BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a huge oil leak that has filled my intake system. My filters have soaked up the oil being expelled. I just did a chain tensioner replacement and a vanos oring replacement and still the oil precedes to spill in my intake. I am at a loss for words and dont know where to turn next. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled my plenum cover and oil has been pooling in there and is everywhere. Car is still running strong and i have no rattle on startup or a diesel ticking noise.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
This is not a DIY. Even though you might be doing it yourself, DIY implies a guide to a repair that you have accomplished. Had you posted all the pics of your vanos job as a DIY maybe I could have seen where you went wrong. This is a vanos problem.

What else did you do for the vanos board, if all was replacing the o-rings you skipped what you needed to do? Most likely cause of your problem is a solenoid stuck open so you needed to clean and activate each noid.
If you did all that and you are sure they are working then there are other reasons in the vanos that can do this.

Are there any codes?

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is not a DIY. Even though you might be doing it yourself, DIY implies a guide to a repair that you have accomplished. Had you posted all the pics of your vanos job as a DIY maybe I could have seen where you went wrong. This is a vanos problem.

What else did you do for the vanos board, if all was replacing the o-rings you skipped what you needed to do? Most likely cause of your problem is a solenoid stuck open so you needed to clean and activate each noid.
If you did all that and you are sure they are working then there are other reasons in the vanos that can do this.

Are there any codes?

@E39_00M5 - i suggest u listen to every word Sailor24 tells u, he will definitely be a great help, he helped me a ton when i had the same problem

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok. I pulled my vanos board again and found 1 out of 8 solenoids bad. Is this enough to cause the oil leak that im having? And im having no codes appear. I also noticed that bank2's board is leaking more. The solenoid orings that hold themselves into the board are shot and dont even hold the solenoids in place firmly. I tested bank 1 and everything looks good. I will send bank2's board into dr vanos tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Yes a none functioning noid causes this. If you are sending him one board send him both. I would suggest you find a nice post on the board repair/cleaning and do it yourself then you will have your car up and running faster and cheaper. Smitty wrote a good DIY, sorry don't remember the first part of his handle.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Reactions: Sailor24 and mgdmb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just did solenoid repair recently (cleaning, new o-rings, re-soldering) and although they were in pretty good shape but started to fail the difference it made is very noticeable. DIY's are of great help and the job is not too hard.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just figured I'd chime in with my experience. I had oil in the right hand intake tube, MAF, filter, air box, etc. when I bought the car. Shortly after, I cleaned the oil separators and replaced all associated hoses. After 5,000-7,000 miles i checked again a few days ago. No oil in sight!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts