BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW UK have no M5 oil filters at all.

Running in services cannot be carried out and they are trying urgently to obtain stocks of the filters.

I have had a letter from BMW UK extending my running in period from 1200 miles to 1600 confirm they will honour the warranty given it has gone over the stated period.

They have apologised that they are unable to provide the oil filters and therefore not carry out the running in service, and hope to get it as soon as possible.

I was booked in for Friday, now its next Wednesday. Hope it comes in! As if I hit 1600 or near enough It will go over before I get to a dealer, I have been told to stop using the car and get it recovered to a dealer.

Can't believe how crap this is.

·
Registered
271 Posts
mmmm...that's not very well planned is it?? :nono:

·
Registered
180 Posts
MattUK said:
BMW UK have no M5 oil filters at all.

Running in services cannot be carried out and they are trying urgently to obtain stocks of the filters.

I have had a letter from BMW UK extending my running in period from 1200 miles to 1600 confirm they will honour the warranty given it has gone over the stated period.

They have apologised that they are unable to provide the oil filters and therefore not carry out the running in service, and hope to get it as soon as possible.

I was booked in for Friday, now its next Wednesday. Hope it comes in! As if I hit 1600 or near enough It will go over before I get to a dealer, I have been told to stop using the car and get it recovered to a dealer.

Can't believe how crap this is.
That explains it !!!! - My colleague was due to get his car next Saturday but BMW GB had called his dealer to state that due to some issue at the factory all M5's are in a "stuck" status or something along those lines. Basically no car is leaving the factory. The oil filter shortage must be the issue ?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ghufran said:
That explains it !!!! - My colleague was due to get his car next Saturday but BMW GB had called his dealer to state that due to some issue at the factory all M5's are in a "stuck" status or something along those lines. Basically no car is leaving the factory. The oil filter shortage must be the issue ?
As on other threads believe it is the oil pump that is currently holding up production

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ahh, the teething issues of owning one of the first, its a small price to pay to have had the privelage of driving a very nice car, but on a side note I hope they compensate you because this is a bit dodgy, Josh

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Weird. Of course, if it is an oil filter problem it makes me wonder why BMW would ask for trouble by going to a new design filter. Why not just reuse an existing design?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
vndkshn said:
Weird. Of course, if it is an oil filter problem it makes me wonder why BMW would ask for trouble by going to a new design filter. Why not just reuse an existing design?
Same reason that they went with a new signal stalk, adaptive brake lights, active steering, idrive.......

Their motto seems to be, if it ain't broke, change it, so it breaks, then we can fix it. 'Proven' designs seem to be a liability in their new corporate thinking. Quite sad really.

CP

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I actually disagree. Your examples are not related to the oil filter at all. Yours are about technology improvements, or if not improvements, at least advancements.

I like the new signal stalk, and if someone doesn't like it, they can turn it off so it will work like a normal one. But, since there are many that like it, BMW chose to add it. And since some automatically jump on the "weird trun signals" and hate I-Drive, they don't give the car a chance and see that you can use I-Drive to change the behavior of the stalk (along with many other things) Adaptive brake lights I somewhat agree, however the design intention is a valid one, not only to let people know you are hitting the brakes, but how hard. BMW is not the only one using it. Active Steering, again a great idea and I am somewhat disappointed it is not on the M5, however I can understand why they chose to leave it off, partially because of feel issues, partially because of weight, and partially because some people (especially "purists") had a problem with the changing ratios. I think AS's one issue that I would have a hard time getting over is its built in "cross wind correction" that automatically corrects for the car being blown around. I have experienced this and it definately goes against your natural instinct to correct it yourself. I-Drive, while not perfect does fix the broken interface in the E39, which is a joke. I suspect each generation will continue to improve. My only beef with I-Drive is that they have not fully taken advantage of the interface, giving me a hard drive to store audio/video, and allowed me to really tune every little bit of the driving experience.

Using your examples, yet going back 20 years or so I can list several improvements to the auto industry that are similar to yours... ABS brakes, Traction Control, DSC/ESP systems, airbags, etc. A generation before that... Air Conditioning. Someone complained about each of those when they were released... now they are expected.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The same happened to me at the 2000km revision. The dealer changed the oil and then allowed me to go another 1000 km with the old filter, preserving the driving restrictions (up to 5500 rot and 170km/h). When the new filter arrived they changed again the oil.
If you can t solve the problem you can advise your dealer that they can find some filters in stock at Automobile Bavaria (the Romanian BMW Dealer). I know that after this event they ordered enough oil filters.

Regards,

Lucian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts