BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get an oil level warning every time I drive her long or hard when shutting off. Oil level is never more than 2mm below top dipstick.

Restarting after a drive still gets me the warning

I hate these things.

Anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Sebring NL said:
I get an oil level warning every time I drive her long or hard when shutting off. Oil level is never more than 2mm below top dipstick.

Restarting after a drive still gets me the warning

I hate these things.

Anyone?
Let her cool down before switching off. Drive leisurely for the last few miles and it won't "ploing...."

Almost all BMWs do this........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stevie said:
Let her cool down before switching off. Drive leisurely for the last few miles and it won't "ploing...."

Almost all BMWs do this........
I do that. I haven't even got the opportunity to drive fast for the last 3 miles or so because of the speedbumps. I leave her running idle for ten secs EVERY time since ownership before shutting off.

She did it a few times since last august, but it 's been away since a month. Even after the relatively long drive on the meeting, she gave no warnings.

Usually if I check the oil, it's at least halfway. However when topping up,warning's gone. Is it normal that it's this sensitive?

I have been away from 20.00 untill now and when starting her again message came up again, dipstick level bit more than halfway.

I never worry too much about stuff like this because she leakes a fair amount of oil through the cartergasket and probably burns some oil when driving above 230 at peaks.

Will check and top off tomorrow

Thanks,

W
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Mine used to do that too. When I was changing the oil once, I gave the level sender a good flush out with petrol before reassembling it. Never did it afterwards, perhaps it's just a bit gunky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil was halfway marker area of dipstick this morning with the car levelled and at 20 degrees of temperature in my garage. Car has been standing for 10 hours. Filled her up and message gone. Seems quite quick to give a warning when at half a dipstick?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Sebring NL said:
Oil was halfway marker area of dipstick this morning with the car levelled and at 20 degrees of temperature in my garage. Car has been standing for 10 hours. Filled her up and message gone. Seems quite quick to give a warning when at half a dipstick?

Mine does that too. I always keep it at close to full level.

Alex
92M5T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Better to give a warning at halfway down the dipstick than at the bottom or at least i think so!
Mine does it at just under halfway between the min and max.

Pete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I am a bit of a fetishist when it comes to clean bays...Got a whole collection of toothbrushes lined up...

If you look closely you can see I handpainted the logo on the ignition leads cover
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
22 OT posts removed.

A nice clean thread now, just like Wouts engine bay!

Regards

Ivan
 

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5
Joined
·
9 Posts
My 06 e60 low oil alert comes on and i topped it off but no overfill warning, took it by BMW stevens creek and they said to drive it around and burn that extra oil which i did. Im wondering if its the oil sensor?? Any help? Im at 81,000 miles
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top