BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the process of getting ready to do the plugs (thermostat next) and saw a little oil on the plastic spark plug cover in the very back. Took a closer look and saw this. Rise for concern?
I really didn’t/don’t want to have to take off the plenums. What’s this hose for? Does something need replaced here or just a tiny hose clamp leak? Passenger side is fine. Pics attached....top pic is driver side and bottom is passenger side

·
Registered
681 Posts
Its part of the pcv system I think the return to the oil sump. I would just clean it up and monitor.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok....yea it doesn't seem to be a big leak. Enough to saturate the hose covering and leave a little stain on the spark plug cover. I'm guessing whatever would need swapped in under the plenum. Could always check and see if the hose is split at the end and put a new hose clamp on it I guess. But I wanted to check if I should be concerned.

8 out of 10 new plugs are in.
9/10 coil packs came off successfully. I saved the back 2 for last and tried getting the passanger out without taking off the cabin filter cowl and pryed the handle off the coil pack....took of the cowl and got the driver side pretty easy. Thats what I get for trying to short cut I guess.

Now I have to figure out how to get that back passenger coil pack with no handle off.....very tight and thinking about vice grips IF they dont just crush the white plastic top piece

·
Registered
294 Posts
ok....yea it doesn't seem to be a big leak. Enough to saturate the hose covering and leave a little stain on the spark plug cover. I'm guessing whatever would need swapped in under the plenum. Could always check and see if the hose is split at the end and put a new hose clamp on it I guess. But I wanted to check if I should be concerned.

8 out of 10 new plugs are in.
9/10 coil packs came off successfully. I saved the back 2 for last and tried getting the passanger out without taking off the cabin filter cowl and pryed the handle off the coil pack....took of the cowl and got the driver side pretty easy. Thats what I get for trying to short cut I guess.

Now I have to figure out how to get that back passenger coil pack with no handle off.....very tight and thinking about vice grips IF they dont just crush the white plastic top piece
It’s normal to see that bit of oil haze around the PCV hose, maybe the old hose has a bit of a leak?

The key to taking that handle-less coil is to rotate with a backwards and forward motion (CW and then CCW) while pulling outwards with a consistent force. It will eventually come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s normal to see that bit of oil haze around the PCV hose, maybe the old hose has a bit of a leak?

The key to taking that handle-less coil is to rotate with a backwards and forward motion (CW and then CCW) while pulling outwards with a consistent force. It will eventually come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i can barely get my big hands/fingers on it to rotate. I just got some liquid Wrench and using the straw shot a little between the rubber and the manifold to let it work over night. I wonder if I can lift the rubber "tongue" up so the coil can rotate past the barrier on each side.....maybe it will help loosen the seal. I'm going to try putting a rag over the white plastic part and some vice grips on it and see what I can pull up on. Space is tight and trying to get something clamped on there I can pull up on on (that won't slip off without crushing the white plastic even more)

·
1,948 Posts
The other end of that hose has a quick disconnect fitting. No idea why most people insist on messing with the clamp side.

·
Registered
579 Posts
In the process of getting ready to do the plugs (thermostat next) and saw a little oil on the plastic spark plug cover in the very back. Took a closer look and saw this. Rise for concern?
I really didn’t/don’t want to have to take off the plenums. What’s this hose for? Does something need replaced here or just a tiny hose clamp leak? Passenger side is fine. Pics attached....top pic is driver side and bottom is passenger side

View attachment 937321
View attachment 937322
I will be addressing this hose as well when I do my actuators this weekend and post on this thread my findings. Most likely its the clamp on the plenum side that is having a leak.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you have it too? You think it’s worth getting in there or just leave it be? I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a PCV valve leaking or something

I guess if you are going to be taking off the plenums for you IA’s then you might as well....but from what I’m seeing here is it’s normal and not to mess with it. If anything take off that clamp on clamp and replace with a regular hose clamp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dude do not break the coils if they dont come out especially if they are the back ones

Fill up the cylinder with wd40, wiggle them and leave overnight. And they will pop out with ease. Clean every bit of wd40 out of there with a rag/towel and around it. use phone camera to check inside for wd40.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha it’s not like I’m “trying to break it”. I got the rear driver side out. The rear passanger side clip broke off. So I bought a new coil to replace it. But I have to figure a way to get the one with broken off clip out. I put some liquid wrench between the rubber and the block last night. Letting it sit. Is 40* here now so going to wait until tomorrow when it will be mid 50s.

any suggestion on what to fit in there and grab onto the white plastic stub that’s left on the coil (no more clip) to pull it out. Only thing I can think of is a rag and vice grips. But pulling space is limited...as well as room to get a tool i there

·
Registered
579 Posts
So you have it too? You think it’s worth getting in there or just leave it be? I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a PCV valve leaking or something

I guess if you are going to be taking off the plenums for you IA’s then you might as well....but from what I’m seeing here is it’s normal and not to mess with it. If anything take off that clamp on clamp and replace with a regular hose clamp.
Yeah I got the same thing. Im already gonna take the plenums off so Im gonna deal with it while Im there.. and the upper pcv valves, all the injectors, and the thermostat and replace it with a 190 degree one - I just wanna try that out with my Redline 5w50.. plus install the AFD E85 connectors to the injectors..

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Contemplated that stat and the 5w50 but too many stories about the fan constantly running. Plus I had 10qts BMW 10w60 and change kit in storage so I just did that (last week).

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New coil picked up from BMW today (wanted to stick with Gen OEM on this car) $144. Glad I only broke one.

damn shame too Bc only the one side plastic mounting ears/tabs for the clip ripped off and that’s why the clip came off...the clip and coil itself are fine....crap design.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Contemplated that stat and the 5w50 but too many stories about the fan constantly running. Plus I had 10qts BMW 10w60 and change kit in storage so I just did that (last week).
Yeah I read about that too. We'll see if the fans do turn on a lot that it annoys me enough to put a factory thermo back on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
fan on all the time would mean the engine is being cooled faster and sooner, no? If anything i see it as a benefit... considering the amount of parts/rubber/plastic/wires that get ruined over time due to the extreme heat. All Aside from the fact that a cooler engine is an efficient and better performing engine. Less oil consumption too i believe?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The fan will run more with the higher t-stat, I have it on my car. It runs everytime I turn my car off without fail for around 2 mins. There are people here who say your fan will fail at some point because of this, and they are rather expensive. I’m not going to speak to that because I don’t know the answer, but it’s something to keep in mind. Also dmitry, the engine is running at a higher temp with the other thermostat not lower.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I read about that too. We'll see if the fans do turn on a lot that it annoys me enough to put a factory thermo back on.
so you’re experienced in replacing the stat then? Can I get away with just losseining and taking the front hose or 2 out of the plenum?

I read somewhere that the two plastic squeeze clamps behind the plenum (against the firewall) need take off bc they are susceptible to breaking?

·
Registered
579 Posts
so you’re experienced in replacing the stat then? Can I get away with just losseining and taking the front hose or 2 out of the plenum?

I read somewhere that the two plastic squeeze clamps behind the plenum (against the firewall) need take off bc they are susceptible to breaking?
Nah man I've never done this job before but I look forward to it. It is no way as bad as the clutch job I did with a friend on my 4x4 frontier.. or this damn head gasket job Im about to do to the same truck ?.. But it is in the DIY section and Im about to follow that. Already ordered the Motorad 880090 thermo, gaskets, etc. One problem I have though is that the radiator drain plug head is ripped off. I will tackle the thermo after I have done the other stuff first.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So if the engine temps are higher with the Motorad thermostat... wouldn’t this make the whole heat soaking thing worse? Is there even any point of doing this if you live in a very warm place like Florida, Puerto rico, etc...

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s supposed to get the car up to temp faster which “theoretically” lessens the cold start bearing damage by warming up the oil quicker and lessen in the cold start/warmup time.

specialized....can you link me to the DIY you are using for the stat swap?I’m trying to find the best one.

oh and got that last coil out. Wait until you see this “tool”. Hahaha. Spark plugs done!

Used vise grips on the coil and ran this toilet bowl lever through the hole on the vice grips and bent the end to make a handle. Made my own “hole clip”. Who said toilets were only good for one thing haha.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts