BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a 2003 E39 M5 and a couple of times have had the "Check Engine Oil" message come up on the dashboard. First time I checked the oil, I thought it was on minimum, so bought a litre of oil. When I checked the oil again it was a quarter of the way up from minimum. Despite this, I put the entire litre in.

After a 20 mile run, I noticed oil smoke from the engine bay. I opened the bonnet and found that oil had been shot back out through the oil filler cap and was all over the previously spotless engine bay! Now the level is back where it was before on the second reading - quarter of the way up from minimum.

So I feel like a bit of an idiot now!! I guess I overfilled the car. My question is, could I have done any damage by overfilling the oil? It still seems to run fine. And also, it is a good idea to have the engine steam cleaned to get rid of the oil that was thrown everywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you will be OK. It sounds like the car took care of the overfill, and it came out through the the filler, which acted like a pressure release. And you checked the stick and the oil looked normal, it seems.

Is you oil pressure the same as it was previously?

As far as cleaning - absolutely! It's mostly cosmetic, but the cleaner the better. There are painted/anodized surfaces that may peel faster if not kept clean.

Plus, the engine compartment should always be ready for inspection! One of the best things to show off on our cars hiha

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a bad oil filler cap and like you, got oil all over the engine - it cleaned up fine though.

You couldn't have over-filled that much from what you said in your message.

Don't sweat it bro.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Pud said:
Hi,

I recently bought a 2003 E39 M5 and a couple of times have had the "Check Engine Oil" message come up on the dashboard. First time I checked the oil, I thought it was on minimum, so bought a litre of oil. When I checked the oil again it was a quarter of the way up from minimum. Despite this, I put the entire litre in.

After a 20 mile run, I noticed oil smoke from the engine bay. I opened the bonnet and found that oil had been shot back out through the oil filler cap and was all over the previously spotless engine bay! Now the level is back where it was before on the second reading - quarter of the way up from minimum.

So I feel like a bit of an idiot now!! I guess I overfilled the car. My question is, could I have done any damage by overfilling the oil? It still seems to run fine. And also, it is a good idea to have the engine steam cleaned to get rid of the oil that was thrown everywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.
I think what happened is the oil cap was not secured properly. It has happened before. The oil spewed was not from overfill, just a loose cap. Clean engine and as suggested, check the oil level according to the unique procedure for this car. When the "check engine oil" light comes on, you are probably down about 1 quart/liter.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the swift answers!!

It looks like I don't have anything to worry about. The oil pressure is good and I have now checked the oil level "according to the unique instructions in the owner's manual"!! I will double check the oil filler cap every time now, in case I didn't put it on correctly!

Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

ihave just done exactly the same thing - I was in a hurry to get to Brands Hatch (to watch bikes falling off the track in the wet - not the best days racing...) and filled the oil prior to leaving. 10 mins down the road and smelt oil, pulled over to find engine bay *covered* in oil from the filler cap. I assumed that I had overfilled it, but I suppose I may have just not tightened the cap enough.

Either way I have that impending massive repair bill feeling, thus I am reassured by the posts on this thread. Having filled the oil to the top I am a little worried that it is now only showing under half way between the two lines on the dipstick. I drove it to brands and back (about 100 miles) and it went fine with no smoke or nasty smells in the cabin, so I guess all is wel now.

Just out of interest, did you get yours looked at? and is it all ok now?

Cheers

TC

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

ihave just done exactly the same thing - I was in a hurry to get to Brands Hatch (to watch bikes falling off the track in the wet - not the best days racing...) and filled the oil prior to leaving. 10 mins down the road and smelt oil, pulled over to find engine bay *covered* in oil from the filler cap. I assumed that I had overfilled it, but I suppose I may have just not tightened the cap enough.

Either way I have that impending massive repair bill feeling, thus I am reassured by the posts on this thread. Having filled the oil to the top I am a little worried that it is now only showing under half way between the two lines on the dipstick. I drove it to brands and back (about 100 miles) and it went fine with no smoke or nasty smells in the cabin, so I guess all is wel now.

Cheers

TC

·
Registered
193 Posts
Funny (funny queer, not funny ha-ha) I just did the same thing. I put the cap on upside down in the dark of my garage. On the way to work their was smoke pouring out from under my hood. I limped into the parking lot and saw that oil had sprayed everywhere inside. I cleaned it up and all seems to be okay except the lingering smell of oil as it burns off. For a moment I thought I had a catastrophic failure on my hands.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dopamine said:
Hi,

Cheers

TC
Seems a lot of people are doing the same thing!! I did get BMW to look at it (as well as do a couple of other jobs) as I was paranoid that I'd done some damage. But everything is fine. They told me that I should try to keep the oil at the top end of the two levels, but they said I wouldn't've done any damage. So I am sure you (and the others posting on this thread) will be fine too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts