BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed my 93 has developed a slow oil leak shortly after I did my own oil change. Since I just picked up the car about 6 months ago, I don't know what grade of oil was in the car. I replaced it with 15W-50 Mobil 1. The oil seems to be leaking towards the back of the engine block. Had the car up on the lift and couldn't pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from. If I park the car and it drips about 2-3 drops in an hour. Am I using the right grade of oil? Where should I be looking?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
970 Posts
Oil is fine, the original spec was 15w40, I'm currently using 15w50 Silkolene and I know of least one of the members using Amsoil 20w50 which I think I'm going to use next.

I believe your oil leak is coming from either the rocker cover gasket or your sump gasket, they both seem to be a common source of oil leaks.

The rocker cover gasket is simple to replace; The sump is another story, it involves lifting the engine and manipulating the gasket in from there

EBMCS said:
Hi,

I noticed my 93 has developed a slow oil leak shortly after I did my own oil change. Since I just picked up the car about 6 months ago, I don't know what grade of oil was in the car. I replaced it with 15W-50 Mobil 1. The oil seems to be leaking towards the back of the engine block. Had the car up on the lift and couldn't pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from. If I park the car and it drips about 2-3 drops in an hour. Am I using the right grade of oil? Where should I be looking?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yewcorner said:
Oil is fine, the original spec was 15w40, I'm currently using 15w50 Silkolene and I know of least one of the members using Amsoil 20w50 which I think I'm going to use next.

I believe your oil leak is coming from either the rocker cover gasket or your sump gasket, they both seem to be a common source of oil leaks.

The rocker cover gasket is simple to replace; The sump is another story, it involves lifting the engine and manipulating the gasket in from there
I hope it's not the more complicated one. I don't really have the time to have my car in the shop for a few days. I use my car as a daily driver. It's an awesome car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You could also check the tightness of the sump bolts. I had a few oil leaks and replacing the cam cover gasket and tightening up the sump bolts (some of which were really loose) seems to have sorted it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts