BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When i picked up the car around 3 weeks ago it was at 7L, then a few days later it went up to 8L for a day or two. Had the car for around 3 weeks or so....is this "normal" drop in oil levels? Bare in mind that I have not been driving like a grandma....mostly always in M mode P500 Sport too. Tried to call AutoZone and Pepboys...no go for Castrol TWS 10w-60. I assume this is a dealer purchase only?

·
Registered
977 Posts
When you say 4L you mean 0.4l correct? If so, this means you still have a good 9 liters of oil in the engine... If you had only 4L your dash would read 0.0l and the oil can symbol would be up constantly. Only top up oil when it is 0.0l and fill one whole liter bottle as over filling can cause damage.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, 0.4l on the dash. Is this oil level drop from 0.7l 3 weeks ago to 0.4l "normal" or due to my "driving" :M5launch:

·
Registered
692 Posts
the "gauge" sux. add 1L when the car tells you too. and yes that could be normal M5's use oil almost as much as they use fuel.

·
Registered
977 Posts
they burn oil, more at certain times. I find that if I leave the car idling in the morning too long it causes the oil to drop quicker.... Spirited driving in my car sees the oil last longer. Go figure...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I concur with M5aud - its burns more that you would feel comfortable. I have bought this up before and everyone has dfferent burn rates and opinions as to why it happens, some say its to do with how the car was run in, how you drive it and conditions.

I am not sure theres a formula, get to know your burn rate with your driving pattern and environment and just make sure you have the right oil to hand when needed - nature of the beast sadly.

I personally don't wait for the 1L error as I use and drive the car a lot - talking 1000 miles week when working - and my burn rate is 1L (=1US Quart) is about 1300 miles on the motorway driving and 700 miles round town driving.

Like M5aud I use more oil idling or just using local roads.

BTW I have a Golf V5 that I bought brand new 9 years ago that the wife uses now and I have checked the oil in that every week for 9 years...and that never drops below the dipstick marker in between the 10,000 mile oil changes so never topped it up...cant even remenber buying oil for it - its on 150,000 miles now as well - we are just lucky I guess - we get to open the bonnet every week so we can admire the amazing engine while changing the oil.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I concur with potassium who concurs with M5aud!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Another quirk with my oil guage is that it will slowly drop from 1.0 l to 0.7 liter, but once it hits 0.7 it drops far more quickly to 0.2. Slightly different with my stroker than when I had a stock engine, but a similar trend. I just tend to ignore it until it asks me to add a liter, which is usually between 3000 and 4000 miles. I tend to burn more oil on long even-RPM drives like freeways. There have been literally hundreds of posts about oil levels, etc., and I have yet to recall anyone who actually found they had a problem, so no worries. :cheers: I even created my very own oil post awhile back thinking I had a unique perspective, and I STILL cought some flack. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...n-i-dont-think-has-been-discussed-before.html

·
Registered
323 Posts
problem is, mu car asks me to fill 1L once the gauge reads 0.3L. I waited till it read 0.0L, added 0.9 L, and now it reads 1.1L!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have the same observations as the other members. I can drive hard for a week (city driving) and oil doesn't drop. Go on a long drive where the car is at a constant 2.5-4K RPM for an extended period of time and the oil starts dropping. The
first 1L to 0.6L is quite slow... then it just goes down to 0.2L and you are 'notified'. I always keep a 1L in the trunk (although the darn oil bottle and the shape of the little area to hold it don't match up). BMW needs to get Castrol to
change the angle of the neck to fit the oil bottle holder in the truck ;-)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BMW needs to get Castrol to
change the angle of the neck to fit the oil bottle holder in the truck ;-)
This sounds like (an over kill project) a "DIY Fiberglass Motor Oil Bottle Holder" in the trunk section hiha

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Maybe RPi can design something for that! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts