BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of putting my oil drain plug back on I noticed it was spinning and not tightening. I pulled it off to wipe it off and inspect the threads and they looked fine so I tried again but it still kept spinning. I tried installing it again without the washer and it tightened fine. Has anybody else had this issue? Does it mean that the plug is only catching on the threads that aren't damaged? I'm just need to know if it is safe to drive for a bit until my new pan gets here or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also noticed a small amount of oil underneath and around the plug before I pulled it off initially.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I would not drive the car unless it is absolutely unavoidable. The pan is likely repairable with a threaded insert, but you will still want to pull the pan to install an insert. If you search for timesert or stripped oil pan there will be several threads on how to repair this seemingly common issue.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Don't drive it until it is fixed or you risk dumping the oil and blowing the motor. Either buy a new pan ($$), install a timesert (search for it), or I can repair your pan for you.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
663 Posts
Your oilpan is stripped. If you search through threads I made, I posted the same exact thing. Timecert is your friend and ensures you won't strip another pan. Definitely don't drive it, if you're not doing the work yourself get it towed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts