BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. The e34 M5 has a few annoying oil leaks. One is definitely transmission fluid; it's not from the shaft selector seal and it's not from the rear seal, but seems to be from the seal on the top, left rear of the transmission (don't know what that is exactly). Is this accessible from under the car, or is there some sort of spring/detent arrangement that will not allow this? Any help appreciated.

The other leak might be from the oil filter housing... oil drops on the garage floor are showing up as far back as the end of the front door (even with this point, and on the driver's side). The oil is on the exhaust, etc. causing smell/smoke after driving.

Would like to know of any other potential / typical leaks with these cars. I do not think the chain tensioner is the problem.

It would be easier for me if you responded to my email: [email protected]

Many thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
My car seems to be leaking as well. One of them looks like the aircon cos it stopped after i turned it off for a while, but another is more consistent. IT's coming from just below the gearbox area towards the passenger side of the car (RHD car).

When i first started up the car there was a strong smell of gasoline which made me worried, but i keep checking, stopped the car, reversed, checked the liquid, repeat repeat repeat, did not get any more smell of gasoline from the leak. So maybe some gasoline leaked out when the car was resting?

The leak that is consistent tho is a clear-ish liquid, not very strong smell of gasoline and it stains the floor for a while. Feels more watery then oily. Like greasy water. Not thick. i'm suspecting a brake fluid or clutch fluid leak :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Maybe Pentosin CH11S. Tubes are running to the back for the SLS. The stuff is greenish when fresh and new and maybe brownish when growing old. Or just the wrong fluid:)
Check reservoir with text CH11S on the cover. Level should just be above embedded cup.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
It sounds like this could potentially be a clutch slave cylinder leak .

Is the fluid level good in the small cylindrical , black plastic capped , reservoir on the driver's side of the engine bay ?

D

·
Registered
48 Posts
It sounds like this could potentially be a clutch slave cylinder leak .

Is the fluid level good in the small cylindrical , black plastic capped , reservoir on the driver's side of the engine bay ?

D
level looks alright. i think i'll keep a bottle of the stuff in the car just in case.

here's a clearer photo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts