BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked under my car today to find an oil leak under the front right part of the car. After everything I'm reading I think it might be the Vanos oil line, but now I'm wondering since my car is not under warranty anymore what will this cost me. I just bought this about 3 months ago from Fremont BMW. About a month ago my car was in for the check everything service and they didn't notice it. They also charged me for a new battery because I was getting the high battery drain warning and guess what? I have the same warning coming up again. Getting pretty frustrated with everything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
+1 on both the potential problem and the solution.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I just bought this about 3 months ago... They also charged me for a new battery because I was getting the high battery drain warning and guess what? I have the same warning coming up again.
Check for any aftermarket accessories that a previous owner may have installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you are right on this one. I'll find out today when they call me back. Also, should I just have them install it since my car is already there? How much am I expecting to spend there?

·
Registered
209 Posts
As is noted, this is a common problem. If you look inside the lower grille at the top left of the oil cooler (facing the bumper of course), you will see this is where the two lines come into the oil cooler. If this is not where yours is leaking from, you may have a completely different problem.

Mine is leaking at this location, and there are several options. Replace the oil cooler, replace the lines, replace both the oil cooler and lines, or start small and work to big. Meaning, there are two o-rings which fit inside this connection. They are $4 each at a BMW dealership (part 8 on the link above). Crimp the lines and replace the o-ring. If the leak stops, problem solved. If not, continue to problem solve.

I purchased the two o-rings, and it should take me a few hours to replace and test. $8 and a few hours is worth it to me to try and address the issue prior to dropping it off at the stealership.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stearlership has it

Unfortunately I didn't know what to do with it so I drove it into the stearlership this morning. They have it and are still looking for the problem. They just called me and said they need to have it over night and take a look at it again tomorrow. Pretty crazy considering I took it in this morning at 7:45 a.m. Is it really that hard to figure out where the leak is coming from?

·
Registered
932 Posts
+1 to oil cooler leak. Mine leaked all it needed was two new gasket rings and tightening. Goodluck. Problem is to do this you have to take the front bumper off which takes a little bit of effort.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So they just called me and told me it is the oil cooler. You guys sure do know your stuff. They are telling me the entire oil cooler needs replaced though plus all the other stuff you guys mentioned. The oil cooler itself is $938.97 and the total cost will be $1,339 with labor. Along with that the battery drain warning is coming from a rear door handle and that is going to cost me another $739 with parts and labor. FML!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Dealer told me my oil cooler needed to e replaced as well. Which is why I diy it, oil cooler I bet is fine if the leak is slow.

I would check yourself as unless you hit something it prolly just came lose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. I'm calling them back in the morning and asking to come down there. I want to see the oil cooler myself and will see if I need just O rings or an actual cooler.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Since you are in San Jose, take it to Dinan Service in rather than the stealership. 2232 Old Middlefield Way, Mountain View, (650) 962-9401

They will only fix what has to be fixed and their parts prices and service rates are much lower. I had the same problem fixed for quite a bit less and I had to have a new oil cooler as mine was cracked (and yes they showed me where).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would definitely go with the RPI oil cooler and try doing it yourself or letting another shop do it. If it is something as simple as an oil cooler than I rather not let the STEALERship do it. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would definitely go with the RPI oil cooler and try doing it yourself or letting another shop do it. If it is something as simple as an oil cooler than I rather not let the STEALERship do it. Just my opinion though.
I agree. I wish I had found a good indie when I had mine done (I have one now). Labor costs alone make it worth finding someone else, not to mention that most indies will take the time to really find the problem rather then just replace everything dang thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I called the stealership this morning. He said the cooler has a crack in the seam. I'm going to drive down there and check it out myself. Wish me luck. If i have to get everything done I will and next time this beast is going to Dinan. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I went down there and the crack is where the inlet is on top of the cooler. I'm having them do all the work and they said since I bought the car there they will heavily discount the labor and I decided to go with the stock oil cooler since people on this board have said there is a power loss with the Rpi one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts