BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where one can obtain a engine/oil pan heater? iirc they used to be popular for diesels back in the day. we're supposed to get some frigid temps next week up here in the northeast.

·
Registered
750 Posts
From a quick search on-line it looks like BMW made one for the 3-series, available in Canada with part number 12 81 0 304 879. It is moulded to the underside of the engine and not likely to fit ours without repositioning or modification. I don't see the part number listed on Realoem. A Canadian dealer may be able to provide assistance or otherwise an aftermarket product.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did some searching and it seems there are two types. heater pad type which sticks onto the bottom of the pan. problem with these are most are magnetic and the s62 oil pan is aluminum. second type is a heater element which is welded into the pan. this kind would be perfect if you could find one that had the same thread size as the plug on the side of the oil pan.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe check out a block heater as stated above. The're installed replacing a freeze plug. Had one on my old '87 528e. The cord then runs out the grill or tied just below the front end. I'd hate for a pan type too fall off or obstruct cooling in the summer.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have the Model 16 pad installed which is now part number TH250-1 and it works great and it was easy to install:

IDP Titan Pad Heater New Model Numbers

It works like a charm and also heats up the tranny getting rid of the stiff shifting syndrome when it is cold.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey with the electrical cord hanging out someone should park their 400hp monster next to a Prius and exclaim that they have a plug-in hybrid! LOL

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You really can't go wrong with the pad heater style heater. They are very easy to install, are very efficient and heat up all metal in contact and not just the oil pan nor just the oil near the pad. The oil will move around as it gets heated up.

Note: he pictures below where taken before I applied the sealant around the pad heater.

I installed it over 2 years ago on Nov. 30, 2008 and it has been working very well.

I normally have it plugged into a timer so that it warms my car up for 3 hours before I go to work and 2 of the oil temp lights on the cluster are consistently off when I first start her up showing how well it is working. The engine heats up very quickly while driving as well. I also leave it plugged in throughout the day and couldn't imagine how bad the initial startup would be without the preheating this little pad provides. I'm sure I have prevented a tonne of wear and tear on my beast's engine by using it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You really can't go wrong with the pad heater style heater. They are very easy to install, are very efficient and heat up all metal in contact and not just the oil pan nor just the oil near the pad. The oil will move around as it gets heated up.
Fantastic, I need something like this on my daily driving beast :)

What was the cost for such a thing?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Fantastic, I need something like this on my daily driving beast :)

What was the cost for such a thing?
You won't be disappointed.

Back in 2008, I paid just $85 Canadian plus sales tax and shipping.

Edit: Just checked their online store and it is $69.95 US for the TH250-1

http://www.dieselproducts.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

You could also install one of these pad heaters on the oil filter housing. Heck, I might do just that.

http://www.padheaters.com/fh50.html

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Wolverine pad heater on mine... Works like a charm... I leave mine plugged in all night in the winter...
From their website, the wolverine pad heater looks exactly like mine and even has the same model number. A coincidence? I think not. Around the same price too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Kat's sells a silicone pad heater (the same thing that sor118 has on his car), except theirs are about $20 for a 100W model.
My local NAPA store has bucket loads of the things.
For the quantity of oil in the M5 pan, I'd suggest a 150W pad.
I use two 100W pads on my X5. Had to use two pads due to the shape of the oil pan. The old Chevy pickup with the 5 qt oil pan gets one 100W pad.
I did a quick search on the googlizer for "silicone pad heater", and found that Amazon sells the Kat's brand heaters.

Hell, I'll even go down the NAPA and buy one for you and stick in a FedEx envelope. Probably be cheaper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts