BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anybody has any idea/suggestion or experienced the same issue. I bought the car three weeks ago, an 2006 M5 with 89000 miles. Everything seems to be normal and the car drives and feels great. A week into it, the oil level was low so I added a quart. My dealer is quite far to buy 10w60 so put 10w40 instead; I did call the service department at the dealer and told me its ok to add a quart, plus the manual does say I can use it as an alternative. The next morning I've noticed oil stains on my driveway, there were none before. Concerned, I dropped the car to an indy shop close to work to check the car out, run diagnostics, change oil and replenish any fluids if necessary.

A few hours later he called screaming that he has never seen oil as dirty as what was in the car before and that the filter was at the point of collapsing, and if I wouldn't respect the car I shouldn't own one!:eek:oohhh: Anyway after I told him i just bought it, he changed oil, air filters and micro-filters and told me he saw where the oil leaked from the oil cooler and he was going to get me a price for replacing it, (found one on ebay thanks to Troy-Jeup). Last night a put a piece of cardboard under the car just so I wont ruin the driveway with more oil stains; well the interesting fact is that this morning there are no oil stains anymore!

Do you think it was the 10w40 causing the leak? should I replace the cooler expecting the problem will come back?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A common issue if it's the same one many of us are getting. Look through the bottom grill at the oil cooler and look for this part to see if there is oil there. It's the common failure location for these oil coolers.

Look at the pictures here to know what I'm referring to:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/206653-oil-cooler-repair-help.html

If it is, you can try to weld it in lieu of buying a new oil cooler. My indy shop couldn't weld aluminum so they used epoxy, which was a good bandaid for a few weeks, but then it started leaking again. I ended up just buying a new OEM oil cooler to replace it from 06 2006 BMW M5 Oil Cooler - Engine Mechanical - Behr - PartsGeek

You could also get the RPI oil cooler which completely addresses this issue.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Benzin

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not likely that the oil had anything to do with it. Besides adding one quart to a system that holds 10 isn't going to change the viscosity significantly.

That oil leak is very common, I got it in the first 3 months of ownership. It's pretty inexpensive to fix if it's just the o ring. Total price with labor from my Indy was like $130.

Also, I'd find another Indy. While dirty oil is a bad thing the Indy should not be calling up and screaming at customers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Camride,
LoL, the guy is very passionate about BMW's, that's all he does, no other manufacturer! Lets just say he was very vocal and had a strong opinion,he was not insulting or rude, just in good humor (know the guy from before, working on my X5) his work is impeccable and honest.

I agree the viscosity shouldn't had made much of a difference but I wonder why is not leaking anymore! I drove the car for 20 miles, highway and stop and go on a busy road, the oil got hot I am sure. I will go for a longer drive today and re-check.

Randywei, I am not sure where the leak is, the car was of the hoist when I got there, I will put it on ramps later today and see if it looks the same as the photos. Really appreciate the links!
Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Camride,
LoL, the guy is very passionate about BMW's, that's all he does, no other manufacturer! Lets just say he was very vocal and had a strong opinion,he was not insulting or rude, just in good humor (know the guy from before, working on my X5) his work is impeccable and honest.

I agree the viscosity shouldn't had made much of a difference but I wonder why is not leaking anymore! I drove the car for 20 miles, highway and stop and go on a busy road, the oil got hot I am sure. I will go for a longer drive today and re-check.

Randywei, I am not sure where the leak is, the car was of the hoist when I got there, I will put it on ramps later today and see if it looks the same as the photos. Really appreciate the links!
Thanks
No need to put it on ramps. Just stare through the grills with a flashlight and you'll be able to see the same view as I showed in the link.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Are you sure you just didn't accidentally spill some while filling it and it finally made its way down to the ground?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't, but unfortunately the leak came back! I tried looking with a flashlight and I can tell there is oil around the hose! I guess I can try and replace the rings and see if that takes care of the issue! It sucks, had the car for two weeks, I guess the Rpi scoops and euro SMG flash will have to wait, lol!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Didnt u say u got a used oil cooler from troy already? Why dont u just wait and have it installed.

Personally i wouldnt buy a used cooler.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oil cooler

No, sorry misunderstanding! Troy pointed me to one on Ebay that he does business with, waiting on my indy to see his quote before buying. I bought an extended warranty on the car but my deductible is $250, wish they approve repair with the RPI instead :hihi: hopefully the insurance wont reject it as a preexisting condition.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Randywei, I managed to take a photo of the oil cooler, it looks similar to the one on your post, right?
][/URL]
Yes, that is the same oil cooler leak issue many of us have encountered. So it could be two things causing the leak at that particular area:

1. o-rings need changing so it's linking at that joint
2. there is a crack at that area

When I saw mine was leaking oil from the same spot, I had my indy shop first change out the o-rings and clean up that area. Started the car up for a bit to see if it still leaked, and sure enough it did. We then took the oil cooler out and inspected it and saw that there was a crack on the backside. Tried applying epoxy as a bandaid for the crack and it worked well for a few weeks, but eventually it started leaking again. I then purchased a new OEM oil cooler from the partsgeek link I provided and had an indy shop swap out my old one for the new one.

So you can try the o-rings first, that seems to have fixed the issue for some people, but for many of us the o-ring's wasn't the problem and there was in fact a crack. If it's the latter, I would suggest either trying to weld the joint where the hose is and the crack, replacing with a new OEM oil cooler for ~$350, or spending extra and getting the RPI oil cooler. The RPI oil cooler doesn't have these hose exposed so it won't encounter this issue.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

I will go the same way as you did, hope the o-rings will fix it! I wish I could convince the extended warranty to pay for the Rpi!
Thanks for ur help

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts