BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went in an 8 hour trip to the UAE 10 days ago and in the way there I wanted to stretch the beast’s legs so I did 120-135 MPH for about 10 minutes or so.. Maybe longer.. anyway I noticed that the oil dropped from 0.7l to 0.5l only when I stepped on it. No big deal. Drove the car there and in the way back, I added 0.5l just to not have to add in the way back. Here where it became confusing. I added then waited for the indicator to reflect the amount of oil and nothing happened.. told myself it needs some time.. Tried and tried but nothing changed, still shows 0.5l. So I assumed either it was 0.0l when I added the 0.5l or it was at 0.5l and it should be reading 1.0l.. In both cases the Oil Level Indicator isn’t doing its job the way it should. Ignored the whole situation until yesterday where suddenly it showed that the oil is at 1.1. I wanted to make sure it’s reading correctly so reset it then showed 1.0l. reset again and shows 0.9 and I am like what the **** is going on! Reset 4 times after that and looks like it settled down on 0.9l.. It took 10 days to read the correct amount of oil in it.. It should be at 0.9 because I added 0.5 on 0.5 which equals 1.0 and with DD it and the 8 hour trip in the way back, 0.9l is logical.

<FONT face=Arial><SPAN style="COLOR: #2f527d; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">It isn’t the 1<SUP>st</SUP> time it does this to me. One time I changed the oil and pressed the reset button. Told me it’s at .6 so I added around .4l and everything normal and the oil was at 1.0l. 4-5 days later it tells me that it’s at 1.5l and I am like why? (with watery eyes) what have I done to you? so I went through the hassle and managed to drain .5 by lifting it up and unscrewing the oil screw and took a beautiful oil shower.. Thank you BMW for that! Anyway that’s why I ignored it when I added the 0.5l 10 days ago and the indicator didn’t change.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<o:p></o:p>
In conclusion, what is going on? What if it was at 0.0l and I am driving it without noticing?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE DIP STICK? F***k technology I want my dipstick back. I don’t want to lose my engine. I don’t get it, when BMW made this engine which drinks a lot of oil, they decided to screw up and cancel the dip stick?!!??!!?!?!?! They should added their fancy technology and kept the dipstick as a backup. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Now I geuss I need to get a new Oil Level Indicator worth $200 and see how it goes.. :( ß NOT HAPPY.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Yeah that can happen! It's one of those things you must live with!
My indicator gradually came down to 0.1 until yesterday, I topped her up with about 0.6 liter of oil, did immediate reset, drove all day without checking, came home and it now shows 1.0! So sometimes you gotta follow your gut instincts as long as there's no leak!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ahmed I edited the post.. So I guess I don't need to replace the Sensor? I am afraid that my gut instincts will have me pay a lot of money when I run my engine with less oil or with a lot of oil. you know what, I think I am going to learn some magic just to be able to figure that out along with the hydraulic fluid that you need to lift the car to be able to check!

Couple of abra kadabra moves and you all set!

Reactions: Ahmed

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That's why the rest of the world refer to us M5 owners as "Magicians" !

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you read the manual it says that the manual reset of the oil sensor gives an approximate reading which is temporary. In addition the temporary reset generally is unable to detect 0.5 liters or less.

The car needs almost 30 minutes of driving to arrive at a correct reading for the oil. However if you have added 0.5 L or less it might not show the accurate reading until the next cold start.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you Hasan but in my case it took 10 DAYS! That's like 10 cold starts which means it failed 10 times!!! And who knows, it might still be giving me wrong reading.. No trust anymore.

The only 2 solutions are either I fabricate a dipstick or as I said earlier, become a Magician!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sorry for the OT bro..but how is the roads in saudi to reach UAE boarder? still bad ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not as bad as they were. Road from Khobar to alhasa has improved a lot.

You, Ahmed and I should arrange for a trip to the UAE and join the guys on one of the open track days at Yas circuit. Hasan and the other guys from bmwclub UAE are having a lot of fun there I tell yeah.. Ha Hasan :)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Not as bad as they were. Road from Khobar to alhasa has improved a lot.

You, Ahmed and I should arrange for a trip to the UAE and join the guys on one of the open track days at Yas circuit. Hasan and the other guys from bmwclub UAE are having a lot of fun there I tell yeah.. Ha Hasan :)
I really want that! Let's do it while the weather is good!
Lets get MPower77 on track first, then worry about Yas

Reactions: Chendol

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Indeed! Yas is a great track. Pretty fast with some very challenging turns.

I am sure you guys shall love it here. It shall also give us the opportunity to show some hospitality.

·
Registered
344 Posts
///Power,

It is best to only refill at 0.1L or 0.2L with one full litre because the sensor has issues rcognizing 0.5: increments or less. Other than that, overfilling is the real concern, because the warning indicator will tell you if your oil is too low. Glad you caught it in time and took out 0.5Ls.

all the best

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next time I will follow what you're saying kaninja99. But my conceren is what if it's at 0.1 or 0.0L but it's telling me 0.5 for example?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Guys, its not the time, starts or miles/km covered its the time at tick over/idle with the engine at full running temp that sets the oil level. Fully warm on level ground (I think the car uses the ABS system to work this out??) and idling for approx 30 sec-1min, you will see a clock simble appear next to the oil level (after reset has been activated) the car needs to idle for approx 10mins in total (if you drive it will wait until the car is at idle again before carring on the count to 0, it doesnt go back to 10 mins again so you don't need to leave the car idling excessively!!) to give its reading which at first will be a best estimate until a cold start cycle has been cover again then the reading is correct. The quick time oil reset/check is only a guide and can be out by as much as 0.5litres, its only a guide to get running after an oil change/topup.

Best advice is to run at just around or over the 0.5 litre mark, not to high or to low to do damage or be out by an error of the guage to be a problem!

Enjoy your road trip track adventure and post videos if you get together!!

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
462 Posts
I agree with you Hasan but in my case it took 10 DAYS! That's like 10 cold starts which means it failed 10 times!!! And who knows, it might still be giving me wrong reading.. No trust anymore.
I had the same problem with my car, and my mileage was only 4k km back then!! I drained the oil from the engine just to know how many liters exactly I had!! I changed the oil sensor and every thing went back to normal.

P.S: don't add oil unless you see the low oil level warning message... That's what the manual says ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Next time I will follow what you're saying kaninja99. But my conceren is what if it's at 0.1 or 0.0L but it's telling me 0.5 for example?
i was having this issue for miss-reading correctly but i reached to end that ll not fill it with oil till it shows me 0.2 as min. then add 0.8L or 0.7L ...and wait 30min as hasan said, the reading will show u the correct level which is around 1.1 or 1L.
if u still had an issue, just put ur ride on the diagnostic and check the fault is there any.

and yeah guys come plz here we had fun last saturday :D at yas marina circuit

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all.. I'll just ignore it until it begs me!

Regarding the trip.. Let's arrang for it Ahmed. And you're right how come I never saw that red Monster at the track? Try to let him come this Friday.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
**Update**

So I didn't add any oil and the sensor seems to work very well now!!!

Was at 0.9L and went to 0.8L after a week or 10 days then went to 0.7L and now it's at 0.6L... All this in a month give or take. I am interested to see how it'll function when it gets to 0.5L and less... Will it read correctly??

To be continued!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guys, its not the time, starts or miles/km covered its the time at tick over/idle with the engine at full running temp that sets the oil level. Fully warm on level ground (I think the car uses the ABS system to work this out??) and idling for approx 30 sec-1min, you will see a clock simble appear next to the oil level (after reset has been activated) the car needs to idle for approx 10mins in total (if you drive it will wait until the car is at idle again before carring on the count to 0, it doesnt go back to 10 mins again so you don't need to leave the car idling excessively!!) to give its reading which at first will be a best estimate until a cold start cycle has been cover again then the reading is correct. The quick time oil reset/check is only a guide and can be out by as much as 0.5litres, its only a guide to get running after an oil change/topup.

Best advice is to run at just around or over the 0.5 litre mark, not to high or to low to do damage or be out by an error of the guage to be a problem!

Enjoy your road trip track adventure and post videos if you get together!!

Regards

Jay
hey,

so last night i got the oil telling me im to low, i add 1.0L as it told me. press the reset button and still tells me to add, im 100% sure im good on level as last week it was ok at 0.7l and i have no leaks, You think the sensor is ****ed ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts