BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

does someone got a picture from a oil pan with 2 plugs ?
i want to make the secound plug myself becouse i got an 2006 model.

So please send me a picture i want to see it in original to can do my best ;)

thank you all !

·
Registered
577 Posts
I dont think 2006 and most 2007 models have the 2nd drain plug.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I dont think 2006 and most 2007 models have the 2nd drain plug.
He knows that. He wants to see a picture of the models that do so he can make one on his car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thats what I get for only reading the first line doh

He knows that. He wants to see a picture of the models that do so he can make one on his car.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Would it not be a better idea just to pick up an 08 oil pan rather than be drilling and tapping the existing pan that has no internal material build up around the hole you plan on making?

Unless you plan on pulling the pan, drilling the hole, welding on build up of material on the interior of the pan and then tapping the hole for the plug I would not do this. Its very easy to strip out an aluminium pan that simply been tapped to accept a plug.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the Oil Pan Off ;-) so its no Problem hehe
Post up some pics of the process. I'm sure there are others out there that would want to do this.

Honestly, this is the reason why I picked up an 08 instead of an 06 :p

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Why would you want to do this, If you follow the TIS procedure of running the car shut it off and immediately remove the oil drain plug you will get 8+ liters of oil out of the engine.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why ? :) becouse in the Front are 0.6 Liters of Oil ... What you cant get Out !
When i Make an Oil change i always let the Car in Idle 2-3 Minuten ...
I Demontage the Oil Pan also every 60.000 km for bearing Rods :)))
Demontage your Oil Pan and you see it . This is why Facelift Models and M3 s65 Engines got it !

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Nicely done my friend! I assume you are welding in the threaded boss, what are you doing to clean and prep the Aluminum prior to welding?

·
Registered
766 Posts
It looks like they machined the flat a few thousandths, which would clean up the outer surface...assuming that the casting's not porous, they shouldn't run into much contaminants welding on the outside. As I infer from you question, welding on the inside would be a real challenge with all the oil soaked into every pore and crevice. I've soaked parts in parts cleaner, then lacquer thinner, then lots of hot soapy water, set in the hot sun for hours and still had trouble with TIG...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so ;) changed the bearings again and oil pan is montaged ! all perfect ;)
Now i can take the 0,7 liters in the front of the pan out ;)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Now just tap the oil cooler and drain that as well. There is almost a 1 liter of oil that sits in there. I was shocked to see how much oil does not get changes when draining the oil.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Hey Duschanio,

I have the oil pan off for...well...lots of reasons.

Did you purchase the threaded boss somewhere or have it machined? Would you care to share the dimensions? What grade of Aluminum is it?

Any pics of the final bits all welded up?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey Duschanio,

I have the oil pan off for...well...lots of reasons.

Did you purchase the threaded boss somewhere or have it machined? Would you care to share the dimensions? What grade of Aluminum is it?

Any pics of the final bits all welded up?
Did you ever get this info?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm looking to do this mod....and so far might go with an aluminum bushing from McMasterCarr. If someone has a better flanged bushing that'd be great to know.

If not then I'll weld that to the pan and then drill and tap that assembly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts