BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK

Needed to add a quart this weekend,I look in the 2000 M5 manual, it says to use Castrol 10W60, but under the hood there is a sticker (looks like from the factory) that says BMW recommends Castrol 5W30 :confused2

Which one should I use ?

·
Registered
694 Posts
That is a question that some of the old timers said:

If it's i 1999-2000 one should use 10-60 and if it's 2001-2003 one should use 10-30. I think it had to do with the eliptical rings that were used on the earlier model M5's. They were slighty oval, similar to race cars and since more oil slipped thru the rings the thicker oil was warranted.

If you go to SEARCH then ADVANCED SEARCH, you can choose E39 M5 board in "SEARCH IN FORUMS" and then put OIL or 10w60 in KEYWORD SEARCH.

:byebye:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
billrM5 said:
OK

Needed to add a quart this weekend,I look in the 2000 M5 manual, it says to use Castrol 10W60, but under the hood there is a sticker (looks like from the factory) that says BMW recommends Castrol 5W30 :confused2

Which one should I use ?
The 10W60 is the ONLY approved oil for you car. The spec changed for the early M5s. Newer M5s can use either.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
billrM5 said:
, but under the hood there is a sticker (looks like from the factory) that says BMW recommends Castrol 5W30
You can buy factory stickers for either oil viscosity...

Who put that on yours is another question...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts