BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's my first time doing an oil change on this particular car (2001 M5) and I'm a little confused.

I ordered this filter here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G6EY72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They looked close enough but when it came to replace the filter, it wouldn't fit. The top plastic nub prevents it from being seated properly as the original filter doesn't have this nub and is flat. Am I overlooking something here? I've tried to put in the filter both ways and seems that it should only fit one way and the plastic is preventing it from fitting.

I went to a local auto store to see if they had filters for my car and the one they said will fit also had the plastic nub on it. Also, the copper crush washer did not fit and was of the smaller size as well...

While were at it, where can I order a replacement plug? The bolt seems half way stripped from previous oil changes.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: I did try searching the forums for similar issues but I seem terrible at searching as I couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The plastic part of the filter is supposed to clip into the oil reservoir cap and become one piece before being screwed into the reservoir. I'm not really sure on the crush washer, but I think I ran into that as well the last time I did an oil change.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The top nub clips onto the Oil filter reservoir cap! The crush washer goes on the Oil drain plug.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Check the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w2E5z7MazU

It requires a little bit force to push the filter and filter reservoir cap together.

-------------
Part numbers:
-------------
11427510717 (Genuine BMW Oil Filter - Made by Hengst)
07119903199 (Genuine BMW Oil Drain Plug M12X1.5-ZNS)
07119963151 (Oil Drain Plug Copper Washer)

---------------------
Aftermarket Oil Filters:
---------------------
MANN HU9384X
Mahle OX 152/1D
Hengst E202H01-D34

·
Registered
470 Posts
I second that it takes a fair amount of force to push the filter onto the cap, it snaps in.

Has anyone else noticed that it is getting hard to get a filter for this car? Wallmart stopped carrying filters for it, my local Advance Auto had them, however the Puralator filter was $25, that is $10 more then any other filter they had on the shelf. I ended up buying some off brand filter that was $14.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Reactions: JimBeemer

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I second that it takes a fair amount of force to push the filter onto the cap, it snaps in.

Has anyone else noticed that it is getting hard to get a filter for this car? Wallmart stopped carrying filters for it, my local Advance Auto had them, however the Puralator filter was $25, that is $10 more then any other filter they had on the shelf. I ended up buying some off brand filter that was $14.

Why would you use anything but an OEM oil filter? $10 at my dealership. I just buy 2 or 3 at a time.

Walmart? Really?

The oil filter is just as important as your brakes, tires, or battery. Get the right part.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Parts from WalMart :eek:

It is very unseemly.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I've been buying the Hengst filters from eBay 4 at a time. Even with shipping it comes out to about $9 each.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why would you use anything but an OEM oil filter? $10 at my dealership. I just buy 2 or 3 at a time.

Walmart? Really?

The oil filter is just as important as your brakes, tires, or battery. Get the right part.....
I have never had an issue with an oil filter that I have bought from anywhere, dealer, Wallmart, (insert generic auto store). They all look and seem the same to me.

The part number is right, they fit well and the quality looks good. It is a paper filter bonded to some foam and a plastic top.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have never had an issue with an oil filter that I have bought from anywhere, dealer, Wallmart, (insert generic auto store). They all look and seem the same to me.

The part number is right, they fit well and the quality looks good. It is a paper filter bonded to some foam and a plastic top.
I bought a car 540i or M5 can't remember which one now, but when I did the first oil change on it after the prior owner it had a Wix filter in it, the paper element had started to collapse in on itself. It felt flimsy post use. So I'd say all filters are not equal. The Hengst never felt flimsy when I remove them post use.

The OEM filters are made by Hengst. You can get the Hengst filters from Pelican for $7.50 a pop. Orders over $75 have free shipping. When I get low on filters I just order a couple/few when I'm ordering other parts over $75 so you get them for $7.50 without shipping charges. ECS also has a good price on the Hengst filter from what I remember.

Reactions: xrviz

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think maybe your old filter has broken up and part of it has stuck in the canister top.
This happened to me at my first oil change.
This might be plausible. I'll take another look. I tried pretty hard to click the filter onto the top but stopped as I figured there is no way it requires so much force to put on the filter.

I'm pretty sure that the top plastic part didn't come off at the top but, I'll check this to make sure.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
That's what my engine builder says.
Yeah, but your builder also installs GM engines in BMW's because he can't make his way around a German car. I'd take anything he says with a 40 lb. bag of Morton's salt pellets.

Reactions: rao

·
Registered
886 Posts
Waking this thread up to ask question that doesn't warrant a new thread. But... I like Mahle filters, and get them from BavAuto. They ran a special last month, free filter with 5 liters of oil.

The Mahle filter I got doesn't say Mahle on it like they used to. Box does, filter does not. Should this bug me? Pic from a previous change.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
Should? no not unless you answer the question of why the name is gone. Speculation is only in your head. But before there, we would have to look at why you even like them and know if you did the correct research. I suspect you really need to have this questioned asked on an OCD forum, but it seems there are a ton here so you might have come to the right place. Personally I have never noticed in any cartridge filter.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Amen to that! I just thought it was my age. I do every other oil change at home. You pay at the dealer to have the oil change (and they always seem to find something else that needs doing), but I always like to see how the new ones drive with their loaners :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Serves me right - ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer. I'll just ask BavAuto what's up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts