BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my chain tensioner today as per vantaam5's instructions. Was surprised to see the old tensioner looked like it is in excellent condition on my 125k motor. However, the story doesn't end there... Noticed a lot of oil in the intake tract and filter box. Looking up old threads seems to indicate this is a problem with the Vanos o-rings.

I had changed the solenoid o-rings to Dr. Vanos o-rings about 6 months ago, so there is always a chance I screwed something up. However I see no external leaks from the solenoid covers, there are no codes and the car runs fine.

I guess I'll have to order some new o-rings and pull those solenoids again. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Clean/replace your oil seperators...

Reactions: sbacchus

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil separators are not clogged, the top hoses are in very good condition. The bottom hoses are a little squishy, but not 100% gone.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Changed my chain tensioner today as per vantaam5's instructions. Was surprised to see the old tensioner looked like it is in excellent condition on my 125k motor. However, the story doesn't end there... Noticed a lot of oil in the intake tract and filter box. Looking up old threads seems to indicate this is a problem with the Vanos o-rings.

I had changed the solenoid o-rings to Dr. Vanos o-rings about 6 months ago, so there is always a chance I screwed something up. However I see no external leaks from the solenoid covers, there are no codes and the car runs fine.

I guess I'll have to order some new o-rings and pull those solenoids again. Any other suggestions?
So the old tensioners looked fine?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You can try solenoide O-rings,just use the original ones....

Remove the intake hose from bank2 on the plenum and start her up.
You will most likely find the oil is pushed up in the plenum by the small hose that connects to bank2 upper chain cover where the Vanos unit sits in.

If this is the case,it is time to pull the Vanos units and clean them...Either clogged bore in the unit or the O-rings between the unit and upper timing chain case are the culprint for the issue...

·
Registered
797 Posts
You can try solenoide O-rings,just use the original ones....

Remove the intake hose from bank2 on the plenum and start her up.
You will most likely find the oil is pushed up in the plenum by the small hose that connects to bank2 upper chain cover where the Vanos unit sits in.
If this is the case,it is time to pull the Vanos units and clean them...Either clogged bore in the unit or the O-rings between the unit and upper timing chain case are the culprint for the issue...

+1 From my reading, it is generally the o-rings between the vanos and the upper timing chain case.

In my case only two of sixteen solenoid screens were intact. I took a shot at just replacing the solenoid o-rings and removing all the screen material I could and it seemed to do the trick. No oil in the intake and no SES light now.

If the MAFs got oily, cleaning may bring them back. Mine needed replacing.

Good Luck,

dj

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally had some time to look at this today. I pulled both intake hoses and see no signs of oil being pushed up. I see drops of oil on the 4 rear intake horns (could have been there from before I started it up), but none on the 4 closest to the front. Pulled the hoses going to the separators and there is no oil coming from there either. Here is a (poor quality) video. I guess I will order 11151406790, 11367830828, 11367830829, 11361406838 and change them out, but I'm a little puzzled at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts