BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came back home today and just after parking I saw a small puddle of oil on the floor. Only one minute parked and there was a almost 10cm diameter puddle, so quite a leak really. Saw one small spill every 2 meters on my driveway. I went back to the office to check if there was some oil on the ground where I had parked the whole morning, there was nothing so that happened between the office and home.

I have read many threads and many have experienced a leak where the hoses join the oil cooler, but looked at it from the front grill and it looks perfectly dry. From under the bonnet I can see nothing, except that the underpanel is very oily. Don't know if it's engine oil or power steering. It looks quite thin so rather PS, but it is quite dirty so rather engine ( unless it is the dirt it takes from the underpanel before dropping to the floor ). Oil level in the PS is not low, near minimum but it may be normal.

I could not find a DIY for taking off the underpanel to go and see what can be wrong. Anybody can help with this? Thanks

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you mdyaman.
I recall one year ago or so, I wanted to remove the underpanel, and after taking out tens of screws and plastic bits that hold one to the other, I was unable to remove it and finally abandonned :(
I will have to try again...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I removed the underpanel. Really it was easy, I don't know why last time I could not, maybe I didn't dare to pull strong enoughh, thinking there were internal fixing points.

But I just can't believe my eyes: I can see no leak at all. Just some oil inside of the underpanel, and some also, on the lower suspension arm joint to the chassis. Nothing more, everything is dry there!
Where does that oil come from? Looks a bit red, so I'm more and more thinking power steering, but again, all the hoses look perfect and are completely dry.
Would it possibly be that the oil escapes from one hose under pressure only, so the hose does not get oily?
Or am am missing somethink? I will try to turn the engine on and look below while it's running.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
OK I removed the underpanel. Really it was easy, I don't know why last time I could not, maybe I didn't dare to pull strong enoughh, thinking there were internal fixing points.

But I just can't believe my eyes: I can see no leak at all. Just some oil inside of the underpanel, and some also, on the lower suspension arm joint to the chassis. Nothing more, everything is dry there!
Where does that oil come from? Looks a bit red, so I'm more and more thinking power steering, but again, all the hoses look perfect and are completely dry.
Would it possibly be that the oil escapes from one hose under pressure only, so the hose does not get oily?
Or am am missing somethink? I will try to turn the engine on and look below while it's running.
The engine oil is not red, so I doubt it is that. It's likely power steering fluid as you have stated.

If it indeed does shoot out under pressure, then it may be originating from a source no where near where the "oily parts" are under the hood. It could have sprayed from far away (assuming there was a path). Obviously the S85 makes it tight under the hood, so there aren't too many options.

Another thing you could do is start the car and have someone crank the wheel over while you look down into the hood. Unfortunately, you can't be under the car since the wheels have to be on the ground to create resistance and therefore increase the pressure in the power steering system to instigate the leak, if there is one. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when you look down into the hood. No need going blind from a shot of PS fluid to the eye.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't know what to say.
I have spent almost one our below the car with the engine running, no leak from the engine.
The only moment when I could see some little drops of oil, were when I played with the steering many times from one side of the other. Then I got a few drops,but very little; and I no way was it a leak, it was just the ball joint of the lower suspension arm that looked full of oil, and as it move a bit with the efforts of the wheel rotating, it freed a bit of oil every time, but less and less quantity.
That oil looks quite red. But I also checked my power steering oil and it is not red!
I may seem stupid, but looking everywhere and no sign of where that oil came from.

Don't know if it may be some oil from the last oil change, but that was almost one year and 10.000km ago, with a lot of agressive driving in the meantime, so why would it appear now?
Or is that ball joint filled with oil? That would be the first time I would see that...

I mounted everything again, I will drive the car, let's see...

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Power steering leak?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I first thought, but then if I have looked at all the power steering hoses etc, no sign of leak, and the power steering fluid in my car is yellow, not red...

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
That's what I first thought, but then if I have looked at all the power steering hoses etc, no sign of leak, and the power steering fluid in my car is yellow, not red...
Really wierd as when my other car leaked it only happened once I turned the wheel.

I did find 3 drops of red sticky stuff from under the car but after cleaning the underside it has not leaked since so that's a mystery to me also. I thought I had a trans leak from the plug so I am keeping a close eye on that for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exact same here as well! Strut fluid?
Anyone else had this issue? I have only just discovered the problem, but feel i could spend a bunch of time and learn nothing!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I had what I thought was an oil leak. Saw a little puddle right behind the bumper/right front wheel. Took the plastic cover off. Nothing. I think it was puddled water that had accumulated in there, mixed with the gunk/oil/crud that was in there and then leaked out at some point. I had a small fist sized hole in the plastic cover, probably from hitting something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
David W

I have a BMW M5 2013 that appears to have an engine oil problem. Since buying the car six months ago, just outside warranty, 31k miles, i have replaced two lots of Oxygen/lambda sensors, removed catalytic converter errors, replaced four injectors, and constantly watch blue smoke bellowing out of the silencers.

BMW want to remove and rebuild the engine to find the fault for £5k - no surpise there! and reckon the bill could approach £12k.

There appear to be lots of online postings regarding excessive engine oil use - can anybody provide any guidance on whether this is my only route forward.

BMW have washed there hands of the problem - the BMW careline basically dont care. Any possible advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

·
Registered
911 Posts
Old threats
I have the same issue now on my e63 m6
Small paddle of oil ,,power steering ,,water,, I do now know.
It is under the front passenger tire.( rights side).
I smell it ,,smell like oil.
I do not know.

Any help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Updates...it was the front shocks..I changed both fronts left and right.
Car was feeling jumpy in the roads.

Thank you

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the same issue but it’s not red oil. Also, it doesn't leak if parked on a flat road. I was parked at my friend's last week, nose down, and when I left he called to say there seems to be a leak from the underneath, towards the front. When I had the car on the ramp few weeks before, I noticed some old gunk/grime/dirt oil coming from behind the front centre jacking point (e63 m6). I did have my rod bearings done about 1800 miles ago so I’m hoping if anything it’s a simple gasket or something.

Booked in for Tuesday next week with my indy to have it checked out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Awbimmer
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing