not working to transfer that heat out of the block, you'd have a over heating warning and shut down well in advance of that.

But it's not a bad thing to update the squirters, they were changed for a reason (not completely known to any of us). It's highly anyone on this board has actually observed both squirters in action and observed the flow or other instrumented data. But having it mounted on a block and operated under pressure would been interesting too but I don't think anyone here is that curious and resolved to determine that. It would likely just tell you that the updated version is same or better (yes a shocker).

It could be related to reducing oil consumption with better aim.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The new design also have less curves and I think they may be slightly thicker. If they broke cause of fatigue maybe that’s why they changed it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts