BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change my oil the other day and took off the cover infront of the passenger tire, only to find the bottom of the cover had alot of oil and dirt, and there was oil all along the filter container.

I thought maybe the dealer was messy, whatever emptied it out replaced the filter and the o-ring but when I strarted the car the oil like squirted all out as the o-ring had a dimple or something in it...

So I put the old o-ring back in but thing time when started it just kind of sweats out of the seal very slowly. It stops sweating out after the car is warmed up.

Any ideas? I've never seena puddle of oil under the car before, but yesterday there was a small puddle in that corner maybe the size of half of a dollar bill.

I have an appointment with the stealer, hopefully I get it under warranty, It was obviously leaking like that before... I thought adding a quart of oil every 2 weeks was ALITTLE bit much... lol Though I do have a 45min commute 4 days of the week.

Anyone experience this problem before? What a horrible placement of the oil filter, if you get in a fender bender... there goes all of your oil spilling out!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
There should be no oil leakage around the oil filter housing.

The new O-rings should be lubricated with oil before installation.
The proper torque values are molded into the housing cover :lightbulb:

This upside-down remote oil filter location is a design compromise, likely because of space issues. At least the M5 has an access panel, the M6 does not. It would be easier if the housing was on the top of the engine (like most BMW models and the new M3), but the remote housing is still much better than a spin-on filter stuck to the side of the engine block.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I had same issue after oil change. Mechanic didn't seat o-ring properly and it got pinched causing a small leak. Replaced filter and o-ring, no problems.

Just get it replaced. No big deal, but yes, it does and can happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts