BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
It’s supposed to get the car up to temp faster which “theoretically” lessens the cold start bearing damage by warming up the oil quicker and lessen in the cold start/warmup time.

specialized....can you link me to the DIY you are using for the stat swap?I’m trying to find the best one.

oh and got that last coil out. Wait until you see this “tool”. Hahaha. Spark plugs done!

View attachment 937373

Used vise grips on the coil and ran this toilet bowl lever through the hole on the vice grips and bent the end to make a handle. Made my own “hole clip”. Who said toilets were only good for one thing haha.
have you ever tried any of the $25 Coils from places like Aliexpress?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Are you going to put an AliExpress watch band on your Rolex?

I’m ok with AliExpress for “some” things (little cosmetic mods). But hell no. I’m not cheaping out on something as important as coils on a $25k engine

·
Registered
586 Posts
It’s supposed to get the car up to temp faster which “theoretically” lessens the cold start bearing damage by warming up the oil quicker and lessen in the cold start/warmup time.

specialized....can you link me to the DIY you are using for the stat swap?I’m trying to find the best one.

oh and got that last coil out. Wait until you see this “tool”. Hahaha. Spark plugs done!

View attachment 937373

Used vise grips on the coil and ran this toilet bowl lever through the hole on the vice grips and bent the end to make a handle. Made my own “hole clip”. Who said toilets were only good for one thing haha.
Nice.. I looked in the DIY section and I almost missed it. I'm doing what TKHATER posted on the thread.. it seems pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Are you going to put an AliExpress watch band on your Rolex?

I’m ok with AliExpress for “some” things (cosmetic mods). But hell no. I’m not cheaping out on something as important as coils on a $25k engine
LOL.. If I blew up my motor and I had 25k I probably wouldn't stay 5.0.. more like a Troy Jeup 6.0 instead but I know what you mean..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Would love to get started with taking off the intake plenums already since my rebuilt throttle actuators are arriving tomorrow but I have to wait till I put my daughter to sleep.. hmmmmm

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dunno about you but if the same oem suppliers are all buying from the same chinese factory... it’d be the same thing as buying bmw parts for 5x the price. Even the bmw brand coils are made in china. They will not be made in Germany for $100 a coil.

if chinese factories are making the newest tech coils for the latest bmw’s... then im sure this “old tech” can be manufactured as good as any.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Would love to get started with taking off the intake plenums already since my rebuilt throttle actuators are arriving tomorrow but I have to wait till I put my daughter to sleep.. hmmmmm
all my parts for the thermostat install is coming “by end of day tomorrow”. Stat, o-rings, crush washers, BMW goop...I’m hoping it comes earlier than later....each hour that passes my memory of how to rebuild the entire engine bay decreases :unsure:

it’s nice though having done plugs bc everything is pretty much ready...just need to take off undertray (if I can’t find a way to feed a drain hose from radiator down through) and loosen the front hoses on the plenum.

·
Registered
586 Posts
all my parts for the thermostat install is coming “by end of day tomorrow”. Stat, o-rings, crush washers, BMW goop...I’m hoping it comes earlier than later....each hour that passes my memory of how to rebuild the entire engine bay decreases :unsure:

it’s nice though having done plugs bc everything is pretty much ready...just need to take off undertray (if I can’t find a way to feed a drain hose from radiator down through) and loosen the front hoses on the plenum.
What's that bmw goop??

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What's that bmw goop??
oh the BMW coolant. It’s cheap and I just like to stick with OEM fluid. I bought a gallon with all the other stuff and I have 1 gallon of distilled water. I’m thinking/hoping 2 gallons (50/50) is enough if I do a full drain from the bottom rad drain plug

·
Registered
586 Posts
oh the BMW coolant. It’s cheap and I just like to stick with OEM fluid. I bought a gallon with all the other stuff and I have 1 gallon of distilled water. I’m thinking/hoping 2 gallons (50/50) is enough if I do a full rad drain from the bottom rad drain plug
Where and when did you order yours? Did you do overnight delivery? I ordered my washers from ECS and the thermo on Ebay and kinda regretting not doing overnight shipping. Got tempted to not do the thermo cuz I got a big kid playground I gotta build. But I might as well do it cuz I don't want to deal with this later. Found out my AFD E85 controller is not arriving till Wednesday or so next week. I can get away with not taking the plenum off when installing that system since its mostly just injector harness.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That’s brave dabbling in the E85 realm. It’s too new of a mod for me to even decide if the juice is worth the squeeze (or risk).

I got all my parts through FCP Euro (free lifetime replacement on everything). Ordered Wednesday afternoon and selected free shipping. Came from CT and original invoicesaid del on 9th or 10th...but for some reason didn’t leave the warehouse until Thursday evening. I’m ok with 3 day free though...I was just hoping I’d get it so I could do all this stuff this weekend so it worked out

·
Registered
586 Posts
That’s brave dabbling in the E85 realm. It’s too new of a mod for me to even decide if the juice is worth the squeeze (or risk).

I got all my parts through FCP Euro (free lifetime replacement on everything). Ordered Wednesday afternoon and selected free shipping. Came from CT and original invoicesaid del on 9th or 10th...but for some reason didn’t leave the warehouse until Thursday evening. I’m ok with 3 day free though...I was just hoping I’d get it so I could do all this stuff this weekend so it worked out
Meh.. E85 on our cars has been around long enough for me to have a little piece of mind. But yeah to each their own. If anything from what I've read I might make a change to an Evolve tune if FAMS doesn't make an E85 specific tune. But I'm pretty excited. I'm definitely not short changing for critical parts and mods on the car so I'm confident enough. These recent issues with the TA's I consider PM's anyway..

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yea I don’t know the power increase to cost for running E85....haven’t really looked into it.

I DO Want a FAMS tune though...but his recent call-out thread has made me a little uneasy throwing him $700+

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yea I don’t know the power increase to cost for running E85....haven’t really looked into it.

I DO Want a FAMS tune though...but his recent call-out thread has made me a little uneasy throwing him $700+
FAMS + RMS headers man.. performance bargain for our cars imho. Im not all about straight line but when the passenger seat and car seat are empty I cant help it sometimes. Had some pretty decent kills with that combo..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts