BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my leaking OEM oil cooler with a new OEM oil cooler. Do I need to purchase anything else beside the oil cooler such as new bushings, etc?

The job looks fairly easy but I am not sure if there are other little parts required?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I am about to replace my leaking OEM oil cooler with a new OEM oil cooler. Do I need to purchase anything else beside the oil cooler such as new bushings, etc?

The job looks fairly easy but I am not sure if there are other little parts required?
New O-Rings I believe are a good idea.

Requires removing your bumper. My indy shop quoted me about 1.5 hours of labor max...although another indy shop quoted me 2.5 hours max.

Reactions: drewTT

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New O-Rings I believe are a good idea.

Requires removing your bumper. My indy shop quoted me about 1.5 hours of labor max...although another indy shop quoted me 2.5 hours max.
Thanks. Yeah, looks pretty easy. I am going to do it myself. Just need to buy the proper pinch clamp for the oil lines.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
have you considered getting your new as yet uncontaminated cooler welded (brazed?) together where as i understand it the pressed in fittings leak? I was toying with buying a new one and doing this to be ready when mine starts to leak...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you considered getting your new as yet uncontaminated cooler welded (brazed?) together where as i understand it the pressed in fittings leak? I was toying with buying a new one and doing this to be ready when mine starts to leak...
Yes. Mine doesn't appear to leak from the fittings but rather a crack. At least that's what my shop said. I will just replace it. Parts Geek has them for around $330 for OEM.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yes. Mine doesn't appear to leak from the fittings but rather a crack. At least that's what my shop said. I will just replace it. Parts Geek has them for around $330 for OEM.
Mine leaked from a crack as well. My indy shop tried applying epoxy to it (they don't have the material to weld aluminum), and it was a good band-aid for a few weeks, but eventually it started leaking again. Ended up just buying a new OEM oil cooler from parksgeek as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
New o rings should come with the cooler. The bumper can be removed in less than 10 minutes. No need to remove headlights. Easy job and no other parts should be needed. You'll be amazed at all the dirt and stuff behind the oil cooler. Great time to clean it out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New o rings should come with the cooler. The bumper can be removed in less than 10 minutes. No need to remove headlights. Easy job and no other parts should be needed. You'll be amazed at all the dirt and stuff behind the oil cooler. Great time to clean it out.
"Should" is always the key word. :biggrinbounce: Thanks for the heads up on leaving the lights in place. Hate messing with those.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I installed my RPI one myself so if I can do it anyone can kinggf

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had mine welded ($80) 2.5 years ago because there was no aftermarket oil coolers back then. Be sure not to drop the little screws that hold the cooler in place. It took me a long time to find then. I didn't take my bumper off, I took the kidneys out and work from there. Sometimes long and skinny is the way to go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
oil cooler

Just had mine done yesterday. I was going to do it myself but my indy quoted me $200 (it ended be $300 in the end) and I let him do it.
I bought mine form Amazon for $266 (OEM part), Amazon.com: Behr Hella Service Oil Cooler: Automotive
and had a custom welder shop reinforce the trouble area for another $70.
I hope I wont have any issues again but I kept the old one, will clean it and weld it as well, just in case!
My indy guy say that its not a difficult job but tedious, it takes time taking the bumper off.
In the DYI section there is a detailed with photos post on removing it and installing the RPI cooler, you can get an idea what is expected.
Good luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just removed my stock cooler and installed my RPi oil cooler. Took a couple hours but with the DIY it was pretty easy. Just have to get over the anxiety of removing the bumper and putting it back on.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ran into a huge problem today during the swap. I reconnected everything (including brand new OEM o-rings) and most of the oil gushed out as soon as I turned the car on to check my work for leaks. I didn't see where it could have came out like that but I can only assume that it was from the hose fittings. My garage floor is a disaster...

Anyone have an idea what the issue could be? I will be putting it on a flatbed tomorrow and sending it to my shop. Still, I can't believe that I somehow f'd it up this bad...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts