BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a voyage of discovery.

With the valve cover gasket and air filter bottom housing removed, I can see a lot of oil on the chassis below that area, much more than on the same place on the other side of the car. I have also unbolted and displaced the oil filter housing (but not the hoses), and there is a lot of oil between the housing and the chassis, and on the bottom of the housing itself. The top hose from the power steering reservoir is soaking. I don't think this can (all) be from the valve cover - I don't think it would fling that far from there.

I have tried looking at the housing, with inconclusive results. The sensor looks dry, as does most of the housing itself. However, it is quite oily underneath. I see four hoses - two large braided hoses, one smaller hose with a banjo bolt, and one mystery rubber one.

One of the large hoses is quite dirty at the connecting grommet, as is the mystery rubber hose, but I can't actually properly see if they are leaking.

So, finally, to my question - do the oil filter housing and hoses on our cars tend to leak, and if so, from where?

I can post pics if my verbal description is crappy. :haha:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, you ask, you get!

See http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Topper.Doggle/BMWM5E391999. Photos 2-8 show the filth caused by the leaky valve cover gaskets. 9-18 show the mess around the oil filter housing. It's all over the power steering hoses as well. I hope the photos are okay - it was difficult to get the right focus etc. It's quite important to click the magnifying icon and drag the photo around to get the most detail.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Topper.Doggle/BMWM5E391999/photo#5191855647624969330 in particular is a "classic" - check out the mess on the outside of that power steering hose. I'm now starting to get paranoid that this is a power steering leak. I should go to bed as I've been obsessed with this car the last few days, and I can't see the forest for the trees right now.

ouichouichouichouichouich

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Actually the pictures are a little close in for me to make an informed judgement. But, oil filter hoses don't leak that often and power steering hoses leak in almost every M5 with any miles on it. And, it looks like power steering oil being blown by the fan back onto the parts you see it on. Dab your finger on a spot with excess oil (like a drop beginning to form) and check the color ... if it is RED or dark red, it is power steering fluid.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Actually the pictures are a little close in for me to make an informed judgement. But, oil filter hoses don't leak that often and power steering hoses leak in almost every M5 with any miles on it. And, it looks like power steering oil being blown by the fan back onto the parts you see it on. Dab your finger on a spot with excess oil (like a drop beginning to form) and check the color ... if it is RED or dark red, it is power steering fluid.
+1. Could be leaking from the power steerin housing. I've noticed a little leaking from the cap on my power steering resovior also. Is there supposed to be an "O" ring on the cap to prevent this? As mine has no type of seal on the cap. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Arhh hah, I notice something very interesting the other day when topping up my power steering.
Look at the top of the cap because there is a hole in it. Its not on the top but at the side, so leaking from this is normal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You lot are bloody fantastic. Whilst not discounting the possibility of a leak from the oil filter hoses, when I unbolted the power steering reservoir to take a closer look, it was obvious that one hose was leaking at the clamp. I'm not going to mess around tightening it, I'm going to replace it whilst everything else is off the car.

Should I replace both hoses leading from the power steering reservoir? Are they simple enough to route from above the engine or will I have to get underneath?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Should I replace both hoses leading from the power steering reservoir? Are they simple enough to route from above the engine or will I have to get underneath?
ABSOLUTELY, BOTH HOSES. (One may be difficult to replace, but you should replace BOTH hoses. And, take notes, as you will probably be doing it again in 3 or 4 years.)

Although I didn't have to do it myself (warranty), I believe you do have to get under the car. Not sure, though.

You might consider doing a search. I seem to recall someone fixing a leak around the clamp by trimming the hose and re-clamping. I wouldn't do it, but you may want to try it.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I just completed this task myself. Link to instructions from the archives attached. Probably takes an hour to do. Remember to use ATF not power steering fluid-which i spaced out and did which added another hour or so of draining and refilling system several times with Mobil 1 ATF. Aack!http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109697&highlight=power+steering+hose+leak
Just curious, Tom. Where did you find the info that you should use ATF fluid? I was ready to remind everyone to check the instructions (i.e. Owner's Manual), but after checking the manual (electronic version), it wasn't listed. I have no doubt it is ATF. But, was it on a label on the reservoir? I guess I could go out and check mine ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, conveniently molded into the the reservoir cap. In a delusional moment at the auto parts store I got straight Power Steering fluid. The pump immediately let me knew that it didn't find that acceptable with a series of hellish hacks, coughs, and knocks. Once i got ATF back in there it purrs like it should.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1. Could be leaking from the power steerin housing. I've noticed a little leaking from the cap on my power steering resovior also. Is there supposed to be an "O" ring on the cap to prevent this? As mine has no type of seal on the cap. :dunno:
My cap is leaking as well as my hoses, there is an o-ring according to realoem, part 32411128333. I'm going to check my car and see if I have one, and order one if not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I am have ordered a power steering pump, serpentine belt, and AC belt. I am about the replace the power steering pump and belts. When i cold start my car I can definitely hear the power steering pump whining. After it warms up about 20 min it goes away and doesn't come back. I am sure this is power steering pump because I can feel the steering wheel give and take when the pump cuts in and out.

I am wondering if I need to replace the power steering pump filter along with the pump and belts, and if that requires changing the whole reservoir not. Also if I should replace the power steering pump hoses as well?

I am new on here not so just getting the hang of things.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hello,

I am have ordered a power steering pump, serpentine belt, and AC belt. I am about the replace the power steering pump and belts. When i cold start my car I can definitely hear the power steering pump whining. After it warms up about 20 min it goes away and doesn't come back. I am sure this is power steering pump because I can feel the steering wheel give and take when the pump cuts in and out.

I am wondering if I need to replace the power steering pump filter along with the pump and belts, and if that requires changing the whole reservoir not. Also if I should replace the power steering pump hoses as well?

I am new on here not so just getting the hang of things.
Not sure about the pump filter, but if it's located in the reservoir that part is like $65 I think. Replacing that is up to you. I would definitely replace the hoses as they are prone to leak. They may look good now, but when you replace the pump and move them around they may start leaking. I had that happen to me when I replaced my steering gear box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question About Power Steering Hoses

Hi Again,

When considering replacing parts of the power steering system I would like to know which of the main hoses to replace. There are three I believe of varying prices one of them is about $250 - $300 and the others are both around $90 each. What are your thoughts on which ones I should replace here? I also am ordering the power steering pump filter separately and keeping the existing reservoir.

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Again,

When considering replacing parts of the power steering system I would like to know which of the main hoses to replace. There are three I believe of varying prices one of them is about $250 - $300 and the others are both around $90 each. What are your thoughts on which ones I should replace here? I also am ordering the power steering pump filter separately and keeping the existing reservoir.

Please advise.

Thanks
My PS system is leaking and I plan to replace everything short of the pump, the box and the expensive all metal pipe with the shielding (32412228867).

My list looks something like:

BMW Power Steering Reservoir - Genuine BMW 32412228855
BMW Power Steering Suction Hose (M5) - Genuine BMW 32412228873
BMW Hose Clamp (9-24mm) - Genuine BMW 32111131345
BMW Power Steering Return Hose (M5) - Genuine BMW 32412228868
BMW Hose Clamp - Genuine BMW 16121180242
BMW Auto Trans Oil Cooler Hose (Alpina B7) - Genuine BMW 17211742636
BMW Return Pipe - Genuine BMW 32411094205
BMW Crush Washer - Reinz 32411093597
BMW Seal Ring - Reinz 32411093596
BMW Banjo Bolt - Genuine BMW 32416852470
BMW Hollow Banjo Bolt - Genuine BMW 32416852469
BMW Hose Clamp - Genuine BMW 11722241129

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, I have itemized the part list and looked into each part. I am on a budget and only going to replace the pump do I still need the 1.) Banjo Bolt? 2.) Hollow banjo bolt 3.) Crush washer, can you explain what this is for? 4.) Seal Ring, what is this for? I am trying to use what is already on the car.

Thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks, I have itemized the part list and looked into each part. I am on a budget and only going to replace the pump do I still need the 1.) Banjo Bolt? 2.) Hollow banjo bolt 3.) Crush washer, can you explain what this is for? 4.) Seal Ring, what is this for? I am trying to use what is already on the car.

Thank you for your patience.
The Banjo bolts are usually reusable. Both are hollow, just two different sizes.

There are quite a few copper crush washers that I would replace.

There is also two rubber o-rings at the cooling circuit that I would replace.

Also a few hose clamps.

These parts are $0.25 to $2 or $3. Not big money. The hoses and reservoir add up though.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
To get a better understanding, it would be best to wash everything clean. Once its clean the issue's should expose themselves after a quick drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts