BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil cooler appears to be leaking (which seems to be a common problem), so probably needs replacing.

my question is, are the E60 M5 and the E63 M6 oil coolers the same part?

the part numbers are:

M6: 1722 282 499
M5: 1721 282 499

the stealers are not being very useful as usual and i only ask because i know of an M5 oil cooler for sale much cheaper than the M6 version.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From what i can tell on Realoem they appear to be the same part, in fact i cant find the part number that the Stealers gave me for the M5 part on Realoem.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If the Oil Cooler needs to be replaced get the RPI Oil Cooler. Much more efficient than stock. And cheaper as well.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I replaced my oil cooler last week , it was the same problem as yours the stealer charged me about $1,080.00 USD + labor !
and the stupid thing that got me crazy they charged me 70 USD for removing the front bumper !!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had my oil cooler changed 2 weeks ago the Stealer was gonna charge me 800Euros for a new one, I ended up buying it from outside of Lebanon for a fraction of that price and convinced the stealer to change it for me :7: it seems it is a common issue and I believe the M5 and M6 have the same coolers...

·
Registered
14 Posts
don't know about the part #s.
I found a place online had the oil cooler for ~550. struggling to find the place for a link but it's a bmw parts discounter.
Unless you are going to track the car for extended periods, I would not pay 2x for the RPI cooler. that said, I haven't seen the design to see if the housing is a better design than stock and wouldn't crack from a *small* bump/scrape on the under body (and therefore wouldn't leak again).
The engineer in me says this was pretty crappy design and manufacturing... especially given where mine cracked.

My oil cooler break/leak was the final straw.. ended up trading out of my M6 on Saturday..

·
Registered
195 Posts
my oil cooler stated leaking last year after i bottomed out on a ramp. I had mine welded by a fiend of mine for $50 an a 24 pack of beer.
it was leaking right where the two hoses connect to the cooler. it is a very poor design.

by the way I did not have to remove the front bumper to get to it, gust the the two front grills.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I replaced my oil cooler last week , it was the same problem as yours the stealer charged me about $1,080.00 USD + labor !
and the stupid thing that got me crazy they charged me 70 USD for removing the front bumper !!
I paid 1,440 to replace my oil cooler on $tealer.
When I was trying to drive my car to think about it, they said they won't let the car out because it's too dangerous

Hope $tealer doesn't do the same thing to you.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I paid 1,440 to replace my oil cooler on $tealer.
When I was trying to drive my car to think about it, they said they won't let the car out because it's too dangerous

Hope $tealer doesn't do the same thing to you.
No they didn't !! they just wanted me to pay , take my car and get my *** out . :grinyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts