BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!
When lifting up my M5 the other day, I noticed some leakage. Drops hanging from the motor/gearbox protective covering. Not much, not even a drop on my garage floor, but I put it on a lift and removed the covering. The leakage came from what looks like an oil plug at the right side rear end of the gearbox. To me, the fluid looks more like hydraulic fluid than gearbox oil, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone know for sure what this plug is, and what fluid it's supposed to keep from leaking out? I tightened the plug, and cleaned all parts and surfaces and it seems to have stoped leaking, but I don't know how much fluid that has been lost. Some small stains could be seen on the right side exhaust pipe, from the airspeed picking up some fluid.
There is a horizontal plug just above this one, and I guess it's a level-plug, to see when the fluid level is correct.
What do I need (what fluid) and how do I do it?
Thanks for any input!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The "bolt" is the transmission fluid filter, it contains a cylinder shaped metal screen which should be cleaned when replacing the fluid.
Air is routed to flow through the transmission cooler blowing the leaking fluid onto the road, so it might be difficult to tell how much fluid has been lost :nono:

It might be a good time to change your transmission fluid :lightbulb:
You have already done half the job by removing the large panel under the engine.
Replace the washers, drain/fill/filter all use the same part: 07119963300

The drain plug is an 8mm allen, on the bottom of the transmission.
The fill plug is on the side of the transmission, and the cooler must be moved to access.
The hoses do not need to be removed. The cooler assembly is held by a couple bolts, then it will move toward the rear of the car and down.

Torque specs:
drain/fill plugs: 40Nm
filter: 25Nm
mounts: 10Nm

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, Thanks!!
However I still have a couple of more questions:
I had problem getting the part number for the correct fluid from the Swedish BMW dealer. They said that I need to see the color of some sticker on the gearbox?!
1. What's the number for the "latest and greatest" transmission fluid to use in my gearbox?
2. Can the filter/mesh be cleaned and re-used or does it need to be replaced?
3. How can I be sure that no components have been damaged, due to lack of fluid?
4. The cold season is just starting here in Sweden now, and I will put the M5 to winter rest soon. But I have noticed that If I start driving during "cold start program" (if it can be called that), when the car just have been started up and the exhaust flaps still are open, the gear changes are not very smooth, it's a cyclic jerky/springy feeling, "oscillating" at about 1 Hz for about 2-3 seconds on each gear change from 1st up to 4th gear. It never does this if I wait for approx 2 minutes, until the exhaust flaps are closed and the cold start program is finished and then drive away. Can this be casued by too low fluid level/damages caused by too low fluid levels? To me it's more related to the clutch or -hydraulic unit.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I had problem getting the part number for the correct fluid from the Swedish BMW dealer. They said that I need to see the color of some sticker on the gearbox?!
1. What's the number for the "latest and greatest" transmission fluid to use in my gearbox?

MTF LT-2 is the fluid I have been using.
part number: 83220309031

2. Can the filter/mesh be cleaned and re-used or does it need to be replaced?
It can be reused.

3. How can I be sure that no components have been damaged, due to lack of fluid?
Measure the drained fluid and compare to the amount used to fill, so you will know how low you were.
The fluid change uses 2-3 liters.

4. The cold season is just starting here in Sweden now, and I will put the M5 to winter rest soon. But I have noticed that If I start driving during "cold start program" (if it can be called that), when the car just have been started up and the exhaust flaps still are open, the gear changes are not very smooth, it's a cyclic jerky/springy feeling, "oscillating" at about 1 Hz for about 2-3 seconds on each gear change from 1st up to 4th gear. It never does this if I wait for approx 2 minutes, until the exhaust flaps are closed and the cold start program is finished and then drive away. Can this be casued by too low fluid level/damages caused by too low fluid levels? To me it's more related to the clutch or -hydraulic unit.
You might want to start a new thread with this question. I don't know anything about "exhaust flaps" :eek:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok! Once again, many thanks!!
I'll try starting a new thread. Im not sure if it can be called "flaps". I just know what BMW in Sweden calls them. At least my M5 makes a rather loud exhaust noise the first two minutes after a cold start. After that, you can hear an electric motor buzzing under the car and the exhaust noise decreases.
The real question was, if I should be alarmed that the clutch operates different when the car is cold? Is this "normal" or is it a sign of a beginning clutch problem?
But I'll start a new thread :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "bolt" is the transmission fluid filter, it contains a cylinder shaped metal screen which should be cleaned when replacing the fluid.
Air is routed to flow through the transmission cooler blowing the leaking fluid onto the road, so it might be difficult to tell how much fluid has been lost :nono:

You have already done half the job by removing the large panel under the engine.

The fill plug is on the side of the transmission, and the cooler must be moved to access.
The hoses do not need to be removed. The cooler assembly is held by a couple bolts, then it will move toward the rear of the car and down.

Torque specs:
Is the fill plug also a level indicator plug? In other words, I fill up until the internal fluid level reaches the fill plug?
Do you know anything about greasing up the clutch release bearing?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, the job is done! Thanks for all helpful input!!
The oil cooler had two screws that had to be removed. One in the front end and one at the bottom in the rear. Then it could be moved to acess the fill plug. I drained the fluid through the filter plug, after lowering down the cooler. That was the lowest point for best drain. The fluid change requires 2,55 lit of fluid, according to BMW. And that was exactly correct. I meassured the drained fluid as well and found that 0,2-0,25 lit was missing! Hope this didn't damage anything! The drained fluid was a little bit greyish. But I think it's normal, when used. I will give BMW a call and see what they think. The transmission performance is perfect, so I think it's ok now. I also found the reason for the leakage. The seal washer for the filter plug was not aligned correctly. It was so much off centre that it had been clamped in the last turn of thread. No wonder it didn't sit tight. Im sorry to say that I no longer trust the BMW mechanics...

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Is the fill plug also a level indicator plug? In other words, I fill up until the internal fluid level reaches the fill plug?
Correct, fill until the fluid reaches the fill plug.
(I realize you are already done, but wanted to post the answer for future searches)

...I meassured the drained fluid as well and found that 0,2-0,25 lit was missing! Hope this didn't damage anything!
The level was only slightly low :M5thumbs:
It's good that you detected the leak, you might have had serious problems in a few months :nono:

...I also found the reason for the leakage. The seal washer for the filter plug was not aligned correctly. It was so much off centre that it had been clamped in the last turn of thread. No wonder it didn't sit tight. Im sorry to say that I no longer trust the BMW mechanics...
The washer might have been reused :nono: They need to be replaced :lightbulb:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Clyde, where is the screen filter on the cooler?
It's pos.2 on the top image. Looks like a long bolt on this image. It's a steel mesh filter, that can be cleaned and reused. Mine was clean.
Or, just look at what I am pointing at in the photo in the first post on this thread (to locate it easy IRL). :)
I guess you understand that the fluid will leak as soon as you untighten the filter holder? Make sure you are able to open the fill plug first, before opening the filter!! Otherwise you will not be able to fill the gearbox with new fluid/top it up.
Replace the seal washer as clyde said! The new washer was different from the old one also, but I have a MY2006.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's pos.2 on the top image. Looks like a long bolt on this image. It's a steel mesh filter, that can be cleaned and reused. Mine was clean.
Or, just look at what I am pointing at in the photo in the first post on this thread (to locate it easy IRL). :)
I guess you understand that the fluid will leak as soon as you untighten the filter holder? Make sure you are able to open the fill plug first, before opening the filter!! Otherwise you will not be able to fill the gearbox with new fluid/top it up.
Replace the seal washer as clyde said! The new washer was different from the old one also, but I have a MY2006.
Ok, just wanted to make sure I was looking at the same part. I did my engine oil this past weekend at 73,500 and experiencing leaks at the following locations: SMG hydraulic unit drain bolt at the bottom, and the transmission bolt.

Time to replace the SMG, Tranny, Diff fluids along with new washers/bolts.

I guess brake cleaner should be fine for cleaning the filter huh?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, just wanted to make sure I was looking at the same part. I did my engine oil this past weekend at 73,500 and experiencing leaks at the following locations: SMG hydraulic unit drain bolt at the bottom, and the transmission bolt.

Time to replace the SMG, Tranny, Diff fluids along with new washers/bolts.

I guess brake cleaner should be fine for cleaning the filter huh?
Ok, they seem to have problems with fluid leakage from the SMG gear boxes.
Change all seal washers to new ones! My old ones were copper and the new ones looks like aluminium.
Brake cleaner should work, just make sure it's all dry and clean before you put it back in. Mineral oil is not healthy, so aviod too much blowing with compressed air.
You should drain the gear box and see how much fluid is missing. As I wrote, I had no dripping on my garage floor, so it's difficult to say how much leakage you have had.

Do you have any pictures/DIY thread on how to change the engine oil?? :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
421 Posts

Torque specs:
Here's an interesting twist to the actual drain/fill plugs on the tranny per post #17 in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/148157-smg-leaking-hydraulic-fluid-did-search-but.html

The OP stated that BMW replaced the plug with one having an integrated crush washer. The part looks to be used with the manual tranny and perhaps could be a better alternative as the crush washer may provide a better seal as I have noticed the actually copper washer may slightly move out of position causing it to be crushed more on one end.

Just thinking this out loud to see what other opinions are out there.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New seal washers bought from BMW using the part number on these "drawings", are no longer copper and they fit tighter around the threaded part of the plug. No risk of misalignment, as with the old copper version.

Here's an interesting twist to the actual drain/fill plugs on the tranny per post #17 in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/148157-smg-leaking-hydraulic-fluid-did-search-but.html

The OP stated that BMW replaced the plug with one having an integrated crush washer. The part looks to be used with the manual tranny and perhaps could be a better alternative as the crush washer may provide a better seal as I have noticed the actually copper washer may slightly move out of position causing it to be crushed more on one end.

Just thinking this out loud to see what other opinions are out there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
please post this to DIY thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts