BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving along the freeway, and some good Samaritan waves to me and says YOU BLEW A GASKET! I just did an oil change on the vehicle not an hour ago and everything seemed ok. No lights, no warnings, all temperatures looked ago. I pulled off the freeway at the next exit and i start to see smoke billowing out of the hood. I pull over and see OIL everywhere on the passenger side of my engine bay. I checked the cap, and it didnt seem loose at all. I was thinking to myself OOOH CRAP so I called a flatbed and brought her and myself home.

Upon getting home, I take a look around. The dipstick still reads full. I pull off the plenum cover, and theres a little bit of oil on the inside. I did a quick search and people say it's either the oil cap not seated on or failing, or the vanos lines backing up. What do you guys think? Is there anything else i should check for? Is the oil pressure coming out of that cap that high to make its way underneath the plenum cover?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Can't help much, sorry. I think your pics need to be resized. ??????

·
4,395 Posts
not much experience, but i agree - it looks like a combination of the Passenger side Separator being backed up & the Oil Cap not sealing properly

>the stain inside the plenum is right there by the hose

>since the oil on the outside of the caps runs up the neck to the bottom of the cap it's probably the cap
>or maybe one of the outside hoses, but they don't look like they have leaks

again not an expert but the separator/cyclone system is pretty much this

RealOEM.com * BMW E39 M5 Crankcase-Ventilation/oil separator

maybe you want to do the plenum gasket too
RealOEM.com * BMW E39 M5 Intake manifold,air collector upper part

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
From the photos it appears that the source came from the cap but hard to tell...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Check oil separator hose are they leaking. Part #14 at realoem pic. Or you close your oil cap wrong and it was leaking. If oil level is okay, start your car and look for oilleaks.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
You probably overfilled the oil- blows past the cap, makes a mess..then when you start looking for the guilty item, you cant find it..since the overfill is no more.

My guess. Dunt ask how I might know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
WOW! that spray pattern on the hood looks familiar to me. I bought my M5 in December 2009. The car had 51k on it and looks brand new. However, I noticed a spray pattern like yours on my hood. There was a little oil on the right side, similar to yours and I was told I needed a new valve cover gasket.

I cleaned up the residual oil (really just a small amount near the right valve cover) and had my local BMW do a coolant/brake flush plus oil change.

I have been putting 10W60 in every 5k since. I use a mitivac fluid extractor and extract the oil through the dip stick tube. I have not had any oil leaks at all. The original owner complained of an oil leak and BMW replaced the oil cap. Also, when my local BMW did my first oil change I noticed oil around the oil cap within a few days.

Not sure if any of this helps, but I would suspect the oil cap. Also, check the big electrical connector on the ABS/stability control unit. Mine was soaked with fluid and you might want to clean it up the best you can to prevent any problems.

I never had the amount of oil you have. However, my car has signs of an oil leak exactly like yours.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You probably overfilled the oil- blows past the cap, makes a mess..then when you start looking for the guilty item, you cant find it..since the overfill is no more.

My guess. Dunt ask how I might know.

I think you are spot on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would like to also say thanks for the pics. I was worried the front right fluid line connection on the ABS/traction control unit was wrong on my M5. It appears to not go down as far as the others. However, yours look exactly like mine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Think it's pretty obvious that you overfilled the engine if oil level is still at the top and so much oil has already come out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll check it all out tomorrow morning again. I drained it until it was dribbling and only put in 7.x L. i first put in 7 liters, checked it, fired it up and then put in another half liter. I can't believe there was so much oil left, but i guess there was. ugh. good time to clean the engine bay i guess.

·
Registered
911 Posts
<table bgcolor="white" border="1" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">Engine</td><td>S62</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Engine Oil</td><td align="right">6.50 Liter</td></tr></tbody></table>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts