BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lurked on this forum for a little while but have never posted before because I am not that knowledgeable about cars. I am having a friend of mine replace my old engine 205K with a 73K one. The oil pan on the 73k one has a small leak, so it will need to be removed for welding.
While it is off, I was thinking of having my friend put in some baffles because I plan to start attending club track days again. I had always heard the e36 m3 guys talking about oil starvation on the high speed corners and was wondering if this is a similar problem with our e28 m5s?
If so, does anyone know of a web site that has pictures from someone who has put baffles in their oil pan?

My friend also does not like the fact that the fan is clutch driven. He feels it robs power and I would be better served by single or dual electric fan. I would appreciate your views on this and if you are in agreement with the electric fan, please tell me where to get the best one for an e28 m5.

Also, any suggestions on obvious things you would attend to while the engine is removed would greatly be appreciated (I am replacing the clutch and flywheel, installing the Fahey hub from my old motor, exhaust cam gear--advanced per Fahey, and checking the timing chain and tensioner even though they are supposed to be in excellent condition).

Many Thanks,

John

·
Registered
471 Posts
In addition to the viscous fan, the E28 M5 already has an electric fan - in front of the radiator. At least, the Euro ones do, so I imagine the US ones must, too.

I admit I have toyed (from my armchair) with the idea of taking the viscous fan off mine (it is very noisy) - has anyone else tried this?

Regards

Mfiver

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tryed on the M635csi, engine runnig hot, and lot of high fan speed.. annoyig more than the viscous...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thank you Batmobile...back to the drawing board (or my armchair), I think!

An alternative - at least here in the UK - might be to fit a pair (?) of Kenlowe thermostatically-controlled electric fans but this wouldn't be cheap and would mess up the originality as it would mean drilling holes....

I suppose these could be in front of the radiator, not behind.

Regards

Mfiver

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dear Mfiver, in front there is the original one (at least if You have aircon), so the second should be behind...
I think that a manual override for the fan fast speed would be the right enhance

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Both electrical-and mechanical fan's consume power, either from the alternator or from the belt that drives the waterpump. In any case, both are belt driven. Add to that the efficiency of the electrical fan itself.

The only pro of an electrical fan is that it doesn't have the drag loss of the viscous fan when it is not engaged, but as it's weight is minimal that is rather low and most likely reduced to the small percentage. Not worth concerning about.

Furthermore, as Mfiver attested the cars originality is a concern as well. That argument is enough reason for me not to pursue such move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts