BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a question. I have a 2000 m5 (2/00 production date). I was wondering if I can use any oil besides 10w-60 in my car. The main reason I ask this is because I live in NJ and the past winters have been really cold, so I was wondering if it'd be ok to run thinner oil. I don't really drive the car that hard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so basically I can switch to 5w-30 in the winter if its extremely cold regardless of the production date of my car? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so its ok to use thinner oil :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
You don't have to, though. I've been using 10w60 even in NY winters (75 mile daily commutes) and the oil analyses kept coming back with great results.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well I was just worrying because I've been reading a lot about rod bearing failures and cold starts. don't want anything to happen to the beast! :M5launch:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
ok well I was just worrying because I've been reading a lot about rod bearing failures and cold starts. don't want anything to happen to the beast! :M5launch:
You said that you don't drive the car that hard, this means that you rarely bounce off the limiter, meaning that your rod bearings will probably be fine. Of course, it depends on your mileage and previous owners.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought in cold weather 10w-60 oil has the viscosity of honey and can cause rapid engine wear. but then again I am a noob and could be wrong haha

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:woowoo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts