BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry that I had to make this thread, searching didnt seem to help me.

I am planning on doing an oil change on my 02 this weekend, and I was peeking under the hood, and i realized my oil filter canister is not hooked up very well. the rubber mounts one is completely seperated, the other is broken but not detached.

Do i need to order this black piece that it was attached to, and replace the whole thing?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Hi, Dicker.

NO, you only need the two attachment pieces (they are expensive, as I recall ... for screws, anyway ... i.e., they may very well be more than $ 5.30).

You will need a pair of pliers, or something like vice grips to remove the old ones. Just grab the rubber part and turn. The lower female part (2) is welded to the underside of the black bracket.

Then when you change the filter, use a strap wrench to hold the base so you don't ruin the rubber on a new attachment screw. If you always use a strap wrench, they will last for a long time.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I had to slot my broken one with a dremel (cut-off wheel) and turn it out with a flat-head screwdriver.. it's a pretty easy fix.

and as jclyman says, just make sure you secure that little sucker whenever you open it up, or torque it down.

- Tim

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Mine are shot as well, and are on the list for replacement at the next oil change interval (about 2500 miles from now).

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
i.e., they may very well be more than $5.30.
yes they are. when I asked at my local dealer (Princeton) I was quoted like $16 each. a north Jersey dealer I eBayed my front cupholder from offered them up to me for $13 each. doubt you'll find 'em much cheaper than that Dicker. I didn't purchase because I have CPO. If you have any BMW warranty left they're covered. Also I think they are a dealer only part...so you might not have any other option but to hit up a dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work for a dealer, so I'll order them here and hope my discount is close to 5.30

The S62 takes 9 quarts of oil correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah,I did. Use wire grommets or faucet washers plus appropriately sized bolts and nuts from the hardware store. Better than original and for pennies!!

Bennji

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I work for a dealer, so I'll order them here and hope my discount is close to 5.30

The S62 takes 9 quarts of oil correct?
NO!

No more than 7 quarts. At 7, the oil will be slightly above the top mark.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tried replacing the OEM rubber insulated bolts with regular bolts - bad idea. There is a surprising amount of vibration in that filter and the rubber insulators keep it from being amplified by the firewall. My car sounded terrible and the noise in the cabin was almost scary.

The OEM ones are not that expensive - just buy some. If you want to replace them with something cheaper, make sure it has plenty of rubber insulation.

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
To avoid this issue in the future you can use the strap wrench as mentioned or try a phillips head screwdriver pressed into the threaded hole near the top of the housing. This allows you to counter the tangential forces placed on the filter housing while loosening the cap.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
WOW their are some BALLERS on this site ouich

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think those things must have tripled in price. I swear they were less than $10 each a few years ago as I bought several of them for spares! I guess BMW figured they were selling a lot of them.

pelican has them for 17??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts