BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went to take the car out my garage for its annual service (UK) today and once I started her up and reversed out.. I found this huge oil leak coming from the sump.

I haven't really driven her since June and the engine oil is just 2.5k old.

About 9 months ago I had the diff oil and tranny oil changed as well as my rod bearings. Since then there's only ever been a small trace of oil but nothing every thst worried me. Literally nothing.

At a glance head on my oil cooler looks dry and looking down on the engine nothing seems "oily" or mucky.

Drove it less than half mile to my garage and when it was in their ramp I took a few more pics.

They weren't willing to take off the undertray as it wasn't booked and they had a long queue of customers understandably but I am going somewhere on Monday to have it looked at.

Any idea what could it be from the pics?
@jcolley ? IMG-20181026-WA0001.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Could easily be ATF from the power steering. Starts off red, but over time turns a bit brown.

What fluid levels are dropping?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could easily be ATF from the power steering. Starts off red, but over time turns a bit brown.

What fluid levels are dropping?
Good point. Haven't checked power steering fluid but will do on Monday. The oil was very thick when I touched it so not sure... rly doesn't seem like an oil cooler issue but as gentleman above said, gotta take off the undertray.

Would there be so much Power steering fluid in the car and then even more?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The power steering cap has a vent so if it was overfilled, the extra could get pushed out. I would think it would be very apparent as there would be oil all over by the reservoir.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The power steering cap has a vent so if it was overfilled, the extra could get pushed out. I would think it would be very apparent as there would be oil all over by the reservoir.
Then, no. It doesn't seem to be that since there is no apparent mess around the reservoir

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm willing to bet 100 it's the oil cooler it looks to be coming from the front tray and working back.

btw why does all E60 M5 have the subframe jack pad broken or missing?

·
Registered
651 Posts

Haha add me to the list... I think they must fall off while driving.

OP GL and maybe drive your car more :nerd

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm willing to bet 100 it's the oil cooler it looks to be coming from the front tray and working back.

If this is the case then I'm happy because its a common issue and way fix. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Once those the under carriage are removed you will pin point the issue.... It’s literally in the section of your oil pan etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Haha add me to the list... I think they must fall off while driving.

OP GL and maybe drive your car more :nerd

Hahahaha! Those under carriage are super expensive, I know cause I just replaced mine. Ripped up from Mpact from rolling lolol plus rain got to it from that day and didn’t help that felt type material.

But it does serve a big purpose and for aero and helps keeps SMG cooler has it has vents etc to guide air to SMG unit...

IMG_8798.jpg IMG_8675.jpg IMG_8678.jpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahahaha! Those under carriage are super expensive, I know cause I just replaced mine. Ripped up from Mpact from rolling lolol plus rain got to it from that day and didn’t help that felt type material.

But it does serve a big purpose and for aero and helps keeps SMG cooler has it has vents etc to guide air to SMG unit...

View attachment 881450 View attachment 881452 View attachment 881454

They're very expensive!

·
Registered
651 Posts

Yeah hundreds of dollar I bet and has important functions for the car! I just meant I am missing the jack pad that I believe attaches in the middle of the front sub frame. Need to find the part number for that thing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Turned out it was a dented/cracked sump. Must have aired out onto some stones/pebbles and caused a dink in the sump. Managed to get an LCI sump (with 2 drain bolts) for less than £120 GBP so got that changed out and she's running a treat!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts