BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story but got my oil changed with the correct oil and they did not reset oil indicator. It still has the same oil level of 0.4. Is there any kind of instant oil level reset. I'm worried that they did not even change my oil.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Make sure oil is fully operating temperature use BC stalk button and cycle through gauge cluster options till oil level shows, hold BC button till it resets showing a clock. Give it a min or two and it will show new oil level.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure oil is fully operating temperature use BC stalk button and cycle through gauge cluster options till oil level shows, hold BC button till it resets showing a clock. Give it a min or two and it will show new oil level.
Did that already.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Did that already.
Did it show the dashes or clock? If it showed the dash mark the oil isn't warm enough or the car isn't stationary.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oil

Are you sure they put the correct amount of oil? If anything you might have to add 1/2 quart and reset it then but only if they didn't put the right amount. Happened to me min wasn't resetting so I added half a quart and as good to go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It did show the dashes. I drove it around for 40min after then it went back to 0.4

·
Registered
759 Posts
It did show the dashes. I drove it around for 40min after then it went back to 0.4
Then you've only got 0.4. That's how the system works.

At this point, don't add, but wait until it gets to 0.0 and add +1L. Only when the car asks for it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then you've only got 0.4. That's how the system works.

At this point, don't add, but wait until it gets to 0.0 and add +1L. Only when the car asks for it!
But the general manager assured me oil was changed. Could it just be a bad oil level sensor. Is there any other way to update oil level beside the reset with the stalk?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would add 1/2 liter and do a quick measure, at that point it should measure .9. If this does not happen then there is something wrong. It is possible that they changed your oil and left it at .4 instead of 1.0 like they should have done.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The phrase 'a watched pot never boils' always springs to my mind when checking the oil level with the damn electronic dipstick.

If you're sure the oil is up to temp, the car stationery and it still reads 0.4 after a check, then as Silber says, it's prob correct. Either wait for the add 1ltr to show itself or trust the gauge, add 0.5ltr, get to temp and test again are your best options.

The electronic dipstick will never go down in history as an improvement on the original dipstick function/design. Deep breathes are required! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Do not top it off... Just drive it until it asks for a liter. I have had a similar experience following an oil change.
.04 is still well within operating range so you have plenty of time to watch it and make sure it does indeed drop to .03 and so on...
If you do not see a gradual drop in the oil level as you normally would, you might then consider looking at the sensor, but for now, don't worry about it.
Just be sure to have an extra liter in the trunk..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok it finally updated today. I don't know why it took so long. When I had my 335i it was instant.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ok it finally updated today. I don't know why it took so long. When I had my 335i it was instant.
There is a short term oil measurement by using the BC button on the stalk or the long term which updates after an extended drive and I mean an EXTENDED drive. It goes into depth in the manual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts