BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Level read 1.1 after oil change by dealer. That was 2500-3000 miles ago and it still reads 1.1. Seems like before it would drop over time; I know because I've had to add a couple of quarts over the past year. Should I be worried? How long should I let it stay like that before doing something? Is there any other way to measure the oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if i was you i'd reset the oil level and see what it reads afterward, if it reads the same, i wouldn't really worry.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Drive your car around to get it to full operating temp. Find a flat place to park the car.

With the transmission in N, parking brake up, engine idling, press the BC button until the oil level reading appears. Then while it's showing, press and hold the BC button until the reading displays a -.- or a clock. Wait approximately 1 minute and it should give you a new reading. Car cannot move and engine cannot be revved while this is happening.

The new reading is not as accurate as the long term reading, however.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
We have an amazing 5,000 miles on our 2010 since the service at 1400 miles and the computer shows half for the oil.....So not even 1 top up yet!! I am starting to worry, but I guess it will tell me if it needs a top up!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
ye i reset often...i just dont think it refreshes every single time
It only gets a new reading if you do a long trip cruising at a steady speed on the highway.

A bunch of city driving with stop and go and gear shifts and large RPM differences will prevent it from getting a reading.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
The computer only calculates the level after about 20-30 mins of sustained freeway driving without traffic (probably at speeds around 60mph or more). If you have a short commute or in frequent stop and go traffic, the level will rarely change. There have been many times where this is the case for me and the meter says .9 - for example - for a long period of time until I take a long trek and it'll suddenly drop down to .3 or even the minimum level with a warning to refill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.