BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m considering oil cooler option as I’m moving to a 92mm pulley.
When searching posts I couldn’t get a clear answer and some posts are quite old.
What’s the best option?:

- delete under plenum heat exchanger
- delete under plenum heat exchanger and use an additional oil cooler (with gulf oil filter housing etc.)
- keep under plenum heat exchanger and add an additional oil cooler

Thanks

2002 BMW E39 M5
2019 BMW M4 30th Ed Jahre Vert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My opinion is number 2 but modified.

HE delete, with CSF radiator with oil cooler combo or RK oil cooler with CFS radiator. The aluminum radiator helps. In my experience, the car runs anywhere from 10-15 degrees cooler pending on outside temps.

Deleting the HE will imply that it will take longer for your car to warm up, but I think the benefits outweigh the cons. At least for me. Also it’s not just install oil cooler and call it a day. A well designed shrout will increase efficiency of the oil cooler.

Also, initially installing the oil cooler in front of the bottom grill sounds logical, but it’s not optimal. Look at the Dinan design, e60 and F10 design. They have something in common when it comes to the location of the oil cooler.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
Hi I’m considering oil cooler option as I’m moving to a 92mm pulley.
When searching posts I couldn’t get a clear answer and some posts are quite old.
What’s the best option?:

- delete under plenum heat exchanger
- delete under plenum heat exchanger and use an additional oil cooler (with gulf oil filter housing etc.)
- keep under plenum heat exchanger and add an additional oil cooler

Thanks

2002 BMW E39 M5

I would also say #2. I did not bother removing the HE, but I would if I had reason to pull things apart.

I have Setrab oil cooler mounted behind the grill, gulf oil filter housing, and Zionsville (stock size) aluminum radiator. No track work to date.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My opinion is number 2 but modified.

HE delete, with CSF radiator with oil cooler combo or RK oil cooler with CFS radiator. The aluminum radiator helps. In my experience, the car runs anywhere from 10-15 degrees cooler pending on outside temps.

Deleting the HE will imply that it will take longer for your car to warm up, but I think the benefits outweigh the cons. At least for me. Also it’s not just install oil cooler and call it a day. A well designed shrout will increase efficiency of the oil cooler.

Also, initially installing the oil cooler in front of the bottom grill sounds logical, but it’s not optimal. Look at the Dinan design, e60 and F10 design. They have something in common when it comes to the location of the oil cooler.

Got RK oil cooler, RK radiator and shady’s HE delete kit on the way.....so I can run this with the stock oil filter housing? No need for gulf oil filter?

2002 BMW E39 M5

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Got RK oil cooler, RK radiator and shady’s HE delete kit on the way.....so I can run this with the stock oil filter housing? No need for gulf oil filter?

2002 BMW E39 M5

In theory yes..

Your “RK oil cooler/radiator” solution should include everything you need and you don’t need Golf oil filter housing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
what's up with all the hate for the stock heat exchanger? I get that it actually heats the oil during any condition where the oil temp is less than the coolant temp, but I'm not really looking to keep the oil temp lower than 200-210F anyways. Why would you? The stock heat exchanger, being a liquid-to-liquid exchanger, is efficient and I imagine that it becomes very efficient at higher delta T, for example when oil temps get up to 240F+ on track.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
what's up with all the hate for the stock heat exchanger? I get that it actually heats the oil during any condition where the oil temp is less than the coolant temp, but I'm not really looking to keep the oil temp lower than 200-210F anyways. Why would you? The stock heat exchanger, being a liquid-to-liquid exchanger, is efficient and I imagine that it becomes very efficient at higher delta T, for example when oil temps get up to 240F+ on track.
You should read the purpose behind this. No one is hating on the stock HE... but why read right...

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should read the purpose behind this. No one is hating on the stock HE... but why read right...
I'm filing a hurt feelings report

You're talking about how the location of the stock HE radiates heat into the plenum? Extra-bad on supercharged cars. Or are you talking about another issue?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, my question applies to supercharged M5’s

2002 BMW E39 M5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts