BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing the front subframe for my rod bearing job, I noticed pretty distinct signs of oil weeping from the studs of the exhaust port of cylinder # 1 on the passenger side of the vehicle. A lot of the oil in the surrounding area is from a previous leak through the oil cooler that didn't get cleaned up, but the oil on the studs looks pretty fresh. Any idea what might be going on?

I also have to mention that the oil may have been over filled. It was low so I added a quart. After testing the level again, it was still low and I proceeded to add a little more. Still low. I then started thinking that I either had a failed oil level sensor and added too much oil, or that I had a serious leak. When I removed the underbody panels, there was oil, but I'm unsure if that can be caused by overfilling. When I emptied the oil, the amount that came out seemed to be about right.

I'm kind of hoping I can figure this out while everything is apart, but I will be adding some UV dye to the oil after getting everything back together to definitively see where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The oil lines that come from the oil filter go through the passenger side of the engine into the block...I would check if there is oil weeping from those lines. If not keep searching at the front end of the engine as most oil leaks travel towards the back when the car is in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
That area you showed is right below the oil fill up neck, that plastic neck could be cracked or the gasket there could be bad. Also if you pour without a funnel, you can miss and the oil then runs down the side along the heat shield. (ask me how I know :) )

The oil could also be CHF 11S, the power steering reservoir is known to crack and leak and the whole side of the car by that rail tends to get very oily. Maybe that's less to do with the exhaust manifold area and more to do with the oil film on the AC compressor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That area you showed is right below the oil fill up neck, that plastic neck could be cracked or the gasket there could be bad. Also if you pour without a funnel, you can miss and the oil then runs down the side along the heat shield. (ask me how I know :) )

The oil could also be CHF 11S, the power steering reservoir is known to crack and leak and the whole side of the car by that rail tends to get very oily. Maybe that's less to do with the exhaust manifold area and more to do with the oil film on the AC compressor.
Oh, I've definitely dumped some oil down the side of the block ?, so a lot of that mess is certainly from that. It's just that there seems to be oil coming directly from the exhaust studs and the manifold flange itself is relatively clean which makes me think it's weeping from the studs. Power steering reservoir is new, so should be no issue there.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Oh, I've definitely dumped some oil down the side of the block ?, so a lot of that mess is certainly from that. It's just that there seems to be oil coming directly from the exhaust studs and the manifold flange itself is relatively clean which makes me think it's weeping from the studs. Power steering reservoir is new, so should be no issue there.
The oil on the studs is from your oil dump.
The header gets hot enough to burn off dumped oil the studs do not

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
Use engine cleaner/degreaser and hose it all down with a power washer. Save the hassle of UV dye.
I've done quite a bit of UV dye stuff with AC leaks, refrigerant leaks are impossible to spot without UV dye. By contrast, it is easy to spot where oil is seeping out, but clean the area out first. All the UV dye does it make that show up with UV light, but you can see oil seeping without UV dye.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts